Windows 10: Windows thinks I'm in an entirely different continent?

Discus and support Windows thinks I'm in an entirely different continent? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So I first noticed this problem when my automatic time zone for some reason jumped ahead to Central European Time when I'm actually in US Eastern Time.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Dav23, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Dav23 Win User

Windows thinks I'm in an entirely different continent?

So I first noticed this problem when my automatic time zone for some reason jumped ahead to Central European Time when I'm actually in US Eastern Time. Opening up the Maps and Weather apps pinpoints my location to a city in the Netherlands when I've literally never stepped foot in Europe before. I tried resetting my modem/router but it didn't solve anything, but then I discovered it was a Windows/Microsoft problem.

Trying to determine my location with any Microsoft app or involving one would point me to the same Dutch city, but using a non-Microsoft product would correctly place me in the US e.g. Using even Google Maps in Edge would place me in Europe, but using it in Firefox/Chrome would show my correct location. Searching up my IP address also correctly shows my location. Restarting and updating to 1803 my computer and flushing my DNS via cmd has not fixed the issue, and even switching to an entirely different internet connection via my phone's hotspot doesn't do anything either so I'm currently at a loss as what to do.

:)

Dav23, Jun 3, 2018

2. Windows Suddenly Thinks I'm My 9 Year Old Son.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10.

To assist you better, I would like to ask some questions.

• Did you change your account to a Microsoft Account?
    • Which email ID did you provide to change your account to a Microsoft Account?
    • Do you get two different accounts in the login screen?

I suggest you to enable the built-in Administrator account from the steps provided below and manage the account from the built-in admin account.

• Press Windows key + X and select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type the below command:
    Net user administrator active:yes

3. Restart the computer and login to the built-in Administrator account.

4. Change the account type which is turned as a Child Account.

5. Sign-out from the built-in administrator account and login to the other account which is made as the Administrator and check for status.

After creating a new Administrator account, disable the built-in Administrator account by following the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X and select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type the below command:
    Net user administrator active:no

Hope the information is helpful. Please revert with necessary information and we'll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Jun 4, 2018
  3. Pavan_N Win User
    I'm having a microphone problem in 2 different computers (laptop and desktop).

Hi Márcio,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I appreciate the troubleshooting steps you have tried to resolve the issue.

Please answer these questions to assist you better.

• What is the make and model of your Microphone?
    • What is the model of your Laptop and Desktop?
    • Do you get any error message?
    • Did you make any Hardware and Software changes in your computer prior to this issue?

I suggest you to refer the Microsoft link below and perform the troubleshooting steps suggested.

Fix sound problems.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/fix-sound-problems#v1h=tab01

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thanks

Pavan_N, Jun 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows thinks I'm in an entirely different continent?

1. Windows thinks I'm in an entirely different continent? - Similar Threads - thinks I'm entirely

2. Websites think I'm in Singapore while I'm not

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Websites think I'm in Singapore while I'm not: Title says the issue. Not sure when exactly this happens but when I'm about to open disney hotstar today it says "Videos on www.hotstar.com/id are not available in Singapore" and prompts me to proceed to the website's singapore versionTried :- GPS Off > Restart > GPS On >...
  3. Websites think I'm in Singapore while I'm not

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Websites think I'm in Singapore while I'm not: Title says the issue. Not sure when exactly this happens but when I'm about to open disney hotstar today it says "Videos on www.hotstar.com/id are not available in Singapore" and prompts me to proceed to the website's singapore versionTried :- GPS Off > Restart > GPS On >...
  4. Find My Device - says my laptop is on a different continent!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Find My Device - says my laptop is on a different continent!: I have a laptop with new Windows 11 Pro install fresh install by myself , was not upgrade or restored. Running fine for several months.The laptop is connected via wifi to my home internet no VPN. My IP location on various websites accessed via Edge will correctly show the IP...
  5. i think i'm infected.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    i think i'm infected.: i was trying to download off a website i didn't trust. kaspersky was running, so i figured i'd be fine. i had adblock and clicked on the legitimate download link, i was expecting to download a .rar file but it downloaded a .msi installer (sorta like exes, i'm not sure if...
  6. Windows 10 thinks I'm offline

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 thinks I'm offline: For several weeks now some component of Windows has been under the mistaken impression that the PC is offline. The symptoms are: Microsoft Edge consistently reports "Hmmm... cannot reach this page". Windows Update won't work. Gives this error message: "There were some...
  7. Cortana thinking I'm a minor

in Cortana
    Cortana thinking I'm a minor: Hi, I was connecting up my iPhone to my laptop and wanted to use Cortana to send and receive messages. I followed the instructions, clicked it and it said I was a minor. I read that 13 is when you can use Cortana and I'm 15 and don't have a family account. I tried to up my...
  8. Website think I'm in India

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Website think I'm in India: Some websites such as booking.com or myprotein.com either provide costs in Indian currency or ask me if I want to go through to the Indian website as my location shows as India. This happens on all web browsers. I do not have a VPN or have recently used one. I have checked...
  9. I'm hacked I think

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I'm hacked I think: Next to the time in my taskbar is the word hacked. I am a novice and don't know where to start to find out how this got there. It was appearing every now and then , but is now there all the time. I'm assuming I should be concerned about this. I ran SuperAntispyware and found...
  10. Windows thinks that I'm not connected to the internet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows thinks that I'm not connected to the internet: Split from this thread. Hello, I have the problem with Edge that doesn't connect, I have the problem for a few days. If I review my net status, says that I'm not connect to internet, but that it's not truth; I can connect with any other browser or mailing app. I have...