Windows 10: Windows time keeps changing

Discus and support Windows time keeps changing in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have dual boot system with Linux and Win 10, and Linux time is correct, but the Windows is always 3 hours back. when I manually change it, it keeps... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mibaup, Dec 12, 2016.

1. mibaup Win User

Windows time keeps changing

I have dual boot system with Linux and Win 10, and Linux time is correct, but the Windows is always 3 hours back. when I manually change it, it keeps coming back 3 hours backwards after reset. The windows time service is running and set to automatically start, so that's not the problem. What may be the problem? BIOS?

:)

mibaup, Dec 12, 2016
  2. Sanwin2 Win User

Time keeps randomly changing (time zone settings are correct, not BIOS related)

I have been using this tool for years to solve this problem.

NetTime - Network Time Synchronization Tool

Works better than the built-in Windows facility.

Sanwin2, Dec 12, 2016
  3. BossDweeb Win User
    Time keeps randomly changing (time zone settings are correct, not BIOS related)

If you are using time.windows.com try another server. time.windows.com seems to be unstable for many users.

I believe different regions have different non windows options. I found that using
    time.nist.gov here in Oz is stable.

My time ran backwards on a couple of occasions when using time.windows.com.

BossDweeb, Dec 12, 2016
  4. spunk Win User

Make sure you are in the Right Time Zone for your area.
    Boot into Setup (Bios) Set the time here. If it looses time in the Bios then the CMOS battery must be changed.

spunk, Dec 12, 2016
  5. mibaup Win User
    I changed the Bios time there, and it does loses time, is it certainly a CMOS battery?
    Btw, that's a laptop, how hard is it to change a laptop CMOS battery? I have done it on a regular desktop mobo *Redface never on a laptop

mibaup, Dec 16, 2016
  6. For the record, I had the same problem, it can be very frustrating. *Confused

Try to disable changing time zone automatically. Run CMD as admin and copy/paste:

schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Time Zone\SynchronizeTimeZone" /Disable
    sc config tzautoupdate start= disabled
    net stop tzautoupdate /y

TairikuOkami, Dec 16, 2016
  7. Re changing cmos battery in laptop. Some laptops are a breeze and some require disassembly. Google your specific laptop with the words disassembly video. This should find a video for your reference.

In some laptops it is not the standard CR2032 battery. Rather it is a little pack that plugs in. Again google will help you determine.

Watch static this time of year. You may also need to buy some special small drivers to assist in the teardown.

Caledon Ken, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows time keeps changing - Similar Threads - keeps changing

2. How do I keep my Windows 11 taskbar settings from changing to default upon reboot?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I keep my Windows 11 taskbar settings from changing to default upon reboot?: I have changed the settings in the taskbar to align Left instead of align Center, which is the default. However, every reboot, it's back to the center and every time Windows 11 updates, it returns to the default. How do I stop it defaulting to the center every reboot?I'm an...
  3. How do I keep my Windows 11 taskbar settings from changing to default upon reboot?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I keep my Windows 11 taskbar settings from changing to default upon reboot?: I have changed the settings in the taskbar to align Left instead of align Center, which is the default. However, every reboot, it's back to the center and every time Windows 11 updates, it returns to the default. How do I stop it defaulting to the center every reboot?I'm an...
  4. Screen brightness keeps changing in Windows 11

in Windows 10 News
    Screen brightness keeps changing in Windows 11: [IMG]Sudden, unexpected changes in your screen brightness while trying to work or relax can be frustrating. Users with Windows 11 PCs have constantly reported the issue of screen brightness changing unexpectedly. In this article, we will see what you can do if the screen...
  5. Organization keeps asking me to change my pin even though I'm not in any organization.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Organization keeps asking me to change my pin even though I'm not in any organization.: The title says most of it, i checked my account settings and I see no organization signed in. every few weeks it asks me to change my PIN, and idk what to do. I saw someone say 3rd party apps can do that but how do I know which program is doing this?...
  6. Organization keeps asking me to change my pin even though I'm not in any organization.

Organization keeps asking me to change my pin even though I'm not in any organization.: The title says most of it, i checked my account settings and I see no organization signed in. every few weeks it asks me to change my PIN, and idk what to do. I saw someone say 3rd party apps can do that but how do I know which program is doing this?...
  7. My Windows account was changed w/o my permission, and the person who did it keeps changing...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Windows account was changed w/o my permission, and the person who did it keeps changing...: I am submitting another question because my last discussion didn't get me anywhere. The full story is that randomly my Windows account was hacked. The Microsoft account I use for Windows didn't exist anymore, probably because the hacker changed it to theirs, and a new...
  8. My Windows account was changed w/o my permission, and the person who did it keeps changing...

My Windows account was changed w/o my permission, and the person who did it keeps changing...: I am submitting another question because my last discussion didn't get me anywhere. The full story is that randomly my Windows account was hacked. The Microsoft account I use for Windows didn't exist anymore, probably because the hacker changed it to theirs, and a new...
  9. My Windows account was changed w/o my permission, and the person who did it keeps changing...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  10. Windows keeps restoring changes after restart.

Windows keeps restoring changes after restart.: Hi! I got a problem with my pc, and it started after windows update. I guess it went wrong and after that windows restores all changes i did after restart, even deleted files. I tried windows installer media and recovery, but it did not help, it just fails.Now I'm trying to...