Windows 10: Windows Update button in "Install the printer driver" dialog box does not work

Discus and support Windows Update button in "Install the printer driver" dialog box does not work in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; This has been posted elsewhere, but the problem only started happening to me in May 2018. Before then I was able to use this workaround to get... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by notprinting, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Windows Update button in "Install the printer driver" dialog box does not work

This has been posted elsewhere, but the problem only started happening to me in May 2018. Before then I was able to use this workaround to get Windows10 to successfully install my HP LaserJet 1012..

Now......I've got a printer that still works and I can't use it. Anyone know how to get past this Windows Update issue in July 2018???

:)

notprinting, Jul 24, 2018
  2. clintf Win User

Creators Update 1709 breaks printer driver install Windows Update button functionality..

Just so folks know they aren't alone, here is the bug I submitted to the Feedback Hub:

Repro steps...

Go to Devices and Printers --> Select "Add a printer"

--> select "The printer that I want isn't listed"

--> Choose "Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings". Hit Next.

--> In the "Choose a printer port" dialog, choose "Use an existing port" (any available port will do). Hit Next.

--> In the "Install the printer driver" dialog, press "Windows Update"

THE PROBLEM:

Instead of returning with an updated list of printer drivers from Microsoft, the error "Windows was unable to get a list of devices from Windows Update. Please try again later".

This problem is 100% caused by the 1709 Creators Update. On all of our machines with 1709 installed, we get this error message. On machines without 1709 installed, we get the updated list of drivers.

On one machine where the printer driver windows update button was working (before 1709), we installed 1709. The very first thing we did after that was check the button, and we got the error.

Microsoft and others:

Are you able to reproduce this problem?

Are there any easy methods of getting this functionality working again?

clintf, Jul 24, 2018
  3. Lenny-ol Win User
    Windows update for windows 10 fails from inside the install the printer driver dialog

Fails every time selected. I need to install the HP LaserJet 6L driver (not post script class) and its not listed. Message board suggested solution is to run windows update from within the "Install the printer driver" dialog box. This fails every time.
    Was hoping to download the .inf file but cannot find it on the HP site. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Lenny-ol, Jul 24, 2018
  4. Windows Update button in "Install the printer driver" dialog box does not work

No printer dialog box

Hello,

Try reinstalling the Printer.

Right-click Start and select Run.

In the Run dialog box, type in control printers and press OK.

Locate your printer in the Printers section, Right click it and select Remove device.

Restart your PC.

If you have a setup media of the Printer driver(This is usually a CD or Setup program supplied with the Printer), run the utility and let the Printer Install.

If you do not have a setup media, try adding a printer manually using "add a printer" button in the menu bar. It should automatically detect and Install the Printer.

After the Printer Installs, try printing a test page to see if it works as desired.

Retry the task again.

Sumit Dhiman2, Jul 24, 2018
Thema:

Windows Update button in "Install the printer driver" dialog box does not work

1. Windows Update button in "Install the printer driver" dialog box does not work - Similar Threads - Update button Install

2. Printer Dialog Box Blank

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Printer Dialog Box Blank: I am having a problem with the printer dialog box opening and it is blank, in Edge. I have tried troubleshooting. Here's what I know:It's not the printerIt is only a problem in Edge, not other browsersI set up a second user on my computer and am able to print from Edge from...
  3. Printer Dialog Box Blank

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Printer Dialog Box Blank: I am having a problem with the printer dialog box opening and it is blank, in Edge. I have tried troubleshooting. Here's what I know:It's not the printerIt is only a problem in Edge, not other browsersI set up a second user on my computer and am able to print from Edge from...
  4. Printer Dialog Box Blank

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. printer dialog box problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    printer dialog box problem: Since the installation of Windows 11 it is no more possible to print with the printer dialog box function and this on the 2 printers which are connected to my PC. I get a message "Printing impossible . check your printer and try again"I have re-installed the 2 printers with...
  6. printer dialog box problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    printer dialog box problem: Since the installation of Windows 11 it is no more possible to print with the printer dialog box function and this on the 2 printers which are connected to my PC. I get a message "Printing impossible . check your printer and try again"I have re-installed the 2 printers with...
  7. Printer dialog box missing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Printer dialog box missing: Hi. My hard drive recently failed so I had to install a new hard drive as well as a new version of Windows. I'm running a Brother printer and I can print something using just the normal Windows printer options window that looks like this:but when I want some more options,...
  8. Snap Pointer to default button in dialog box not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Snap Pointer to default button in dialog box not working: In recent months, maybe since the last update my cursor does not automatically go to the default button in a dialog box. It may not have anything to do with an update. I have checked and unchecked the box in settings for this but still not working. Is it just me? Any help...
  9. No "yes" button in UAC dialog box

in Windows 10 Customization
    No "yes" button in UAC dialog box: Why does user acct. dialog box not have a "yes" choice any more? I've not mad any changes to my computer other than regular updates. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-yes-button-in-uac-dialog-box/ef7fd81b-23cb-4d6b-94da-bebe1a79e54c
  10. Snap Pointer to default button in dialog box not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Snap Pointer to default button in dialog box not working: Hi Gang: I Believe since the last update my cursor does not automatically go to the default button in a dialog box. It may not have anything to do with an update. I have checked and unchecked the box in settings for this but still not working. Is it just me? Any help...