Windows 10: Windows Thinks My Monitor Is Generic, Won't Let Me Change Resolution

Discus and support Windows Thinks My Monitor Is Generic, Won't Let Me Change Resolution in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I have an Acer S201HL that I bought in 2012. My last machine had no trouble with it, but my current machine insists that it's a generic non-plug'n'play... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by tcwill00, Mar 15, 2017.

1. tcwill00 Win User

Windows Thinks My Monitor Is Generic, Won't Let Me Change Resolution

I have an Acer S201HL that I bought in 2012. My last machine had no trouble with it, but my current machine insists that it's a generic non-plug'n'play and locks the resolution to 1024x768 and grays out the resolution options so I can't change it.

About two weeks ago, it suddenly decided to acknowledge that my monitor was widescreen and jumped my resolution straight up to 1600x900. A couple of days later, it was down to 1024x768 but I was able to change the resolution with Display Settings.

Woke up this morning, checked the weather, all good as far as I can recall. Came back a few minutes later and bam, 1024x768 and this time it won't let me change it. I tried a restart and that didn't help.

My cable is VGA, but the monitor also accepts DVI-D. I've got a DVI-D cable around somewhere, but I think I tried it when I got this new computer and it didn't help.

Any thoughts? I am gathering specs on my box and will post them as I have them.

Monitor: Acer S201HL, version bd
    OS: Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, version 1607, build 14393.953
    Machine: Lenovo, Model 10181
    CPU: Intel Core 15-4460, 3.20GHz, with 12GB RAM
    GPU: GeForce GE720, 2GB

Edit: My machine insists the monitor is a generic non-plug'n'play.

:)

tcwill00, Mar 15, 2017
  2. Cphil14 Win User

Changing Monitor Resolution

I changed my screen resolution to fit my monitor when Windows 10 was downloaded. Now the resolution has reverted to 1024 x 786, the selection box is gray, and won't let me access it to make changes. What do I do?

Cphil14, Mar 15, 2017
  3. How can I change the resolution of the Generic pnp monitor?

I want to automate browser test on a windows, and the machine has no physical monitor.

I use ssh to execute automation commands on this windows desktop remotely, and it uses the Generic pnp monitor by default.

The problem is the resolution of the Generic pnp monitor is too low, 1024x768, which is not enough to hold a browser for normal use, so many web elements are out of visible area and the tests can't run normally. We need at least 1920x1080 resolution to run
    tests correctly.

I have not find out how to change the resolution of Generic pnp monitor. Could you please help me?

Is there a way to change the resolution of Generic pnp monitor. to 1920x1080?

Or how can I solve my problem with windows in other ways?

yong~zhang666, Mar 15, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Samuria, Mar 15, 2017
  5. tcwill00 Win User
    Edit: Thanks for the welcome!

I downloaded and ran that executable for analog, and it tells me that I have Acer Incorporated Monitor (03/31/2010 1.0.0.0) "Ready to use." The rest of the drivers it lists as "no device present for use."

Windows still says I have a generic non-PnP monitor and still won't let me change resolutions.

Edit 2: I have downloaded the driver from the Acer website and attempted to install it. Windows insists that the driver for my monitor is up to date.

I tried telling Windows to use my settings in the Color Management window. Nothing happened.

I tried using the NVidia control app to create a custom resolution. It made a 1600x900 image scaled to the horizontal confines of the standard monitor it thinks I have.

I have not yet found my DVI-D cable, although I have been looking.

tcwill00, Mar 15, 2017
  6. Bill Win User
    Hi there - not sure if you're having still issues are not, but I have another idea you can try. According the specs you posted in your original post, it looks like your GPU is a GeForce GT 720. I would try downloading the latest driver from Nvidia to see how that works for you.

Drivers | GeForce

All the best,

7. tcwill00 Win User
    I downloaded the NVidia app and it says my NVidia drivers are up to date.

Well, I bought a DVI-D cable and discovered that my graphics card (which is an NVidia GeForce GT 720) only has ports for VGA and HDMI, so I had to get an adapter.

Once I had my HDMI adapted DVI-D cable connected, I discovered that my computer isn't sending a signal through it and my monitor is black.

