Windows 10: Windows update broke HP printer & driver reinstall not working

Discus and support Windows update broke HP printer & driver reinstall not working in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My printer is a HP 2055dn. Since Windows 10 came out, at every major Windows update, I have had to uninstall the printer and reinstall it. After the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by john999, Jan 9, 2018.

1. john999 Win User

Windows update broke HP printer & driver reinstall not working

My printer is a HP 2055dn. Since Windows 10 came out, at every major Windows update, I have had to uninstall the printer and reinstall it. After the latest update, the usual reinstall did not work, and I now can't print. What I have done successfully previously and tried to do unsuccessfully after the recent update is to follow the following steps, found through a Google search:

Unplug the USB cable from the printer if present or turn off your printer.
    Go to Control panel/Programs and feature, select all the HP LaserJet printer entries and uninstall them.
    Now go to Control Panel/Devices and printer, select all the printer entries and remove the device.
    Restart your computer.
    Click the bottom-left "Start" button on desktop, type "device manager" in the search box and tap "Device Manager" on the menu.
    Once in "Device manager", click on the "View" tab in the top & choose “Show hidden devices”.
    Then from the "Device manager" list, check the entries under “Printer” – If there are any entries, please right click and choose “uninstall” – In the confirm device uninstall popup, make sure you select the box which says “Delete the driver software for this device".
    Also, check the entries under "Printer queue" and "Imaging devices" and repeat the same exercise. Delete any printer entry or any entry which says “Unknown device”.
    Once done, close device-manger. Then press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" and press enter.
    Under print server properties, go to “Drivers” and remove any entry there as well.
    Now restart your computer again.
    Run “upd-pcl-x64-6.5.0.22695.exe” [That's the latest version, which I tried after the 6.0 version that always had worked before didn't work.] and select “USB mode plug and play”
    Connect the USB cable if prompted.
    Then turn on printer and wait some minutes to windows know your printer.
    Go “Devices and Printers”, if you only see “HP Laserjet P2055d UPD PCL6” is finish.

Here's what happens currently:

1. After following the steps above, no printer shows up in Devices & Printers until I turn the printer off and turn it back on again. After prior updates, there was no need to turn the printer off and turn it back on. After turning the printer on for the second time, Windows finds the HP 2055dn, but the status shown is Device is Unavailable.

2. When I go into an application and choose Print, the printer shown is "System Default Printer". The only other choice is "HP Universal Printing PCL 6".

3. When I select either printer and try to print, nothing happens except that I get a popup titled HP Universal Printing PCL 6 asking me to "Select the HP printer you want to use". Unfortunately, there are no printers to select. In a box on the left, the first choice is "Recently Used Printers". When I click on it, nothing happens. Nothing appears in the box on the right. The other choice is "Find a Printer", with three options that don't apply to my stand alone, non-networked PC: "Enter a printer address", "Search for Network Printers", and "Search for Print Shares". It is impossible to close this popup without rebooting the computer.

4. Thus at the moment, I can't print.

:)

john999, Jan 9, 2018

2. scanner error: the device either is turned off or the USB cable is not connected. (HP Desktop)

Original title: Scanners Not Working on Windows 10 on an HP Desktop

My wife's HP tower was set for auto updates, and Windows 10 installed itself. Since then, her Canon Pixma MG2520 scanner does not work. The printer works fine, but the scanner gives the error message that the unit is turned off or the USB cable is not
    connected. Obviously, the cable is connected for the printer to work. Tried reinstalling the drivers & restarting. No success. Scanner ran fine under Windows 7.

I plugged the printer into my Dell tower, also running Windows 10. The Dell recognized the device, installed the drivers, and the scanner & printer both work.

I tried an HP PSC1311 all-in-one on my wife's machine. Same problem. Printer works fine, but scanner error message says that the device either is turned off or the USB cable is not connected.

What's going on? The Canon & HP both print & scan when connected to my Dell tower running Windows 10, but not to my wife's HP tower running Windows 10. If MS deemed the machine not to be appropriate for a Windows 10 upgrade, Windows 10 would not have been
    installed. Both Canon & HP have drivers available for download which are Windows 10-compatible.

KennethBush, Jan 9, 2018
  3. Darjo9498 Win User
    The operation system cannot run %1”

Hi Jaune,

I reset the pc, reinstall fresh windows 10. HP printer driver is latest from HP website.

