Windows 10: Windows Update Fails - I can't use SFC or DISM

Discus and support Windows Update Fails - I can't use SFC or DISM in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Please, help I try to use SFC and DISM but fails .. sfc /scannow Beginning system scan. This process will take some time. Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by mbd, Apr 10, 2016.

1. MBD
    mbd Win User

Windows Update Fails - I can't use SFC or DISM

Please, help

I try to use SFC and DISM but fails ..

Here is the log :
    Dropbox - dism.log

or here
    dism.log

:)

2. Unable to repair the system use sfc or dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

After click Repair your computer, then it just like the advanced startup. it still need the image which created by the computer but not the install file.

M. Trevelyan Kurt, Apr 10, 2016
  3. Unable to repair the system use sfc or dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

1 Actually , everything works right, just dism unable to find source.

2 After the update from 8.1, sfc said that system files wrong.

And the way you provide doesn't work, sorry for that.

M. Trevelyan Kurt, Apr 10, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, I would suggest an in-place upgrade repair install, assuming you have no system images or disk images to fall back on.

Before you start, given what you report, I'd also recommend you run
    chkdsk C: /F
    from an admin command prompt
    (repeat for any other partitions)
    as we don't know what caused the corruption.
    Also check the SMART parameters of your disk
    (e.g. Crystaldiskinfo
    CrystalDiskInfo - Software - Crystal Dew World
    )

An In-place upgrade repair install will fix many things, but not those where the settings are not changed by the procedure.

For this you need an installation medium with the same base build as you have installed.
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums
    This will refresh Windows, after the manner of a Windows installation.
    - all/most associations will be unchanged
    - all your programs will be left installed
    - you will lose any custom fonts
    - you will lose any customised system icons
    - you may need to re-establish your Wi-Fi connection
    - you will need to redo Windows updates subsequent to the build you have used for the repair install
    - Windows.old will be created
    - system restore will be turned off- you should turn it on again and I recommend you manually schedule a daily restore point.
    - you will need to redo any language downloads including the display language if you changed that)

This is one of the better features of Win10: as each major build comes out, that's your updated reference build, and as updates are mostly cumulative, there will be few to do.

Recommendation:
    Before you perform this major repair procedure, do create a disk image.

Please consider using disk imaging regularly. It's a brilliant way to
    - preserve your system (and your sanity)
    - back up your data
    - restore your system to a previously working state in a relatively short time

Recommended: Macrium Reflect or Aomei Backupper (free) + their boot disk/device + large enough external storage medium.

dalchina, Apr 13, 2016
  5. MBD
    mbd Win User
    Windows Update Fails - I can't use SFC or DISM [​IMG]

I did chkdsk C: /F

for all drives and I did use Crystaldiskinfo and it's good hard drive is okay.

I try to refresh like on those step to keep my data, but seems problem as screenshot given.

There was problem resetting your PC,

So I am not sure what to do next.

My Current : Windows 10 Build 10240 ( x64 )

I try to upgrade to Latest Build Windows 10 1511 (x64)
    but also fails .. I used media creation tool and also other version from advice of Microsoft I downloaded this issue Win10_1511_English_x64.iso
    File Hash :
    File: Win10_1511_English_x64.iso
    CRC-32: 4632392a
    MD4: 6beb47792309872627bc0d9fc90c51a9
    MD5: a0d4271b7537732a060909fd39d54829
    SHA-1: 875ec108288b9f581e5d8099cf0edb79f0f3e483

Windows Update Fails - I can't use SFC or DISM [​IMG]

6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, I understood that originally you could boot your PC successfully. Now it seems not, which is sad. So my recommendation:

a. back up any data you need from your disk if you haven't already done so (backing up is essential for everyone- otherwise...)
    As your PC is unbootable you have two options:
    i. Boot it from a live boot medium (CD or USB flash drive), connect an external disk to it and copy off anything you need
    ii extract the disk from your PC and connect it to another PC, and copy the data

b. Clean install Windows, formatting your Windows partition (or disk, if it's not partitioned).

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Update Fails - I can't use SFC or DISM - Similar Threads - Update Fails can't

2. Windows Update fail / Repair install fail / SFC + DISM fail

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update fail / Repair install fail / SFC + DISM fail: Hey there - really grateful for this forum's answers over the years but only now becoming a member to submit a puzzle of my own. Thanks for being here! This is a few-day-old new HP Envy x360 with 21H1 19043.1052 which I was getting set up, when it stopped being able to get...
  3. Windows update & Dism, Sfc not working

Windows update & Dism, Sfc not working: I am trying to update 2021-06 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64-based Systems KB5003637. But while installing it says "There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact...
  4. sfc fails dism source fails

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    sfc fails dism source fails: Windows 10 1803 Workgroup Tried all 3 and failed Have downloaded 1803 iso and mounted and shows as F:\ i see F:\sources\boot.wim have tried to run DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:F:\Sources\install.wim:1 /LimitAccess DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image...
  5. I can't update windows and sfc and dism do not work.

I can't update windows and sfc and dism do not work.: Hi, my windows 10 doesn't update anymore. It usually stop's after 100% and says it can't update. I tried most of the solutions on internet, but there is something wrong and I just can't find it. When I use sfc, it tells me: Windows Resource Protection could not start the...
  6. Problems with SFC, Dism and Windows Update

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Problems with SFC, Dism and Windows Update: Greetings! I have the following problem in progress. I try to update Windows and give error 0x8007025d, so when I run and SFC it stops at 57 percent. I wanted to do an inplace to solve the problem however, MediaCreationTool1909 returns me that I have to update to 2004, but...
  7. windows update fails, DISM fails SFC fails

windows update fails, DISM fails SFC fails: Initially windows update failed to update. I ran SFC and it failed saying some files were corrupted and the CBS log had a message that it was unable to update fhengine.dll. DISM online gave the below. Any help ? Clean virus scan. Thanks C:\Windows\system32>DISM.exe...
  8. sfc and dism fail

sfc and dism fail: I had to restart my PC today using the power button after I ran into an issue with the USB controller stopped working resulting in no keyboard nor mouse. I managed to RDP into the PC from my mobile phone and thought I was able to restart my PC successfully. But the screen...
  9. Sfc /scannow and DISM /Online fails

Sfc /scannow and DISM /Online fails: My Lenovo T400 with Windows 10 version 1511 works just fine. But I do find that these 2 commands fail me. Logs are attached. I do want to preserve some applications that I have installed so suggestions on how I can repair or upgrade would be appreciated. It's my understanding...
  10. DISM and SFC

DISM and SFC: I posted in the Win 8 forum but saw I should have posted here. I read the corrective material in Win 8 as to how to fix this missing or corrupted files issue but either it is over my level or it is too difficult for me. I have run both programs and rebooted. i have run in...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. the configuration registry database is corrupt.the dism log file can be found at c:\windows\logs\dism\dism.log