I can't have my VGA and DVI-D cable both connected at the same time, because there isn't space.

I thought perhaps I needed to tell my monitor to switch to DVI, but with no VGA input it doesn't respond to anything except being turned off.

tcwill00, Mar 24, 2017
  8. tcwill00 Win User

Turns out my adapter is male HDMI to female DVI-I, and my cable is male-male DVI-D (specifically, this one). From what I have read online, that shouldn't be a problem? Because the extra contacts in the DVI-I cable carry analog data.

I have plugged my computer into my TV using a standard HDMI cable and it works fine, it'll even let me change resolution, so it's the cable or the monitor, and I think I can test both of those with a friend's computer soon.

Should I go ahead and spend another $10 or so on a cable that's HDMI to DVI? Probably cheaper than a new monitor.

I just wish I knew why the VGA port stopped cooperating.

tcwill00, Mar 26, 2017
  9. tcwill00 Win User
    Okay, my DVI cable works. My monitor can handle 16x9 on a Windows 7 machine with a VGA cable.

So it's looking like an issue with my monitor and its DVI port that it won't accept a DVI signal.

tcwill00, Mar 26, 2017
  10. tcwill00 Win User
    Okay, I got an adapter to plug my VGA card into my HDMI socket and I was able to use the NVidia Control Panel (right click on the desktop) to create a custom 1600x900 resolution and it's working.

So there's a solution. I just wish I knew why the VGA mode worked for 10 days.

tcwill00, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Thinks My Monitor Is Generic, Won't Let Me Change Resolution - Similar Threads - Thinks Monitor Generic

2. 2nd Monitor resolution is 640*480 and won't let me change it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    2nd Monitor resolution is 640*480 and won't let me change it: I have a second monitor that was working perfectly fine last week, and now it is extremely zoomed in and won't let me change the display settings as it is greyed out. I run AMD Radeon, have uninstalled, reinstalled new device drivers, updated to windows 11, reset to windows...
  3. 2nd Monitor resolution is 640*480 and won't let me change it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    2nd Monitor resolution is 640*480 and won't let me change it: I have a second monitor that was working perfectly fine last week, and now it is extremely zoomed in and won't let me change the display settings as it is greyed out. I run AMD Radeon, have uninstalled, reinstalled new device drivers, updated to windows 11, reset to windows...
  4. it won't let me change pin

it won't let me change pin: the power went out and when I turned on the pc again I got met with the bit key screen so I got the bit key. Then it said that my pin had to change for security changes on this device which is **** retarded but whatever, then when I press the "set up key" button literally...
  5. it won't let me change pin

in Windows 10 Gaming
    it won't let me change pin: the power went out and when I turned on the pc again I got met with the bit key screen so I got the bit key. Then it said that my pin had to change for security changes on this device which is **** retarded but whatever, then when I press the "set up key" button literally...
  6. Windows won't let me in, forcing me to change my password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows won't let me in, forcing me to change my password: Im unable to sign in because of this issue. It says "The User's password must be changed before signing in" but the problem is that I didnt have any passwords before, this is the first logging in after downloading Windows on this computer so I left "Password" field empty and...
  7. Windows won't let me in, forcing me to change my password

Windows won't let me in, forcing me to change my password: Im unable to sign in because of this issue. It says "The User's password must be changed before signing in" but the problem is that I didnt have any passwords before, this is the first logging in after downloading Windows on this computer so I left "Password" field empty and...
  8. Windows won't let me in, forcing me to change my password

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. Windows won't let me change the language

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows won't let me change the language: So i added romanian as a language bc i needed the keyboard layout and windows changed the system language to romanian despite it being at the bottom and won't let me change it back to english and it says "will be the display language after the next connection" (translated...
  10. Won't let me change my product key

in Windows 10 Customization
    Won't let me change my product key: My computer previously had an illegitimate version of windows 10 but it caused to many problems, so I purchased an actual version, but when I go to activate windows with my new product key, it won't work and gives me the error code 0xc004f050. Idk what to do....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Generic PnP Monitor 1024x768 DELL P2414H