Windows 10: windows System image generation

Discus and support windows System image generation in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Have had consistent problems with windows 10 system imaging. Goes through the whole process and at the very end gives an error screen. Backup medium... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by ruledl, Sep 6, 2016.

1. ruledl Win User

windows System image generation

Have had consistent problems with windows 10 system imaging. Goes through the whole process and at the very end gives an error screen.
    Backup medium is Intel 234Gig SSD drive internal.
    Found that you MUST alter permissions on your target drive or this error screen always appears. Remember that Administrators on windows 10 will not give you blanket privileges.

:)

ruledl, Sep 6, 2016
  2. dharge Win User

System Image failure with error: The system image restore failed. Error details: The parameter is incorrect (0x80070057)" on Windows 10

Here's my issue in a nutshell. Had an issue with my HP Envy 17 Leap Motion. I have Windows 8.1 upgraded to 10. Made a system image disk on an external hard drive and sent the unit back to HP for repair. HP had to replace the motherboard and some other small
    issues. Got the system back and attempted to re-load the system image disk and got the following messages - "The system image restore failed. Error details: The parameter is incorrect (0x80070057)"

Tried to do a recovery and got this message:

"Your PC/Device needs to be repaired

A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed.

Error code: 0x000000f

You'll need to use recovery tools. If you don't have any installation media (like a disc or USB device, contact your PC administrator or PC/Device manufacturer."

(btw...I have installation DVD and a USB recovery drive)

Next it was suggested I reset the PC. I got this message:

"The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again."

Have no clue how to do that.

I hope I've give you enough information to offer a suggestion.

Original title: System Image failure

dharge, Sep 6, 2016
  3. System Image failure with error: The system image restore failed. Error details: The parameter is incorrect (0x80070057)" on Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand that you are unable to reload the system image disk after getting the laptop from the repair shop.

As you have created a system image before making any hardware changes, I would like to inform that: the supporting files for the new hardware wouldn't be present on the system image. Also, wouldn't match with the existing system files.

System image doesn't contain any of your data, it restore your computer using a system image file. The system image overwrites your computer's state and files.

I suggest you to use an ISO file for Windows 10, try the reinstall Windows 10 and check if it helps.

I recommend you to refer to the Microsoft article: Recovery options in Windows 10

Section: Use installation media to reinstall Windows 10

I would like to inform that on Windows 8.1, the product key would be pre-injected on the Motherboard. As you have changed the hardware (Where product key will be installed), you will face activation issues.

I suggest you to refer to: Activation in Windows 10 in case of such situations.

Section: Activating Windows 10 after a hardware configuration change

Hope it help. Kindly update the status of this issue, we will be happy to help you further.

Deepika Gowda, Sep 6, 2016
  4. EdTittel Win User

What permissions did you assign to the target drive? Can you post a screen shot of the permissions screen, please?
    Having a similar problem...
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Sep 6, 2016
  5. ruledl Win User
    Hi Ed
    You must first "Take Ownership" of the target backup drive or petition you are using for the image location
    Do this by rt clicking on the drive and select properties
    Select Security TAB and then select the "Advanced" tab toward the bottom. Adjacent the Owner: line, select Change. Under the "Select User and Group" window click on the "Advanced" tab and then the "Find Now" tab. Scroll down until you find your user name and select it.
    I am assuming your user name is part of the Administrators group. Press OK and it will appear in the window. click OK again and it will replace the existing owner selection. You need to do this in order to select the users & groups to grant the appropriate permissions. Press OK and you will return to the Security tab screen with a list of the group & user names with their corresponding permissions for this area.
    I selected the following by now pressing the "Edit" key and repeating the same procedure explained above.
    Everyone
    ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES
    Authenticated Users
    SYSTEM
    Your User Name
    Administrators
    Users
    Backup Operators
    SERVICE

This list is a bit overkill, but I didn't know which area the image routine would trip on so I included all of them to be safe.
    Select each name and assign full control to each one.
    Hope this helps.
    I don't know your level of expertise level with windows 10 permission assignments so I went into a little more detail ref my process.
    I not only did this on the main route of the drive but also each sub folder listing below it just to ensure all permissions were intact.

ruledl, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. windows System image generation - Similar Threads - System image generation

2. Why can't generate some images?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why can't generate some images?: Hi... Why I can't generate an image of some god especially lord Murugan images using Copilot. Its generate using different face rather than commonly use image....
  3. Why can't generate some images?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why can't generate some images?: Hi... Why I can't generate an image of some god especially lord Murugan images using Copilot. Its generate using different face rather than commonly use image....
  4. How to use Copilot to generate Images?

in Windows 10 News
    How to use Copilot to generate Images?: [IMG]If you are keen to learn how to use Windows Copilot to generate images, you are at the right place. Since its inception, Microsoft Copilot has been known for its AI-powered services like generating web search results and answers, writing a song/poem/creating a code, or...
  5. Why is Whiteboard Generating a Copy of a Locked Image?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is Whiteboard Generating a Copy of a Locked Image?: We have a whiteboard with an image that is locked to the background, this image is used as a template by the user. Ever since the update months ago, when you click and drag to move the canvas, a small copy of the locked background image is generated on the screen followed by...
  6. Why is Whiteboard Generating a Copy of a Locked Image?

Why is Whiteboard Generating a Copy of a Locked Image?: We have a whiteboard with an image that is locked to the background, this image is used as a template by the user. Ever since the update months ago, when you click and drag to move the canvas, a small copy of the locked background image is generated on the screen followed by...
  7. Windows System Image

Windows System Image: I have Windows 7 on my current PC and will be getting a new Windows 10 PC - if I do a System Image backup onto an external hard drive, will I be able to restore some items to my new PC? Thanks....
  8. Windows system image

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows system image: is it normal for a system image to take about double the space? so on my c drive is has 32gb used and on a clean external hdd the system image uses 69gbs of space so my question is why is the system image bigger than whats on my c drive ?...
  9. Generate System Diagnostics Report in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Generate System Diagnostics Report in Windows 10: How to: Generate System Diagnostics Report in Windows 10 How to Generate System Diagnostics Report in Windows 10 [img] Information A system diagnostics report is a part of Performance Monitor that details the status of local hardware resources, system response times,...
  10. Generate System Performance Report in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Generate System Performance Report in Windows 10: How to: Generate System Performance Report in Windows 10 How to Generate System Performance Report in Windows 10 [img] Information A system performance report is a part of Performance Monitor that details the status of local hardware resources, system response times,...