Windows 10: Windows update 1803 formats secondary 4TB HDD from GPT to MBR

Discus and support Windows update 1803 formats secondary 4TB HDD from GPT to MBR in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; New to the group and boy do I have a good one! The other day when I booted up my desktop PC, I noticed a majority of my desktop icons had lost there... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by CousinEerie, May 24, 2018.

1. Windows update 1803 formats secondary 4TB HDD from GPT to MBR

New to the group and boy do I have a good one! The other day when I booted up my desktop PC, I noticed a majority of my desktop icons had lost there images alerting me that something had went direly wrong. I opened My PC to inspect my HDD contents and I was shocked by what I discovered. My large 4TB WD HDD had been wiped, changed from GPT to MBR and re-partitioned with no file system or drive letter assigned!!!! Wondering WTF, I checked Windows Update and had noticed that the 1803 update had installed (it actually looked like it took 3 attempts before it totally took). I also noticed that my 250 GB primary drive now had a 450MB D drive that was now a boot partition which wasn't there before.
    Upset and cursing at losing all of my software installations, I decided to change the drive back to GPT figuring that the wonderful update had a glitch which somehow performed this heinous act. After firing up Disk Management, I could see the drive which was formatted now as MBR, but the odd thing here was that the partition (now only 2TB) was marked as GPT Protected Partition. When I tried right-clicking to remove the partition and then convert the drive back to GPT. Disk Management would give me no options to do anything. Very odd!!!
    Not discouraged, I fired up Power Shell with admin privileges and launched DIskPart. This failed as well. So I booted to recovery mode from my installation media and tried DiskPart there as I thought maybe the OS was blocking me somehow and that booting into this safe environment might do the trick...wrong answer. Still no luck. I could remove the partition by issuing the CLEAN command at the selected disk level, but the HDD would not initialize as GPT.
    Refusing to let a cold machine beat me, I removed the offending drive from the SATA port and attached it to my external drive adapter. Once attached and recognized by Windows, I opened up Disk Management. Now I had the ability to do everything again, so I removed all the partitions, converted from MBR to GPT and initialized the disk for the full capacity. I then removed the drive, installed it back into the desktop and fired up Windows. Looking at My PC, I could see my 250 GB C drive which houses WIndows and the Boot partition, as well as the 4TB drive which was again assigned to drive D (I had unassigned the drive letter from the boot partition). I thought all was right with the world and proceeded to get ready for hours of software installation....but then, to my horror, the disk activity went to 100% and Windows 10 itself, replaced GPT with MBR and re-partitioned the HDD locking any access in disk management to perform any corrective actions!!!!
    I am truly disgusted with this update release. I certainly am glad that I had no critical applications or files on that drive. With that being said...has anyone experienced this? I have seen many issues about this release, but have been unable to find another situation quite like mine. My motherboard is an Asus P6X58D-E which does not support UEFI and why I used the 4TB HDD as my secondary initialized as GPT with NTFS file system and my primary being a 250GB HDD initialized as MBR. This set up has worked for months under the 1709 and earlier releases. So, I am wondering if this is can or will be fixed or if I am SOL here. Any help would be appreciated and any curse you could bestow upon the OS developers at Microsoft would also be looked upon with great favor. Thank you in advance from a noob to the forum

:)

CousinEerie, May 24, 2018

2. Windows 10 installation on 4tb hdd on GPT partition with UEFI mode system.

Original Title: windows 10 installation on 4tb hdd

Hello,

I have a new Seagate 4tb hdd and gigabyte H110M motherboard (UEFI) in a desktop computer. When I install windows 10 x64 it only shows up as 2tb. I have converted the hdd to gpt partitioning (as apparently this is what I need to do to show whole hdd) but
    when I install win 10 it converts it back to mbr and still only shows it as 2tb. What do I need to do so windows installs in gpt format?

Thanks

Troy

TroySullivan, May 25, 2018
  3. About MBR and GPT

If I want to install Windows 10, I want to know about format my thumb drive to MBR or GPT, but my laptop is Acer Aspire E5-571G with UEFI system and HDD are GPT partition style, so I need to format my thumb drive to GPT for copying windows installation
    and install it to HDD with GPT? (Note: I have Rufus for create a bootable USB drive)

BillyRazOr, May 25, 2018
Thema:

Windows update 1803 formats secondary 4TB HDD from GPT to MBR

1. Windows update 1803 formats secondary 4TB HDD from GPT to MBR - Similar Threads - update 1803 formats

2. Converting SSD file format from "GPT" to "MBR"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Converting SSD file format from "GPT" to "MBR": Hello y'all i just wanted to ask if there is any kind of way to convert your ssd format from "GPT" to "MBR" safely without losing any data? i would appreciate anybody who can answer me....
  3. Converting SSD file format from "GPT" to "MBR"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Converting SSD file format from "GPT" to "MBR": Hello y'all i just wanted to ask if there is any kind of way to convert your ssd format from "GPT" to "MBR" safely without losing any data? i would appreciate anybody who can answer me....
  4. Ugrading my 1TB MBR HDD to a 4TB GPT SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Ugrading my 1TB MBR HDD to a 4TB GPT SSD: Hi I need help. I spent an entire day trying to figure this out only to fail so I need help. I want to upgrade my 1TB MBR HDD to a 4TB GPT SSD. What I have: Partitions in order 1TB MBR HDD: System Reserved 500MB, (C:) 930GB, Recovery Partition 482MB 4TB GPT SSD: Unformatted...
  5. Help with formatting 4tb hdd?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help with formatting 4tb hdd?: I recently built my first PC, and have been having some issues formatting the hard drive properly. Windows 10 is installed on a separate 500gb ssd, so it is empty, except for a partition called "System Reserved" which takes up ~600mb and is preventing me from converting from...
  6. 2TB HDD format to MBR or GPT??

2TB HDD format to MBR or GPT??: I just got a new 2TB HHD and i want to know which partition style i need to use MBR or GPT? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/2tb-hdd-format-to-mbr-or-gpt/672f2d14-e381-4682-9f1b-9b89f016c52f
  7. MBR or GPT Format

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    MBR or GPT Format: Greetings, Which is the recommended format to use on my new hdd? GPT or MBR? As GPT always have extra partitions when install Windows 10. I don't really like to have these partitions on my hdd. If I use MBR format, will my other hdds (2 X 4TB) in GPT be available to use?...
  8. MBR or GPT Format

in Windows 10 Support
    MBR or GPT Format: Greetings, Which is the recommended format to use on my new hdd? GPT or MBR? As GPT always have extra partitions when install Windows 10. I don't really like to have these partitions on my hdd. If I use MBR format, will my other hdds (2 X 4TB) in GPT be available to use?...
  9. SSD is in GPT, HDD is in MBR format. Is that OK?

SSD is in GPT, HDD is in MBR format. Is that OK?: Hello, Recently I've purchased a Kingston 240GB SSD. I initialized the SSD in GPT, and installed Windows 10. But, when I looked my 2TB HDD partitions, they are in MBR format. Will there have any stability issues when the SSD is in GPT and HDD in MBR? Do I need to change my...
  10. Format mbr external drive to gpt

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Format mbr external drive to gpt: I was recently instructed how to format a GPT external drive to MBR.It was 4 terabytes and now is only 2 terabytes.I understand why because it was explained on this site.What I would like to know is can I format it back to MBR so I can get the 4 terabytes back.Hope I...