Windows 10: Windows Update Cleanup taking ages

Discus and support Windows Update Cleanup taking ages in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I clicked the button to include Windows Update Cleanup to recover a few Gb of HD space. It's been going for about 4hrs so far with seemingly little... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Doc943, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Doc943 Win User

Windows Update Cleanup taking ages

I clicked the button to include Windows Update Cleanup to recover a few Gb of HD space. It's been going for about 4hrs so far with seemingly little signs of progress.

Could I cancel and forget about it or let the Cleanup run its course?

:)

Doc943, Aug 10, 2018
  2. rtwjunkie Win User

geforce experience takes an age to load..

Well that's why I asked. Mine is on SSD and takes 11 seconds. Your list of games will not appear if it has not checkd for updated suggested settings for awhile until it checks.

When it says it is refreshing the game list, it is checking, because NVIDIA periodically updates suggested settings. Plus it will look for those for new games you have installed.

So, the less it is run, the slower it will be.

rtwjunkie, Aug 10, 2018
  3. Sleep takes ages to awake

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand how you feel about the situation . Let me help you in resolving the issue.

This issue may happen due to system file corruption. I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow
    the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin)
      to bring up elevated Command prompt.
    • In Command prompt type sfc/scannow and press enter.
    • Restart the computer.
    If no corrupted system files were found in the previous state, then I suggest you to try the following steps:

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.
    • In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

• Close the command prompt and restart the PC and check if it works.
    Hope this information helps. Please let us know if the issue persist and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Aug 10, 2018
  4. Mohan B P Win User

Age Of Empires The Age Of Kings Multiplayer Crash

Hi,

This issue might happen if the Windows Firewall is blocking the game from connecting to the LAN.

I suggest you to add the Age of Empires the Age of Kings, to the exception list of the Windows Firewall and check if the issue is resolved.

Follow the steps below.

• Press Windows key + X key and select
      Control Panel.

• Click on View by in the top right panel and select Small Icons.

• Find and click on Windows Firewall.

• Click on Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall in the left panel.

• Click on Change Settings, find and check the Age of Empires the Age of Kings box for both
      Public and Private Columns.

• If Age of Empires the Age of Kings is not listed, then click on
      Add and select the installed path of the game.

Hope the information helps. Kindly write back to us for further assistance on Windows. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohan B P, Aug 10, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Update Cleanup taking ages - Similar Threads - Update Cleanup taking

2. Windows Update Cleanup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update Cleanup: Curățirea discului este de 11,6 GB în fișierul Windows Update Cleanup în Windous 10. Mi-a apărut și ecranul albastru care a restartat sistemul. Se pot elimina acesti GB?...
  3. Outlook takes ages to load

in Browsers and Email
    Outlook takes ages to load: Hi all. Ever since I synced my email I have had a problem with all Microsoft sites taking ages to load. Can someone tell my what I can do about this? thanks 25624
  4. Windows Update Cleanup

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Update Cleanup: Hi, everyone. Has anyone else noticed how slow Disk Cleanup has become if you choose 'Clean up system files' and select Windows Update Cleanup after a clean install of Windows 10? Just the Windows Update Cleanup part is slow - took about 20-25 minutes to get through it...
  5. Web pages taking ages to finish loading

in Browsers and Email
    Web pages taking ages to finish loading: I use Win10 on a fast broadband connection (100Mbps) will lowish ping rates. I notice that more and more web sites are taking a long time to finish loading. They start very fast indeed, but are incomplete and it can take up to a minute before the screen has finished...
  6. Checking for updates taking ages

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Checking for updates taking ages: Win 10 machine. Got it yesterday, it was checking for updates fine last night. In this evening and I thought I'd do a manual check but it's been running as checking for updates about 15 mins now. Is this normal. There is no way to cancel the check and kick it back off acain...
  7. Update Cleanup missing in Disk Cleanup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Update Cleanup missing in Disk Cleanup: Just got another update today, still having this issue. I used to have "Windows Update Files" or something along those lines whenever I ran disk cleanup after an update, but now that doesn't appear in the list. How far back would "the last few builds" be? "the last...
  8. W10TP Takes ages to install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    W10TP Takes ages to install: Since I have a 75/75 connection, I thought I'd install it but it takes ages with me only getting 80 to 150 KB/second. Why is this? 3799
  9. Download folder takes an age to load

in Windows 10 Support
    Download folder takes an age to load: Every other folder in File Explorer opens virtually immediately to show all contents but why does the Download folder have to reload the contents, which takes quite some time, the first time the folder is accessed after switching on. [img] 8226
  10. Settings window takes ages to load language list

in Windows 10 Support
    Settings window takes ages to load language list: Hey everyone, I hope I'm not posting this twice now. The first time around, the thread seems to have disappeared. So on my new laptop, ever since I tried to add English as a second language, the settings window takes ages to load the liist of installed languages. The...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows update cleanup takes ages