Windows 10: Windows Update Failure Help Please

Discus and support Windows Update Failure Help Please in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; It's possible this is an old thread, but would like fresh response(s) please. I have an Asus Flip laptop running Win 10 Home 64 bit. Recently, I've... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by DeelSeeker, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Windows Update Failure Help Please

It's possible this is an old thread, but would like fresh response(s) please. I have an Asus Flip laptop running Win 10 Home 64 bit. Recently, I've been having problems installing Windows updates, namely KB4015438. After doing some reading, I then tried downloading and installing KB4016635, both with the same error message "we couldn't complete the updates - undoing changes." I tried multiple times with the same failure result. This failure to install these (and perhaps future) updates seems to have had other ramifications - the aforementioned updates won't install, which prevents other actions from taking place.

Would really appreciate help in resolving this issue. I'm recovering from a stroke, and would ask that any instructions are detailed and step by step. I'm normally pretty good about troubleshooting many/most problems, but now need a little extra help.

Thank you in advance.

:)

DeelSeeker, Mar 26, 2017
  2. Rose Ter Win User

security update failure in 1709? Please help.

We appreciate your response. If we may ask, have you tried the troubleshooting steps that were provided in the above post?
    Here’s the
    link

Don’t hesitate to contact us if you have further inquiries.

Rose Ter, Mar 26, 2017
  3. security update failure in 1709? Please help.

this is the error message
    Windows Update Failure Help Please [​IMG]

josephburbo, Mar 26, 2017
  4. Windows Update Failure Help Please

Try to download WF.bat and run it as admin, it will perform Windows Update cleanup.

TairikuOkami, Mar 26, 2017
  5. Hi,

Thanks for the quick response. I have a concern though. The file you refer to is identified as a trojan. I did a preliminary check, and Windows blocked it from running. I have enough problems without adding to them, so I'm hoping you or someone else out there has another idea, as I read this file is difficult to remove.

DeelSeeker, Mar 26, 2017
  6. Interesting, you mean by Windows Defender?

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/0...is/1490612091/

Anyway, you can review the file on pastebin, it basically removes Windows Updates registry entries, WU's cache, it runs component cleanup and disk cleanup. You can do it manually, it just takes more time.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...-update-errors

Reset Windows Update in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Windows Update Activation Tutorials

Open and Use Disk Cleanup in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

TairikuOkami, Mar 26, 2017
  7. I googled it. Probable stupid question alert - is there a difference between wf.bat and wf/bat? I missed it first time I read the google results, which was for wf/bat. That is what was identified as a trojan. See link How To Remove Bat/wf (Instructions)

However, as indicated before, I got a popup window stating Windows had protected my PC, stating the file is from an unknown publisher.

DeelSeeker, Mar 26, 2017
  8. mrgeek Win User

Windows Update Failure Help Please

The first thing to try is the WU Troubleshooter. Open Control Panel\Troubleshooting\System and Security\Fix problems with Windows Update
    Click 'Advanced' and then Run as administrator

mrgeek, Mar 26, 2017
  9. Thank you for your response. Be advised I did run the update troubleshooter. It did indicate it had discovered several problems, which it indicated were now fixed. I tried installing those same update files again, with the same failed results.

DeelSeeker, Mar 26, 2017
  10. mrgeek Win User
    I'm assuming you're trying to install in background from Action Center\Updates & security\Windows Update. If the Troubleshooter has run, the last thing I'd try is do it from a clean boot in case there's a driver conflict. Turn off your anti-virus. Then do a clean boot by following Part One in this tutorial -
    Perform a Clean Boot in Windows 10 to Troubleshoot Software Conflicts

Part Two deals with what to do after restart, which in your case, involves going into Action Center and trying install again. After your success or failure, follow the directions to troubleshoot further. Part Three will show you how to re-enable normal boot.

PS; there's a Creator's Update due out next month which is a rewrite Win10 so if you can't install this Update, you might just wait the 3 wks before this comes out and replaces the entire OS, rendering the latest Update irrelevant.

mrgeek, Mar 26, 2017
  11. FYI, I tried to perform a clean boot per the instructions you were kind enough to provide. Unfortunately, that didn't work either. I got the same error message "we couldn't complete the updates - undoing changes." I'll just do what I thought I'd end up doing - waiting for the next update. I hope that will finally resolve my problem. Thank you so much for doing so much to try and help. Kindest regards.

