Windows 10: Windows Update does not check for updates automatically.

Discus and support Windows Update does not check for updates automatically. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have this problem for a long time on my laptop, windows update does not automatically search for updates, I have to do a manual search to download... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Hijin25, May 24, 2017.

1. Hijin25 Win User

Windows Update does not check for updates automatically.

I have this problem for a long time on my laptop, windows update does not automatically search for updates, I have to do a manual search to download the latest updates.

I have run the microsoft problem solver, also one that I found in this forum, I have installed and reinstalled W10 hundreds of times, but nothing fixes it, I have resorted to microsoft support and they do not give me answer. My operating system is original, came with the computer. Nor is it my laptop, I have installed windows 7 and windows update works perfectly.

:)

Hijin25, May 24, 2017

2. Window update won't check for updates automatically

Please provide more information to enable your problem to be diagnosed.

Please restart your computer and allow 20 minutes for the system to run before uploading information. When examining Event Viewer log files many, not all, problems show in the period immediately after
    the computer has been booted.

Please provide a copy of your System Information file. Type
    System Information in the Search Box above the start Button and press the ENTER key (alternative is Select Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Information). Select File, Export and give the file a name noting where it is
    located. Do not place the cursor within the body of the report before exporting the file. The system creates a new System Information file each time system information is
    accessed. You need to allow a minute or two for the file to be fully populated before exporting a copy. Please upload the file to your OneDrive, share with everyone and post a link here. If the report is in a language other than English, please state the language.

Please upload and share with everyone a fresh copy of your
    System log from your Event Viewer to your One Drive and post a link here. It helps to avoid confusion if you remove any earlier copies of the log files from your OneDrive.

To access the System log select Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer, from the list in the left side of the window expand Windows Logs and select System. Place the cursor on System,
    select Action from the Menu and Save All Events as (the default
    evtx file type) and give the file a name. Do not provide filtered files.
    Do not place the cursor in the list of reports before selecting Action from the menu. Do
    not clear logs whilst you have a continuing problem.

For help with OneDrive see paragraph 9.3:

gerrys template

General notes on Event Viewer:

gerrys template

Notes on using Windows Update:

gerrys template

Gerry C J Cornell, May 24, 2017
  3. Daneze Win User
    Window update won't check for updates automatically

My system refuses to check for updates automatically, why?

Daneze, May 24, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, May 24, 2017
  5. Hijin25 Win User
    Thanks for answering. No, I have never disabled windows update and my connection is excellent.

I also tried the first method that recommends me. I have also tried with sfc / scannow and it does not mark me any problem even other commands in cmd, like dism.exe. And none mark any fault.

Hijin25, May 24, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    So you don't have a metered connection and have never disabled it.

You have reset Windows update like this:
    You have run the Windows update troubleshooter.

Have you run Tweaking.com's free cautious repair tool?
    (Windows update dosen't work Solved - Page 2 - Windows 10 Forums
    #17)
    Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Free/Pro

Windows Update does not check for updates automatically. [​IMG]

- just repair 17?

And what is the state of your Windows update service?

(Windows key + R, services.msc)

If you can access the internet, it shouldn't be a driver problem - you say Windows update has never worked for you using Win 10 - which will use different drivers.

Are you certain your internet connection isn't metered? This is a difference between Win 7 and Win 10 as updates are not delivered over a metered connection (until you upgrade to the Creator's Build when 'critical' updates will be).

dalchina, May 24, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, May 24, 2017
  8. Hijin25 Win User

Thanks, I'm going to run the tool and see if it looks for updates automatically, tomorrow I confirm.

Hijin25, May 25, 2017
  9. I don't have a solution (other than say check all setting to see how updates are handled), but you saying you reinstalled W10 several times, and the the issue continues, leads me to say it's a setting that you have selected, and you probably also have the option to sync settings, so when you reinstall Windows, sign in, and set things up, the synced setting will take effect, and that will give you the same issue. If you ever reinstall again first go to settings under your account, and make sure settings are not set to sync.

Bobby Phoenix, May 25, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    The question wasn't the quality of your connection, it was asking if you have turned on 'Metered connection' in Settings. Doing so will stop automatic checks for updates.

11. Hijin25 Win User
    I do not make any changes to the windows configuration, I have left it by default every time I have installed the system.

Hijin25, May 25, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
    Hello, are you using an ethernet or a Wifi connection?

I believe that means you've not made settings changes, but to be clear, let's try this another way.

1. Please post a screenshot like this:

If you are using a Wifi connection, click on the name of it as shown.

Then post a screenshot like this. Thanks.

dalchina, May 25, 2017
  13. Hijin25 Win User

Sorry for not informing you before, I was working.I ran this tool and it already searches automatically, thank you very much for your help.

Hijin25, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Update does not check for updates automatically. - Similar Threads - Update does check

2. Why windows could not check for updates automatically?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why windows could not check for updates automatically?: In my computer's flag icon it is notify that windows could not check for updates automatically and this issues warns frequently. I try to solve this problem by the instruction but can't so suggest me better ideas.Thanks!...
  3. Why windows could not check for updates automatically?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why windows could not check for updates automatically?: In my computer's flag icon it is notify that windows could not check for updates automatically and this issues warns frequently. I try to solve this problem by the instruction but can't so suggest me better ideas.Thanks!...
  4. how to check window update automatically?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to check window update automatically?: i have two important message on my pc display in which one important message is window couldn't check for update automatically. please tell me how can i fix this issue ?...
  5. how to check window update automatically?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to check window update automatically?: i have two important message on my pc display in which one important message is window couldn't check for update automatically. please tell me how can i fix this issue ?...
  6. Why does Windows 10 not checking for updates automatically?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why does Windows 10 not checking for updates automatically?: Because of this I have to do manually check my laptop for updates by clicking check for updates. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-windows-10-not-checking-for-updates/027feef7-dd2e-4dbe-99ee-9aa2659aeacf
  7. Why does Windows 10 not checking for updates automatically?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why does Windows 10 not checking for updates automatically?: Because of this I have to do manually check my laptop for updates by clicking check for updates. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-windows-10-not-checking-for-updates/027feef7-dd2e-4dbe-99ee-9aa2659aeacf
  8. how often does windows automatically check for updates?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how often does windows automatically check for updates?: hi can anyone tell how often windows automatically checks for updates(last check was yesterday at about 21:30 gmt I'm nervous of clicking check for updates as i read its recommended you don't...
  9. 1803: Is Windows Update automatically checking for updates?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    1803: Is Windows Update automatically checking for updates?: Previously, in version 1709, Windows Update would check for updates every time I turned on my pc. Since it was upgraded to version 1803 it seems to have stopped doing that. [img] It is no longer saying that updates will be installed automatically. When I click on Advanced...
  10. Windows update not checking automatically for updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows update not checking automatically for updates: Came to check my secondary machine which usually remains locked but powered on and windows update said your device is up to date last checked 06/08/15 at 23:01, today is 12/08/15. Anyone else seeing this? 15477