Windows 10: Windows storage spaces with external 2 bay HDD enclosure

Discus and support Windows storage spaces with external 2 bay HDD enclosure in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi there I can't seem to decide what's the best way option connecting a 2 Bay HDD external enclosure to a laptop for maximum performance. The HDD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by jimbo45, Apr 29, 2017.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Windows storage spaces with external 2 bay HDD enclosure

Hi there

I can't seem to decide what's the best way option connecting a 2 Bay HDD external enclosure to a laptop for maximum performance.

The HDD enclosure can connect via e-sata or a USB 3 connection -- I have to use the USB 3 connection as there's no e-sata external connection on the laptop. These enclosures only need 1 USB / e-sata connector as the hardware in the computer has the multi-port detection in it (been standard for ages these days).

The HDD enclosure has a built in switchable option - Run as RAID 0, Run as RAID 1, Run as JBOD (Just a bunch of Disks i.e it will show the whole thing as a single HDD) or as discrete disks -- i.e it will show 2 separate disks.

Now I want to use storage spaces so I'm tempted to use the "run as separate disks" option -- Windows will then see 2 HDD's which I can create into a storage space.

On these multi-bay relatively cheap HDD enclosures my impression is that the built in RAID controllers are far inferior to using Software -- on Linux that's certainly true - the mdadm kernel RAID works far superiorly to running these enclosures using built in RAID.

Any idea as to using these types of HDD's with Storage spaces vs the built in hardware RAID.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Apr 29, 2017

2. Disk Activity / Polling with Windows 10 Storage Spaces Feature

Greetings from Canada,

Hoping someone can answer my query concerning Storage Spaces. I setting up an external enclosure with 2 * 4 TB retail WD HDD's.

I have been experimenting with the Storage Spaces feature and was able to successfully create a two way mirror of space using these two drives, similar to a RAID 1 configuration.

I have noticed though that there seems to been frequent disk activity which is indicated by the enclosures drive lights. This is a regular occurrence and the activity lights often alternate between the two installed drives.

I do not believe there is any program per se that is causing this drive activity.

My question is does Windows Storage Spaces poll / access these shared drives as part of its process / monitoring of the drives. Perhaps this is the cause of the apparent drive activity. It should be noted that when I use these two drives as separate entities
    (ie like external HDD) the drive light activity does not occur.

Any feedback or information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Regards

S

Ottawa Scott, Apr 29, 2017
  3. Storage Spaces with External Drives

I am considering getting an external enclosure for multiple HDDs and then using Storage Spaces to create a simple pool so it will be usable as one large space. My question is: if I connect this enclosure to another computer, how will that work? Will the
    other computer recognize the pool? Or will it show up as multiple drives? Not work at all? I don't currently have an easy way to test this right now and would appreciate anyone's experiences setting up a pool with external drives and then using them on another
    PC. Thanks!

nfrsbmschmck, Apr 29, 2017
Thema:

Windows storage spaces with external 2 bay HDD enclosure

1. Windows storage spaces with external 2 bay HDD enclosure - Similar Threads - storage spaces external

2. M.2 SSD in external bay

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    M.2 SSD in external bay: I have been using FX6300 machine for over 8 years and decided to build a new one with 5600X. My problem is with the two M.2 SSD after moving to an external bay. The two M.2s are recognized and HD Tune indicates read speed of the M.2 is 2.5MB/sec . W10 installed on one of the...
  3. M.2 SSD in external bay

in Windows 10 Support
    M.2 SSD in external bay: I have been using FX6300 machine for over 8 years and decided to build a new one with RX5600X. My problem is with the two M.2 SSD after moving to an external bay. Only one of the two M.2s is recognized and HD Tune indicates read speed is 2.5MB/sec . I have been using U.2 SSDs...
  4. 4 bay external enclosure (non raid) connected to esata/sata

4 bay external enclosure (non raid) connected to esata/sata: 4 bay external enclosure (non raid) - connected via esata cable to sata port on mobo. win 10 19042.631 64bit asus Z87-a mobo drivers up to date Mediasonic ProBox HF2-SU3S2 AHCI in bios Enclosure works fine on usb3.0 trying to free up a usb port and some speed by using esata....
  5. Storage spaces and Samsung HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage spaces and Samsung HDD: I have just upgraded from win 7 to Win 10. With win 7 I had a RAID 10 setup with 3 Samsung HD drives and a single WD HDD. All drives are 1TB. I have installed a Samsung NVMA on the M/B and have installed the new OS on that, so I want to use the 4 HD drives as a storage...
  6. recommendations for RELIABLE 1 or 2 bay HDD docking station

recommendations for RELIABLE 1 or 2 bay HDD docking station: I have this 2 bay Orico docking station that has not been reliable for a long time. I think they no longer sell this product. So I just tossed this device into the recycle bin. So i'm seeking recommendations for a brand and model of docking station for both 2.5" and 3.5"...
  7. USB 3 dual bay HDD storage with built in RAID

USB 3 dual bay HDD storage with built in RAID: Hi there This is a Brilliant device for people who need to add more storage without having to go NAS route etc etc. HornetTek X2-U3 JBOD USB 3.0 (HT-3210U3) - DUAL BAY - JBOD - HDD ENCLOSURES Cost 50 EUR -- small -- just a tiny bit bigger than the actual HDD's...
  8. Looking for a 4-bay USB 3.0 external HDD enclosure

Looking for a 4-bay USB 3.0 external HDD enclosure: I'm having a major issue with my current external hard drive enclosures (standard mechanic drives) that I'm trying to resolve in another thread so I won't go into that here: Lost access to drive - "Access is Denied" Basically on my new PC my current enclosures are...
  9. HDD not working with Enclosure

HDD not working with Enclosure: I had an old laptop that wouldn't boot, so someone replaced my HDD and gave me the bad one back. They didn't explain what was wrong with it. A few months ago I bought and enclosure (ORICO 2588US3) to use the HDD with my current PC running Windows 10. When I plug it in, it...
  10. Create a storage space with parity redundancy in a USB enclosure?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Create a storage space with parity redundancy in a USB enclosure?: Hello, how are you? I am wanting to create a storage pool with parity redundancy in windows 10 storage spaces with 3 drives. 2 for data and one for parity. I will be wanting to be able to later expand the pool by adding more data drives as the storage needs increase. To...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. storage spaces and usb enclosure