Windows 10: Windows Update Clean-up files 3.99TB

Discus and support Windows Update Clean-up files 3.99TB in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Windows 10 just installed the latest update. It did take a little longer than usual to restart. I went to do a clean-up and backup before shutting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by thecaretaker, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Windows Update Clean-up files 3.99TB

Windows 10 just installed the latest update. It did take a little longer than usual to restart.

I went to do a clean-up and backup before shutting down for the night and it claims I have 3.99TB of old Windows Update files. The fact I only have a 500gb SSD drive, I find that impossible. Anyway, I did the clean-up which took almost 15 minutes to complete.

Windows Update Clean-up files 3.99TB [​IMG]

So where did Windows manage to put the 3.99TB files? Where are my Windows backup files stored so I can take a look to see what is in the folder?

:)

thecaretaker, Oct 11, 2016
  2. MarcoLR Win User

3.99TB of Windows Update files to be cleaned, as indicated in Disk Cleanup

Hello,

I just ran Disk Cleanup and it says I have 3.99TB of Windows Update files to be cleaned, which of course cannot be possible since Windows is on a SSD of 256GB.

I also ran sfc /scannow on my C:\ drive to be extra safe and all is is good.

My question is: Should i proceed to delete those '3.99TB' of Windows Update files?

Thanks,

Marco

MarcoLR, Oct 11, 2016
  3. Disk Cleanup

I have this exact same issue on my S3 with a 128GB drive running W10, fully updated, with 3.99TB showing against 'Windows Update Clean-up'. First time I've ever seen this as of today.

Sirbackwards, Oct 11, 2016
  4. Bree New Member

Windows Update Clean-up files 3.99TB

The folder is WinSxS and the apparently impossible size (unless you actually do have a >4TB HDD) is due to hard links.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-GB/.../dn251566.aspx

Apparently Disk Clean-up is another of those tools that doesn't check for hard links when calculating sizes. It is safe to continue and let Disk Clean-up delete these files because the actual physical copy of the file only gets deleted when the last of its hard links is deleted.

PS: don't forget to restart your PC. Disk Clean-up really means it when it says "(you might need to restart your computer.)" for the Windows Update Clean-up. It won't prompt you for a restart, but you will more than likely see the blue 'Windows is configuring uppdates' screens and followed by a lengthy 'Cleaning up...' screen when you shut down, Only then is the clean up complete.

5. It is okay, just run drive clean up and check system with sfc /scannow run command after. This clean yields back about 1.xx gb.

lopedoggie, Oct 11, 2016
  6. Many thanks for the really detailed explanation. I will ensure I restart directly after the cleanup. I've noticed in the past that Win10 shows the 'Windows is configuring uppdates' after a restart and disk cleanup. I always assumed this was a glitch of Win10. I had manually pressed the on/off button in the past to bypass it. I will leave it to 'do its thing' in future.

Thanks again both of you.

thecaretaker, Oct 11, 2016
  7. Bree New Member
    I assume that, as with an update, some files are in use and can only be removed when no longer open - ie. during a restart.

8. EdTittel Win User

Thanks, Bree for the explanation and resource. It provided the inspiration for my blog post today. You rock!
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 11, 2016
  9. Out of curiosity I have just checked mine... 1.3GB *Smile must be lucky Lol

Windows Update Clean-up files 3.99TB [​IMG]

stuarttunstall, Oct 11, 2016
  10. Reducto Win User
    I am having the same issue (3.99 TB to delete) guys with such a tiny HP laptop 29gb memory hard drive. After an hour is still ''Cleaning up''. Any ideas how to complete the process? Many Thanks in advance

Reducto, Jan 13, 2017
  11. Reducto Win User
    I am having the same issue (3.99 TB to delete) guys with such a tiny HP laptop 29gb memory hard drive. After an hour is still ''Cleaning up''. Any ideas how to complete the process? Many Thanks in advance

Reducto, Jan 13, 2017
  12. clam1952 Win User
    3.9TB on one PC, Zero on the one I have set on metered connection, which I did update by checking for updates and downloading now and installing.

clam1952, Jan 13, 2017
  13. Bree New Member

Welcome to TenForums @Reducto

It will complete (eventually), just leave it to run its course. If you can't wait, you could cancel the cleanup (though in my experience it takes nearly as long to cancel as it does to complete). For future reference, you can use @Cliff S's faster way to clean up just the Windows Update. See:
    Cumulative Update KB3194798 for Windows 10 PC & Mobile build 14393.321

14. evildog1 Win User
    I have seen a lot of peoples posted an image about this on r/softwaregore

evildog1, Jan 15, 2017
  15. TairikuOkami, Jan 15, 2017
Thema:

1. Windows Update Clean-up files 3.99TB - Similar Threads - Update Clean files

2. Disk Cleanup not cleaning Windows Update Clean-up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Cleanup not cleaning Windows Update Clean-up: For a bit, I have been trying to get rid of Windows Update Clean-up in Disk Cleanup, but it is not working. I have tried searching but every answer I find either does not relate to my situation/does not work. It has gotten so bad that it has accumulated to 8.30GB.I would...
  3. Disk Cleanup not cleaning Windows Update Clean-up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disk Cleanup not cleaning Windows Update Clean-up: For a bit, I have been trying to get rid of Windows Update Clean-up in Disk Cleanup, but it is not working. I have tried searching but every answer I find either does not relate to my situation/does not work. It has gotten so bad that it has accumulated to 8.30GB.I would...
  4. windows update not cleaning up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows update not cleaning up: I have tried so many optionsthey are: 1] Delete contents of SoftwareDistribution folder manually2] Delete contents of Windows.old folder manually3] Run Disk Cleanup in Clean Boot State or Safe Mode4] Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter5] Run DISM to fix Component Store...
  5. windows update not cleaning up

windows update not cleaning up: I have tried so many optionsthey are: 1] Delete contents of SoftwareDistribution folder manually2] Delete contents of Windows.old folder manually3] Run Disk Cleanup in Clean Boot State or Safe Mode4] Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter5] Run DISM to fix Component Store...
  6. Windows Update Clean-Up will not Delete Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Update Clean-Up will not Delete Files: Hi All I have a problem where I am unable to delete 4.19Gb and growing after to running the Windows 10 Disk Clean Up function.It runs and identifies the files to delete but when i click OK it goes through the motions, but once I check if the files have been deleted they are...
  7. Windows Update Clean-Up will not Delete Files

Windows Update Clean-Up will not Delete Files: Hi All I have a problem where I am unable to delete 4.19Gb and growing after to running the Windows 10 Disk Clean Up function.It runs and identifies the files to delete but when i click OK it goes through the motions, but once I check if the files have been deleted they are...
  8. Windows Update Clean-Up will not Delete Files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Clean up my files

Clean up my files: I am on Windows 10. After having reinitiated my computer, I used my Backup made with Windows 7 last month to reinstall my files. When I was asked to whether replace or keep the old file, I unfortunately answered keep the old file. I now have 25,000 photos in files in...
  10. Windows 10 update stuck at stage 2 of 3, cleaning up 0%

Windows 10 update stuck at stage 2 of 3, cleaning up 0%: chose to update and restart, now stuck at stage 2 of 3, cleaning up, at 0%. Been at this point for about 45 minutes. Should I soft boot? Anyone else have issues?...