Windows 10: Windows to go on USB3 SSD faster than Native local HDD

Discus and support Windows to go on USB3 SSD faster than Native local HDD in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi there I copied my W10 system to an eternal SSD attached via USB3 with Wintousb. Booting it from USB3 device Windows is much faster / snappier than... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by jimbo45, Aug 12, 2018.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Windows to go on USB3 SSD faster than Native local HDD

Hi there

I copied my W10 system to an eternal SSD attached via USB3 with Wintousb.

Booting it from USB3 device Windows is much faster / snappier than from the internal standard HDD.

Since I have a few spare SSD's I was wondering what's the disadvantage of permanently attching this USB3 device (have enough USB3 ports) and then using the built in HDD (3TB) as data storage. I think Windows to Go updates normally and system is shown as activated with digital license.

Ok wouldn't be as fast as direct e-sata or even sata connection but the improvement is easily noticeable. I've an image backup of the original system if the SSD fails.

Any thoughts -- saves breaking open the Miniserver cube and replacing one HDD with an SSD -- there was a place where I could insert a native sata connector and an SSD (there's a DVD slot) but I rescued this machine from the I.T guys at my office for Zilch - because the extra SATA connector on the Mobo was broken (not reparable - stripped off the Mobo). Rest of the server functions OK -- I.T was upgrading also in any case.

(Gen 10 HPE microserver , 32 GB RAM with AMD quad processor for 0 USD !!).

Put 4 HDD's in it and works fine - but I think the external SSD method seems OK. Probably not the use a Windows to Go system was intended for by Ms - but I'm a bonkers engineer so I like meddling around.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Aug 12, 2018
  2. DaveM121 Win User

SSD VS HDD

Storage wise an SSD is absolutely no different to a HDD - 500GB SSD = 500GB HDD.

The difference between an SSD and an HDD is mainly Read/Write speed - How fast Windows, Applications and Files load

An SSD is much faster than an HDD

Also SSD's do not need defragmenting as they employ a totally different method of storing files and deleting files.

I Hope this Answers your Question!

DaveM121, Aug 12, 2018
  3. USB3 HDD unreadable after Anniversary update

Last night another of my computers upgraded itself to AU and surprise, surprise, the USB3 HDD plugged into my router became unreadable (listed as RAW but it works perfectly in a local USB2 port and over the network with non-updated machines).

This is the third machine now which has upgraded with this result.

Come on Microsoft - this is a major bug and you have got to fix it

Francisnorton, Aug 12, 2018
  4. Animalpak Win User

advises ssd or keep hdd??

with SSD you get faster windows startup, faster gaming levels loading...

I suggest go with SSD !!

SSD are not so reliable for storage but for OS they are perfect.

Animalpak, Aug 12, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows to go on USB3 SSD faster than Native local HDD - Similar Threads - USB3 SSD faster

2. Window 7 is faster than Window 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Window 7 is faster than Window 10: Hi ,I have three pc of all 4 GB RAM two with window 7 and one with ten .Both pc of window 7 have too many heavy software still they both are very fast.But pc with window 10 is quite slow and also sometime hang also it has no heavy software....
  3. Convert local drive to Windows to go on an external HDD?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Convert local drive to Windows to go on an external HDD?: So I have an SSD with Windows 10 on it, I'd like to convert it to "Windows to go" on an external hard drive, How can I convert it without losing my data? submitted by /u/Abbix57 [link] [comments]...
  4. Same native EXE runs much faster as admin

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Same native EXE runs much faster as admin: I have a native C++11 console application that reads a binary file and stores results in standard library containers. I have a timer around the portion that opens, reads, and loads these structures. The same build runs 66% faster when I run it as admin than when run...
  5. Going from hdd to ssd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Going from hdd to ssd: Hello guys I want to install ssd and put the Windows on it while my hdd has tow partitions c partition which includes the windows and f has all my games and stuff so i want to use ssd as the system partition and remove the c while keeping the f so the question here is what is...
  6. Windows 7 is faster than Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 7 is faster than Windows 10: Hello Please guide me. Some users say Windows 7 is faster than Windows 10. What do you think? Thankful poneh_co https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-7-is-faster-than-windows-10/8bc63f96-38ea-4cc6-a929-6f9c2348d50d
  7. SSD's use more battery power than HDD?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SSD's use more battery power than HDD?: Tom's Hardware article: The SSD Power Consumption Hoax What got me considering this was actually not about runtime duration performance, but battery drain during cold shutdown.. One HP notebook I have (Envy M6) is getting a bit old and I was noticing that when completely...
  8. Samsung SSD On Sata to USB3 Adapter Cable Shows As SCSI Not USB3

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Samsung SSD On Sata to USB3 Adapter Cable Shows As SCSI Not USB3: My external Sata Samsung SSD (on a Sata to USB3 adapter cable plugged into a USB3 motherboard external port) shows as a SCSI drive and not as a USB3 drive in Device Manager on my computer. It should show as a USB3 device As a result, the transfer speeds which should operate...
  9. USB3 HDD slower than ext laptop HDD USB2==>SATA cable

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB3 HDD slower than ext laptop HDD USB2==>SATA cable: Hi there WD passport (small self powered 2 TB USB3 drive) has appalling performance compared with an OLD laptop HDD that I connect via a USB2==>SATA cable to USB2 port. Same file (2GB mp4 video) copied to a directory on the SSD. External laptop HDD connected via...
  10. USB3 HDD slower in USB3 socket than powered USB2 socket

in Windows 10 Support
    USB3 HDD slower in USB3 socket than powered USB2 socket: Hi there crazy --I have a laptop with 1 USB3 socket and 2 USB2 sockets. The USB3 socket is also a "charging" usb socket. Now if I plug a USB3 HDD (Toshiba) into a USB2 socket where I've connected a powered USB2 hub I'm getting copy speeds of around 76 mb/s. The same HDD...