Windows 10: Windows update deleted my printer driver

Discus and support Windows update deleted my printer driver in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; The latest Windows 10 update apparently killed off the driver for my HP OfficeJet J4540 printer. When I tried to print the document, nothing showed on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by MDL, Sep 25, 2016.

1. MDL
    MDL Win User

Windows update deleted my printer driver

The latest Windows 10 update apparently killed off the driver for my HP OfficeJet J4540 printer. When I tried to print the document, nothing showed on the window except the FAX and PDF programs which I never use.

When I went to the control panel and clicked on the printer icon, the line underneath said that the driver was unavailable. That's strange, since the printer is only four years old and it was "available" before the upgrade.

So what's up with that? Even the Driver Support program can't seem to help.

:)

2. Karen69NZ Win User

My Printer stop working after Window 10, V1607 update

My printers won't work either. I have a Brother and an Epson. Have updated both printer drivers- including deleting the old drivers and installing new ones.

This latest Windows 10 update is messing with my work. Windows update deleted my printer driver :(

Karen69NZ, Sep 25, 2016
  3. The last win 10 update deleted my printer driver

Try this:

Power up the printer, if wired unplug it's USB cable from PC.

Right click Start button in Windows 8/10 to open Programs and Features (or in Windows 7 type it in Start Search) to Uninstall all the printer software. Restart.

Next copy and paste in Start search box:
    printui /s /t2

Right click result to Run as Administrator.

Open the Print Server properties,
    Remove the printer’s drivers for this printer and for any other
    printers you don't use presently.
    If you get a message about access denied or the printer being in use and you cannot find the driver or any installed program that would account for this, you may restart the computer
    in a diagnostic startup and then use the printui command to remove the driver package(s) (see
    How to perform a diagnostic startup in Windows).
    You must restart back to normal mode before you will be able to install the printer again.

Now in Start Menu open Devices and Printers, right click the printer to delete the Printer and any scanner or fax of the same name. Restart PC.

Go to the printer model’s Support Downloads webpage to download and install the basic driver. If a wireless printer you will need the full software package to get it set up fully. If you want to be able
    to scan from the printer top to the PC then you'll also need the full package

Extract Printer software, right click Setup file to Run as Administrator.
    Follow the setup screens closely as you install the software.
    For USB it should prompt when to plug in the printer.

If you have further problems reply back with results of each step.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Sep 25, 2016
  4. Steve C Win User

Steve C, Sep 25, 2016
  5. MDL
    MDL Win User
    Been there, done that. The downloader gets as far as Checking System and keeps rolling along. After a half-hour of watching the wheel spin and the green line crawl along, I assumed that nothing was going to happen. I tried it three times yesterday and threw in the towel. I'm almost guessing that it's a good download for Windows 7 but not necessarily for 10.

6. willus Win User
    This has happened to me as well, on multiple updates. I have an old HP printer (HP P1000) where I've had to install a Deskjet 970Cse driver from the extra list of printer drivers ever since Windows 7 since it's the only remaining driver I can still install that's compatible. This happened when I upgraded from 7 to 10 and then again during this last annual update. I was able to re-install the HP 970Cse driver after each update, but MS should not be deleting printer drivers during updates, period. I am very annoyed by this.

willus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows update deleted my printer driver - Similar Threads - update deleted printer

2. How to update driver of my printer as my printer's driver is out dated

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to update driver of my printer as my printer's driver is out dated: How to update driver of my printer as my printer's driver is out dated https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-update-driver-of-my-printer-as-my-printers/93416aa3-ddec-4cdf-a6e9-4226dd9fc72f
  3. Need to delete printer driver package - will NOT delete.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need to delete printer driver package - will NOT delete.: I need to delete a printer driver package.windows>settings>devices>printers&scanners>select printer>removethenwindows>settings>devices>printers&scanners>print server properties>drivers>select driver>remove> remove driver and driver package>ok>yesresult: Failed to remove...
  4. Need to delete printer driver package - will NOT delete.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need to delete printer driver package - will NOT delete.: I need to delete a printer driver package.windows>settings>devices>printers&scanners>select printer>removethenwindows>settings>devices>printers&scanners>print server properties>drivers>select driver>remove> remove driver and driver package>ok>yesresult: Failed to remove...
  5. Need to delete printer driver package - will NOT delete.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. Deleted printer driver

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleted printer driver: I think i may have deleted my printer driver when attempting to delete a printer. I have tried restarting the computer but i still cant find i the driver on the computer . Is there a link to download...
  7. Deleted printer driver

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleted printer driver: I think i may have deleted my printer driver when attempting to delete a printer. I have tried restarting the computer but i still cant find i the driver on the computer . Is there a link to download...
  8. Deleted printer driver

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. Windows 10 Printer Driver Deletion

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Printer Driver Deletion: Why is it absolutely crucial for Microsoft to delete printer/scanner drivers with virtually every Windows 10 update? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-printer-driver-deletion/b67a274a-4979-464b-89ab-8034a7763be0
  10. Windows 10 update deleting printer drivers

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 update deleting printer drivers: I have two computers running Windows 10 OS. Every time Windows 10 does an update it deletes my printer drivers and I have to reinstall the printer. I have seen where someone else asked the same question but the response provided by Microsoft did not advise of a resolve on...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. I DELETED DRIVER windows driver updates

2. windows update deleted printer