Windows 10: Windows To Go on a USB 3.0 HDD not booting

Discus and support Windows To Go on a USB 3.0 HDD not booting in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've been trying to boot the Windows 10 Technical Preview (W2G) from a USB 3 attached hard drive with no success. My BIOS complies when I tell it to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Jhonyrod, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Jhonyrod Win User

Windows To Go on a USB 3.0 HDD not booting

I've been trying to boot the Windows 10 Technical Preview (W2G) from a USB 3 attached hard drive with no success.

My BIOS complies when I tell it to boot from the USB device, also, Windows starts to boot, and from the LED on my HDD I can tell that it is running at USB 3 speeds, but after a couple seconds the HDD just stops and the boot process is interrupted with the message "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE".

The weird thing here is that I can boot Ubuntu from the same device and port without any issue and the Windows installation boots fine on a USB 2 port, I haven't tried to use a USB 2 cable on the USB 3 port yet, since I don't have any available right now, but I suspect that it'll boot.

I've tried this on an ASUS netbook with no luck either, it does exactly the same, altough it may have something to do with the fact that it has UEFI and my current machine doesn't. Also, the disk is MBR partitioned and not GPT.

To me it sounds like a driver issue, thing is, when I boot into the installation in question via a USB 2 port, the driver for the USB 3 host controller is loaded and working fine (tested with USB 2 devices, since the only USB 3 device I have so far is this HDD). Maybe it is not being loaded on boot? if so, is there any way to make it do so?

Thank you in advance.

:)

Jhonyrod, Oct 7, 2014
  2. efi38 Win User

Slow loading of a drive by file expolorer.

I cloned my system drive to an external USB 3.0 HDD.

After cloning:

If the external HDD is connected before boot (not as the boot drive) there is no problem.

If it is connected after the boot the file explorer enters a very long loading (as seen by the green band).

A mouse click of the icon of the HDD during the load causes the system to enter "Non responding" state.

After the long loading, next connection of the external HDD while the system is running does not cause that long loading.

I stopped the "windows search" service and the indexing on that HDD, it didn't help.

efi38, Oct 7, 2014
  3. TrueRock2 Win User
    mediacreationtool.exe output to a Hard Disk Drives - Windows 10 installation

For the last 3 years I have only purchased USB 3.0 flash drives that present themselves as "Hard Disk Drives" to Windows 7 -
    not, "Devices with Removable Storage". I buy that type of flash drive because (as far as I know) USB 3.0 flash-drives that present themselves as HDDs are very much faster than USB 3.0 flash drives
    that present themselves to Windows 7 as "Devices with Removable Storage".

In preparation for upgrading to Windows 10 I have noticed that mediacreationtool.exe for Windows 8.1 cannot see and therefore cannot create a USB-boot-flash-drive with any of my newer USB flash drives that present themselves as HDD. I've resorted to scrounging
    up some old USB 2.0 flash drives to examine how mediacreationtool.exe creates bootable USB flash drives.

Has this flaw been corrected for the Windows 10 mediacreationtool.exe?

TrueRock2, Oct 7, 2014
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

To create a Windows to Go follow (especially on a "Non Certified" device ) follow these instructions EXACTLY -- the procedure is identical to that outlined in the Link even though it's for an earlier version of Windows.

Be VERY careful when creating the bootrec to use the commands as shown in the link.

Creating a Non-Certified Windows To Go USB Drive » ADMIN Magazine

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 7, 2014
  5. I created an authentic Windows 10 Windows To Go on my ASUS laptop running Windows 10 Enterprise TP. It booted fine from the USB 3.0 port on that laptop. Haven't tried it on another PC yet though. It's a 256 GB SSD in a USB 3.0 external drive enclosure. There is no way to connect a USB 2 cable to this enclosure.

alphanumeric, Oct 10, 2014
  6. hanleo Win User
    You need to create VHD-based Windows 10 To Go drive, because VHD-based Windows To Go has best compatibility when using non-certified drives to create Windows To Go workspace.