Different user profile not working too. Removed KB4041676, and the printer is working again. Currently I paused the windows updates.

Darjo9498, Jan 9, 2018
  4. Windows update broke HP printer & driver reinstall not working

Hi john999.

What you did is pretty much what I would have recommended. Not sure I would have gone after Printer Server.

Have you tried the Trouble Shooter for Print? Start > Settings > Update and Security > Troubleshoot > Printer

I would also go into devices and assuming you see your printer force it to be default (remove check mark that lets Windows manage, find printer and set)

The next thing I would suggest in an inplace repair / upgrade.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jan 9, 2018
  5. john999 Win User
    I found a thread on a HP forum that advised that drivers newer than 6.0 won't work on the 2055dn, contrary to the advice on the HP website. Then I tried again using the 6.0 driver, upd-pcl-x64-6.0.0.18849.exe, and this time it worked, as it has after previous Windows 10 updates. Thus, the 2055dn survived another Windows 10 update, no thanks to HP.

john999, Jan 9, 2018
  6. Thanks for posting solution.

Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows update broke HP printer & driver reinstall not working

1. Windows update broke HP printer & driver reinstall not working - Similar Threads - update broke printer

2. Windows Update broke my printers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows Update broke my printers: On October 12, I shut down my computer. Microsoft updates installed. After the updates were done, none of my printers work. This affects physical printers as well as PDF printers. I have re-installed drivers. But whenever I try to print, I get a message that says "Your file...
  3. Hp Printer Drivers- Windows 10 Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hp Printer Drivers- Windows 10 Update: Tried to print photos for the first time in over a month. It failed. Device manager indicates no drivers for the hp printer which I can only assume is due to a windows 10 update as I have two machines and both provide the same information. Tried removing all hp software and...
  4. Windows Patch broke printer driver invalid printer driver

Windows Patch broke printer driver invalid printer driver: Hi, recent Windows 10 Patching has broken my printer driver. I have tried to remove and reinstall to no avail. I keep getting message invalid printer driver when going to print from edge etc. My printer is an Epson WF-2630 Windows 10 Pro Version 1909 OS Build...
  5. KB4550945 update broke Audio and Printer drivers!

KB4550945 update broke Audio and Printer drivers!: Hi, I am facing a problem immediately after installing KB4550945 update that Windows 10 no longer recognize my Audio driver on my ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-H GAMING motherboard and my Brother MFC-J5910DW printer. Uninstalling/installing the drivers does not help. Message for...
  6. KB4550945 update broke Audio and Printer drivers!

KB4550945 update broke Audio and Printer drivers!: I am facing a problem immediately after installing KB4550945 update that Windows 10 no longer recognize my Audio driver on my ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-H GAMING motherboard and my Brother MFC-J5910DW printer. Uninstalling/installing the drivers does not help. Message for Device...
  7. Reinstalling printer driver for HP 1136 MFP

Reinstalling printer driver for HP 1136 MFP: I recently bought a Dell laptop in April 2019 and since then i'm been deluged with problems with windows. First the network adaptor kept switching off at its convenience. Now since today I was unable to access our printer on our group, so decided to delete and reinstall. It...
  8. HP Envy Photo 7855 misprints after OS update and reinstalling printer and drivers doesn't work

HP Envy Photo 7855 misprints after OS update and reinstalling printer and drivers doesn't work: Hello! I hope you can help me. My HP Envy Photo 7855 has worked well with my HP computer and MS Windows 10 for quite some time. Suddenly, yesterday, the printer stopped working, freezing up on each print job for some minutes before only printing 1/3 of a page. HP worked with...
  9. Hp printer driver

Hp printer driver: Why is it that before I updated windows 10 (and paid for the renewal) my printer is no longer able to print? HP Officejet 4580 all in one, anyone have this same problem and if so how did you get it fixed. BTW I prefer not to buy a new printer and am not happy with being...
  10. Windows Anniversary Update broke HP printer

Windows Anniversary Update broke HP printer: I have an HP Office Jet Pro 8625 that worked fine until the windows 10 Anniversary update. It is connected via Ethernet. I can print to the printer fine from iphones, etc. so printer is ok. Windows keeps thinking the printer has gone offline. When I run the troubleshooter,...