Windows 10: Windows thinks my USB flash disk is a ''hard drive" or something

Discus and support Windows thinks my USB flash disk is a ''hard drive" or something in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Let me explain what I really mean. A work computer screwed up my flash drive. I'm wondering if it is fixable or not. When I went back to my computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by pintree3, Dec 18, 2017.

1. pintree3 Win User

Windows thinks my USB flash disk is a ''hard drive" or something

Let me explain what I really mean. A work computer screwed up my flash drive. I'm wondering if it is fixable or not.
    When I went back to my computer to test it out Windows will beep telling me that it is recognized. Explorer shows it as a new drive "E" written as "USB Drive (E : ) <-- Note the colon ":" . However, a pop up window shows up saying, "Please insert a disk into USB Drive (E : )" As if it's a Cd drive or what-have-you. Is there anyway to repair this or not?
    Thank you.
    Note: I had to add a space after the E and before the colon or else it came out as a smiley face.
    Note: I had to add spaces above after the E and the colon and closed bracket or else it came out as a happy face.

:)

pintree3, Dec 18, 2017
  2. Leeb65 Win User

Problem accessing a networked printer w/64 bit Professional version.

SSD = Solid State Drive (a hard disk that works like a flash drive on SATA instead of USB)

HDD = Hard Disk Drive (a conventional disk drive with moving parts inside)

Leeb65, Dec 18, 2017
  3. JimWynne Win User
    MAKING A SYSTEM IMAGE

Frederik Long suggested a "500 GByte hard disk in a USB case," not a 500GB flash drive.

JimWynne, Dec 18, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Fixable - probably. Salvageable (as in recovering any data it may have held) - probably not.

To wipe the flash drive clean and restore it to a useable condition, you can use DISKPART in a Command Prompt (Admin). Use LIST DISK first to identify the disk number for your flash drive. In this example mine was disk 2.

Windows thinks my USB flash disk is a ''hard drive" or something [​IMG]

5. Bree New Member
    If you click the 'Go Advanced' button at the bottom right of the editor, you can tick 'Disable smilies in text' below the editor. Then you can type USB Drive (EWindows thinks my USB flash disk is a ''hard drive" or something :) without needing spaces.

6. pintree3 Win User
    Thanks Bree. It didn't work. The attached photo will perhaps show why.

Windows thinks my USB flash disk is a ''hard drive" or something [​IMG]

pintree3, Dec 18, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    Well, it was worth a try. Diskpart is about as low-level as you can get in Windows.

One thing to try would be to open Device Manager, uninstall that particular flash drive (you may need to use 'View > Show hidden devices' to see it) and see if that helps (probably not).

If you have another working USB flash drive of the same make/type you could try taking an image of it and restore that to the broken one. I use USB Image Tool for that. alex's coding playground » USB Image Tool In fact, after running the Diskpart demo to get that screenshot I restored that USB to its 'factory fresh' condition with an image I made before first using it.

If you have a Live version of Linux on a USB you could try booting from that to see if it has any more luck, otherwise your flash drive looks like it's fried *Sad

8. MrHudson Win User

Actually, if it was messed up,, once you plug it in, windows will pop up message saying it is damage and ask if you want to repair it. I had two that windows said were damage and asked if I wanted them repaired.

MrHudson, Dec 18, 2017
  9. Bree New Member
    There needs to be some sort of recognisable file system (or at least partition info) for it to say that, and looks like this one is more damaged than that *Sad

10. spunk Win User
    The Diskpart message says that it is a Virtual Disk CD drive, not a USB. So, this could actually be a Virtual CD drive and Not the Flash drive. A virtual CD is software used to open an ISO file.
    Press the Win key+X and choose Disk Management. In the lower pane, do you see the USB Flash Drive? Is it the same drive letter you are seeing elsewhere? Does it say that the file system is Unallocated Space? or the Disk # (ie) Disk 1, Disk 2 etc says it is Not Initialized?
    You can also press the Win Key+X and choose Device Manager. Expand Disk Drives. Does the flash show here? If so, Right click it and choose Properties. Go to the Volumes tab click the Populate button. What does it say about the drive?

spunk, Dec 20, 2017
  11. I'll get that if I plug in one of my USB card readers, and forget to put a card in it. This wouldn't happen to be something similar? I can put a card in, and then put the cap back on and it just looks like a large USB thumb drive.

You can get the virtual disk service error with normal media. I do believe the virtual disk service is needed for diskpart to run, regardless of media.

alphanumeric, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows thinks my USB flash disk is a ''hard drive" or something - Similar Threads - thinks USB flash

2. My USB Flash Drive is not working like a flash drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My USB Flash Drive is not working like a flash drive.: I've always used this flash drive, and it never had any problems. But when I started using it today, it's location did not show up in files like is automatically should. It doesn't even show the "eject hardware" option when I click on the symbol in my taskbar, but it does...
  3. My USB Flash Drive is not working like a flash drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My USB Flash Drive is not working like a flash drive.: I've always used this flash drive, and it never had any problems. But when I started using it today, it's location did not show up in files like is automatically should. It doesn't even show the "eject hardware" option when I click on the symbol in my taskbar, but it does...
  4. My USB Flash Drive is not working like a flash drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. USB flash drive

USB flash drive: Hello, I just purchased a PNY USB flash drive. After connecting it to my PC, I noticed there is 34mb of unallocated space on it. Can anyone explain the reason for this? Please see screen shot below. If I want to allocate this 34mb space and make the USB flash drive have one...
  6. USB flash drive

in Windows 10 Support
    USB flash drive: Hello, I just purchased a PNY USB flash drive. After connecting it to my PC, I noticed there is 34mb of unallocated space on it. Can anyone explain the reason for this? Please see screen shot below. If I want to allocate this 34mb space and make the USB flash drive have one...
  7. I think my windows/hard drive is corrupt

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I think my windows/hard drive is corrupt: There are many things wrong with my computer, notably I can cannot system reset my computer, configure my new ssd, and check properties for pretty much anything. I have windows 10....
  8. usb flash drive

usb flash drive: I am using windows 10. My usb flash drive does not show in disk manage but only intermittently. Often to make matters worse it freezes my mouse when I have the flash drive plugged in. Also it wont let my computer shut down when the flash drive is plugged in. So far I have...
  9. USB flash drive

USB flash drive: usually, when I insert a cd/dvd in my laptop, it usually asks how I want to use it, and gives 2 options: like a USB flash drive or with CD/DVD drive. I just need to see and read what's in it. which option is appropriate?...
  10. USB Flash drive please insert a disk

USB Flash drive please insert a disk: Usb flash drive please insert a disk, tried different computers. Updated drivers. Changed drive letter. Uninstalled driver and reinstalled. Checked for updates. Ran troubleshooter. Please help I have a document I really need.......

Users found this page by searching for:

1. WIN 10 UPDATE THINKS MY hhd IS FLASH DRIVE