Windows 10: Windows Ten having a problem accessing the Workgroup

Discus and support Windows Ten having a problem accessing the Workgroup in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My first post on Tenforums. A recent addition to my home network simply called HOMENET consisting of an XP-style Workgroup brought forward to Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by loninappleton, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Windows Ten having a problem accessing the Workgroup

My first post on Tenforums.

A recent addition to my home network simply called HOMENET consisting of an XP-style Workgroup brought forward to Windows 7 on two PCs. Now I've added a third running Windows 10 to experiment with. The Win10 is producing an error and not recognized on the workgroup called HOMENET. I can make a screen shot of the error the text of which is vague and says it could be this or it could be that involving passwords or permissions which are not usually a problem.

My question is : Are there common errors with Windows 10 combined with an old style Workgroup?
    I felt the need to upgrade but even early on, I've sought out the Classic Shell programs that get the old Windows 7 desktop back and not so much glitz and eye candy.

I'll make a second post when I get a screen shot.

:)

loninappleton, Jul 30, 2018
  2. olibara Win User

Windows 10 not accessible on Workgroup

Hello
    I have a workgroup of 3 computers
    1 Windows 7
    2 Windows 10
    Same workgroup name for each computer
    From My Windows 7 Machine I set-up the sharing

I have Amin Login/Password on each machine
    So now I can acces and browse my Windows 7 machine from my Windows 10 machine
    But if I try to acces the Windows 10 Machine from the W7 machines I get a Login Pasword form suggesting a domain which is the name of My W7 machine

But now way to access the Windows 10 machine with my usual Login Password

Thanks for any help

olibara, Jul 30, 2018
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Switch from Homegroup to Workgroup

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows+ X, select
      System.

• Click on Advanced System settings.

• Under Computer Name tab click on
      change.

• Under “Member Of” change the Workgroup name

• Then click on OK, then when prompted
      reboot your device.

And also refer the article given below and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/join-or-create-a-workgroup

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, Jul 30, 2018
  4. Windows Ten having a problem accessing the Workgroup

In Windows 10 Home - why would you disable the ability to change the default workgroup name from "workgroup" to something else?

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

• How are you trying to change the work group name?
    Have you tried as below steps if not I suggest you to follow as below and check if it helps.

• Press “Windows+X”.
    • Click on “system”.
    • Then under “computer name, domain and workgroup settings” option.
    • Click on change “settings” on the right hand side.
    • Click on “computer name” tab.
    • Under the option “to rename this computer and change its domain or workgroup, click change”
      click on “change option”.
    • Under “computer name tab” enter the computer name accordingly and click on
      “ok”.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Jul 30, 2018
Thema:

Windows Ten having a problem accessing the Workgroup

1. Windows Ten having a problem accessing the Workgroup - Similar Threads - Ten having problem

2. Please Help! Problem With Workgroup!!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Please Help! Problem With Workgroup!!!: I have three computers. Two are Windows 10 machines and the new one is a Windows 11 machine. The two Windows 10 machines can see the Windows 11 machine but not the other way around. The Windows 11 machine can't see the Windows 10 machines. I am SOOOOO aggravated as I've been...
  3. Please Help! Problem With Workgroup!!!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Please Help! Problem With Workgroup!!!: I have three computers. Two are Windows 10 machines and the new one is a Windows 11 machine. The two Windows 10 machines can see the Windows 11 machine but not the other way around. The Windows 11 machine can't see the Windows 10 machines. I am SOOOOO aggravated as I've been...
  4. Workgroup access

Workgroup access: My desktop running Windows 10 Pro 20H2 connects to router via Ethernet. My laptop running Windows 10 Home 20H2 connects to router via WiFi. Both have been moved to the same novel workgroup name. On "This PC" under "Network", the laptop can see the desktop, but the desktop...
  5. Help, my friend is having the same problem on windows ten.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help, my friend is having the same problem on windows ten.: submitted by /u/TheNineteen88 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/m4uqgc/help_my_friend_is_having_the_same_problem_on/
  6. Workgroup access asking for login credentials

Workgroup access asking for login credentials: Dear reader, I have been wanting to get the answer to my questions for a long time. Every where I ready an answer to my problem it talks about turning off the password protection in folder sharing. I have done it a few times but my problem still stands. I have two...
  7. Workgroup connection problem

Workgroup connection problem: Hello, I use 2 computers at home, both connected with LAN. They both run windows 10 v1803 In the past(2 months ago) it was no problem to share files in explorer in the Downloads map with the 2 computers . Both have the same workgroup name. When i connect in explorer...
  8. After KB4058043, cannot access workgroup

After KB4058043, cannot access workgroup: Everything was working until I installed KB4058043. I do not know if that was a coincidence or not, but after the reboot, I cannot access any of the computers on my workgroup. I do use Kaspersky anti-virus (reinstalled it just in case). I do see this: [img]...
  9. Windows 10 not accessible on Workgroup

Windows 10 not accessible on Workgroup: Hello I have a workgroup of 3 computers 1 Windows 7 2 Windows 10 Same workgroup name for each computer From My Windows 7 Machine I set-up the sharing Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings I have Amin...
  10. Workgroup Problems

Workgroup Problems: I have two PCs, a desktop and a laptop, on my LAN. Both machines now have Windows 10. I am simply trying to connect both to a Workgroup so that I can share files. On the desktop, I go into Control Panel, and click Homegroup. I see a message saying “(Username) on (Desktop...