Windows 10: Windows Themes opens 'Desktop Icon Settings'

Discus and support Windows Themes opens 'Desktop Icon Settings' in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I seem to be having a problem with opening Windows Themes as instead of the theme applying as soon as I click on the file, it is opening the 'Desktop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by TomJ123, Dec 17, 2016.

1. TomJ123 Win User

Windows Themes opens 'Desktop Icon Settings'

I seem to be having a problem with opening Windows Themes as instead of the theme applying as soon as I click on the file, it is opening the 'Desktop Icon Settings' instead (see image). I've never had this problem in the past and have only noticed it since trying to download a new theme today.

I'm downloading the Themes from the Microsoft website and have checked that I am downloading compatible themes. The default app for opening the themes is currently set as 'Windows Shell Common Dll'.

Can anybody help as to suggest what's causing this to happen?

Thanks
    Windows Themes opens 'Desktop Icon Settings' [​IMG]

:)

TomJ123, Dec 17, 2016

2. System Icons Keeping Moving

To start with try following troubleshooting steps

1. Auto arrange settings

Right-click on the desktop, select View.

Make sure Auto arrange icons is unchecked.

Also, uncheck Align icons to grid.

2. Prevent themes from changing the icons

Right-click on an empty area on your Windows 10 desktop, and click on Personalize.

The Personalization settings app will open. Click on Themes in the left panel.

Under Related Settings, click on Desktop icon settings to open its configuration box.

Here, uncheck the Allow themes to change desktop icons option.

Do let me know if you have any more question or require further help. If above didn't work, I will supply more troubleshooting steps to solve this problem.

E for Excel, Dec 17, 2016
  3. BRCjr Win User
    Icons disappear win10

Not completely understanding but the icons(shortcuts) on my desktop were made by going to site in Windows Edge then opening with Internet Explorer option from Edge then create shortcut. The common icons of Microsoft by all settings>personalization>Themes>Desktop
    icon settings

BRCjr, Dec 17, 2016
Thema:

Windows Themes opens 'Desktop Icon Settings'

1. Windows Themes opens 'Desktop Icon Settings' - Similar Threads - Themes opens 'Desktop

2. When I open Setting -> Personalisation -> Themes no themes are appearing?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When I open Setting -> Personalisation -> Themes no themes are appearing?: Whenever I open Settings -> Personalisation -> Themes no themes are appearing. Can anyone navigate me on how I can fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-i-open-setting-personalisation-themes-no/0ca94fff-ee6e-4264-9dc0-80253b2254b1
  3. When I open Setting -> Personalisation -> Themes no themes are appearing?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I open Setting -> Personalisation -> Themes no themes are appearing?: Whenever I open Settings -> Personalisation -> Themes no themes are appearing. Can anyone navigate me on how I can fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-i-open-setting-personalisation-themes-no/0ca94fff-ee6e-4264-9dc0-80253b2254b1
  4. Icons Theme

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icons Theme: How do I change my icons theme? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icons-theme/52620fe8-0840-49bc-ae44-fd5a4fed7558
  5. Icons Theme

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Icons Theme: How do I change my icons theme? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icons-theme/52620fe8-0840-49bc-ae44-fd5a4fed7558
  6. Icons Theme

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Desktop Themes

Desktop Themes: So I got a desktop thru SNAP Benefits and PCs for People. It is a great program and has helped myself and many others get a decent home computer for a discounted price. I am greatly appreciative of this I want to say but.....Why am I not able to change my theme or backround??...
  8. Desktop icons not opening

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop icons not opening: Many of my Desktop icons including browsers, email accounts and bank sites will not open. I took the computer to a Tech and he hooked it up and everything opened. I brought the computer home and the icons won't open. Frustration has set in. Can anybody help? Care...
  9. Desktop icons settings

Desktop icons settings: I like to place a Computer / This PC on my desktop. one of my main reasons for this is the ability to right click the icon to access Manage. For some unknown reason, while Manage is still on the the right click menu, nothing happens when I click on it. Any ideas?...
  10. Theme settings not opening with UXstyle installed

Theme settings not opening with UXstyle installed: I recently installed a new windows 10 update, after updating I reinstalled uxstyle and theme patcher, unfortunately when I go to settings > personalization > themes, settings crashes! Is there a solution or will I have to wait for an update? 86437