By far the easiest way to to create VHD-based Windows To Go is to use WinToUSB.

hanleo, Oct 2, 2015
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    on some USB3 connections you CAN use a USB2 cable - just connect the USB2 cable to the larger of the USB3 slots -- same with a SAMSUNG S5 phone- you can use either a full USB3 connector or a USB2 one

Works fine with those USB3 passport devices -- just leave the small connector (at the HDD end) empty -- plug the USB2 connector into the larger slot.

Your HDD though will only work at USB 2 speed then. Fine when on computers with no USB 3 ports (older laptops etc).

(The USB2 cable needs to be one with the MICRO not the MINI connector --the sort for example a Kindle uses when connected to the computer).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows To Go on a USB 3.0 HDD not booting - Similar Threads - USB HDD booting

2. How to boot Ubuntu from USB in surface go 3

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to boot Ubuntu from USB in surface go 3: Hi, I'm trying to boot Ubuntu from usb in my surface go 3, but nothing seems to work. I have a pendrive with Ubuntu, tested successfully in another PC with windows 11, but in my surface nothing happens.Is it even possible to boot another OS in surface go 3?I need to boot...
  3. How to boot Ubuntu from USB in surface go 3

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to boot Ubuntu from USB in surface go 3: Hi, I'm trying to boot Ubuntu from usb in my surface go 3, but nothing seems to work. I have a pendrive with Ubuntu, tested successfully in another PC with windows 11, but in my surface nothing happens.Is it even possible to boot another OS in surface go 3?I need to boot...
  4. Booting from USB SATA HDD?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Booting from USB SATA HDD?: I just found my old HDD with Windows 7. I just plugged it into my current W10 PC (via USB-SATA adapter), i used EasyBCD and selected the drive letter of my W7HDD (G:) and added that as boot entry But when restarting, selecting the W7 entry, it shows me black screen, and no...
  5. windows hdd wont boot from usb

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    windows hdd wont boot from usb: Removed a windows 10 hdd and installed a new ssd. When trying to boot old hdd from usb,, I keep getting a boot failure loop. I think i need to make a change to the boot partition on old windows hdd but not really sure....can anyone point me in the right direction?thankskev...
  6. Boot hangs with usb HDD connected

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot hangs with usb HDD connected: I have a toshiba 3Tb usb hdd for backup. Like the title says the boot hangs if it's attached. I just changed machine and reinstalled windows, and it still happens. It hangs just after the blue Windows appear. It is marked INactive. The boot order in the bios is SSD...
  7. USB external HDD keeps going to sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB external HDD keeps going to sleep: I have a ThinkPad X1 6 gen for specs Currently I have a USB external HDD that keeps going to sleep. When I go to power options, there is no options for usb power however looking online I see that there should be. I've tried running some CMD commands I found online to restore...
  8. USB 3 hub interferes with boot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB 3 hub interferes with boot: With powered USB 3 hub plugged into power, Win 10 does not boot at all. Unplug power to USB hub (usb connections still there), boot is normal. Plug in power to USB hub after boot starts is fine. What is this? Thanks. Peter 134831
  9. External USB HDD going to sleep mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    External USB HDD going to sleep mode: I don't understand why Microsoft refuses to address this problem in Windows 10. It's an old problem and all the answers from Microsoft are vague and send us around things that people have already tried and it does not solve the problem. Just look at the blogs of the...
  10. Black Screen on boot (HDD and USB boot)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black Screen on boot (HDD and USB boot): I'm trying to repair Packard Bell laptop with Windows 10 which is not mine (No clue what happened before this problem occurred). So, on boot, the Packard Bell logo and the loading spinner show and then it goes to "Preparing automatic repair" which lasts for 5-10 seconds and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows to go usb 3.0

2. VHD based W2G

3. windows to go on hdd