DeelSeeker, Mar 27, 2017
  12. Scramjet Win User
    After trying many suggestions I decided to try do the following;

I downloaded a new copy of the Media Creation Tool and then selected "create installation media for another PC. I selected the ISO option and saved to my downloads folder. I then double-clicked on the Windows.iso file and that mounted the iso so I could select the setup.exe file. I executed the setup.exe and followed the screens to install. I selected "Keep Windows settings, personal files and applications" That is the key to non-destructive reinstall i believe,
    Note: Do not install from a USB or DVD, only from the mounted ISO ok.
    Only took about 1/2 hr and I was up and running again and then I checked for updates and all went smooth. I am now up to date with 14393.969.
    Just be sure you close any programs you have open. Also disable your antivirus if different than Defender.
    This option will keep all your installed programs intact and a fresh copy of Windows. Worked flawless for me.
    Good luck

Scramjet, Mar 27, 2017
  13. mrgeek Win User

Thanks for that. You basically did this - Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade and then did the Upgrades after the fresh copy fixed whatever issues were interfering. From what I've read in other topics on this particular cum update, this may be faster than waiting all the hrs for it to download in background and then try to install that other are experiencing. The usb option, which is the only one if you can't boot, is over used when the In Place ISO is fast and effective. The key is download a new copy with MCT each time, as it's updated periodically.

I do manage a bunch of other Win10 systems, many in other states and only one failed to install this latest update but after taking a break, I came back and the message to Restart to Finish Updates was on the screen, so maybe I wasn't patient enough. The In-Place Upgrade/Repair is my preferred method of installing major updates like 1511 or Anniversary and I will be doing it that way again with the Creators Update next month. Again, thanks for your input.

mrgeek, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Update Failure Help Please - Similar Threads - Update Failure Help

2. BSODs with failure ID IP_MISALIGNED_AuthenticAMD.sys - please help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSODs with failure ID IP_MISALIGNED_AuthenticAMD.sys - please help: Hi, I'm experiencing regularly occurring BSODs with failure ID IP_MISALIGNED_AuthenticAMD.sysCan anyone help me identify the underlying driver that is responsible?Dumps saved here:https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuT-acB6OZnAaQg4cXGOypLk1gw?e=IbA7qkThanks!Michael...
  3. BSODs with failure ID IP_MISALIGNED_AuthenticAMD.sys - please help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSODs with failure ID IP_MISALIGNED_AuthenticAMD.sys - please help: Hi, I'm experiencing regularly occurring BSODs with failure ID IP_MISALIGNED_AuthenticAMD.sysCan anyone help me identify the underlying driver that is responsible?Dumps saved here:https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuT-acB6OZnAaQg4cXGOypLk1gw?e=IbA7qkThanks!Michael...
  4. Please help me diagnose windows/ driver failures.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Please help me diagnose windows/ driver failures.: My computer is crashing a lot . This is 100% related to WINDOWS 11 OS and companion drivers for my DELL G5 SE. I took my computer to my friend who ran diagnostics on it who and that there is a driver issue and that I just need to wait for DELL to update their drivers. In the...
  5. Please help me diagnose windows/ driver failures.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Please help me diagnose windows/ driver failures.: My computer is crashing a lot . This is 100% related to WINDOWS 11 OS and companion drivers for my DELL G5 SE. I took my computer to my friend who ran diagnostics on it who and that there is a driver issue and that I just need to wait for DELL to update their drivers. In the...
  6. Driver Power State Failure Please Help

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Driver Power State Failure Please Help: I am using my old laptop then after i finished updating my nvidia driver to the latest version then shutdown my laptop a bsod pop up after freezing in the shutdown it says DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE and then i have a hard time booting it up because the monitor wont open but...
  7. Windows 10 Update Failure, Help?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Update Failure, Help?: "We Couldn't Install Windows 10 We've set your PC back to the way it was right before you started installing Windows 10 0x8007001F - 0x20006 The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during REPLICATE_OS operation" I just got a key for Win10 and I don't...
  8. Help ... Windows 10 updates failure

Help ... Windows 10 updates failure: Hi all, I re-installed windows 10 home addition from USB disk and the windows update is not working. When trying to perform an update an error message appears with code 0x80240fff Any idea?...
  9. Help with Windows 10 update failure

Help with Windows 10 update failure: I am trying the install the latest Cumulative Windows 10 update KB4530684 on my inspiron 5759 x64 intel-based laptop which has consistently failed. Looking at the Windows 10 installation log before it was deleted! it appears this may be failing because previous update...
  10. Driver failure WudfRd event 219 help please ?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Driver failure WudfRd event 219 help please ?: Hello all I am having issues after fresh install of win 10 help would be appreciated on this fix please if you can point me in the right direction for updated device drivers for this error I have no idea how to repair this screenshots attached below pc also shuts down...