Windows 10: Windows Storage Spaces Questions

Discus and support Windows Storage Spaces Questions in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I'm new to Windows Storage Spaces and have a few questions. In Windows 10 Pro, I have an enclosure/pool with 8 drives with a two way... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by AMGOMG, Nov 21, 2016.

1. AMGOMG Win User

Windows Storage Spaces Questions

Hello everyone, I'm new to Windows Storage Spaces and have a few questions. In Windows 10 Pro, I have an enclosure/pool with 8 drives with a two way mirror storage space that has 1 column, and a 4 drive enclosure/pool with a parity storage space that has 3 columns. My questions are;

1. Can both of these spaces withstand only 1 drive failure, or is one better than the other?

2. If a drive fails on either of the pools will it begin to repair and assimilate the data onto the other drives automatically, or do I need to begin the repair process manually?

3. Once a repair process is done and a bad drive is removed at that point am I back to 1 drive fault tolerance again, even without adding another drive?

4. Does having 8 drives increase the resiliency or does it still allow for only 1 drive failure like if I were using only 2 drives?

5. What would happen to the 8 drive pool If I removed two drives at once, would any data be available or would the two may mirror storage space not even be visible?

I guess I'm just a little confused about the whole idea of columns particularly with my 8 drive pool two way mirror only having 1 column. I greatly appreciate any feedback to my questions, perhaps I'm not asking the right questions so feel free too inquire further if more information is needed. If answers to these specific questions are posted elsewhere please simply point me in the right direction.

:)

AMGOMG, Nov 21, 2016
  2. AMGOMG Win User

Hello everyone, I'm new to Windows Storage Spaces and have a few questions. In Windows 10 Pro, I have an enclosure/pool with 8 drives with a two way mirror storage space that has 1 column, and a 4 drive enclosure/pool with a parity
    storage space that has 3 columns. My questions are;

1. Can both of these spaces withstand only 1 drive failure, or is one better than the other?

2. If a drive fails on either of the pools will it begin to repair and assimilate the data onto the other drives automatically, or do I need to begin the repair process manually?

3. Once a repair process is done and a bad drive is removed at that point am I back to 1 drive fault tolerance again, even without adding another drive?

4. Does having 8 drives increase the resiliency or does it still allow for only 1 drive failure like if I were using only 2 drives?

5. What would happen to the 8 drive pool If I removed two drives at once, would any data be available or would the two may mirror storage space not even be visible?

I guess I'm just a little confused about the whole idea of columns particularly with my 8 drive pool two way mirror only having 1 column. I greatly appreciate any feedback to my questions, perhaps I'm not asking the right questions so feel free too inquire
    further if more information is needed.

AMGOMG, Nov 21, 2016
  3. Windows Storage Spaces Questions

I suggest you post this question on MS TechNet instead.

RobertJWin, Nov 21, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

Berton, Nov 21, 2016
  5. AMGOMG Win User
    AMGOMG, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Storage Spaces Questions - Similar Threads - Storage Spaces Questions

2. Storage Space and File Location Question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage Space and File Location Question: I got a work desktop last Christmas after using a laptop for a while and got the notification that I no longer had enough OneDrive space. Something I did not realize was that every document and photo I created on my new computer was synced up to OneDrive as someone who works...
  3. Storage Space and File Location Question

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage Space and File Location Question: I got a work desktop last Christmas after using a laptop for a while and got the notification that I no longer had enough OneDrive space. Something I did not realize was that every document and photo I created on my new computer was synced up to OneDrive as someone who works...
  4. Storage Space and File Location Question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Storage space question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Storage space question: Curious to know why I can’t expand my storage space volume. I have 8X10TB storage space array with parity. I created a 30TB volume initially and now I want to extend that drive to use more of my pool. But it gives me an error saying it cannot be extend because oh the number...
  6. Questions about Windows Storage Spaces

Questions about Windows Storage Spaces: I am planning on putting together a home built file server/NAS/Plex server system for personal use, and I am interested in using the RAID-esque qualities of Windows Storage Spaces. From what I've gather from watching YouTube videos, I gather there are three things that make...
  7. Storage spaces question.

Storage spaces question.: I have a 15TB Array (5x3TB) Mechanical. I have a 512GB 970 Pro NVME. I want to accelerate (cache) the array with the NVME. Is this possible under 10 pro with storage spaces, or any inbuilt method? Asrock taichi X470, 2700x. submitted by /u/korelabs [link] [comments]...
  8. reserved storage space and May 2020 update questions.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    reserved storage space and May 2020 update questions.: I have a question. I have a dell inspiron 3542 2 gb ram, 32 gb. Emmc storage notebook. Last month I had 12 gb. free storage. I did the May 2020 cumulative security update and it used up 3 gb. of storage. I now have 8.84 gb. free. After June 2020 security update, now 8.24 gb....
  9. Question about Storage Spaces

Question about Storage Spaces: Hello. I currently use a Storage Space configuration in which I've combined 2 1TB drives into 1 storage pool with simple/no resiliency (essentially RAID 0). I'm now running out of space in this pool and was wondering if I can add a single 2 Tb drive (of another brand than...
  10. Questions about "Storage Spaces"

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Questions about "Storage Spaces": Hi everyone, I'm using Win 7 and use Disk manager to span my 5 HDD's together into one drive. Been doing this for years. I am interested in using Storage Spaces (SS) to gain the benefit of parity. I just can't find the answers to these questions. Thank for helping. 1. Are...