Windows 10: Windows Update is broken (WU Troubleshooting can't fix)

Discus and support Windows Update is broken (WU Troubleshooting can't fix) in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi there. I hope the thread's title is adequate. Problem: I seem to have a number of problems with my Windows 10 installation (App Store is corrupt... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Naggash, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Naggash Win User

Windows Update is broken (WU Troubleshooting can't fix)

Hi there.
    I hope the thread's title is adequate.

Problem: I seem to have a number of problems with my Windows 10 installation (App Store is corrupt for example and after hours of trying every possible solution to no avail I just gave up because I don't use it). I tell you this for context sake. The important stuff: When I run Windows Update Troubleshooter it finds various problems and it "fixes" them, though after a restart if I run it again, it finds the same errors again, and "fixes" them again (not really, of course). It's noteworthy that one of the errors it finds is that I have pending updates, but when I go to Windows Updates under Settings and check, it sais there are no updates available.

Screenshot:

Windows Update is broken (WU Troubleshooting can't fix) [​IMG]

That's about it. I surfed the internet for a while searching for a solution but nothing seems to work.

Thanks in advance for reading this and for the help you may provide.

:)

Naggash, Aug 27, 2017

2. Update KB3186568 is failing to install.

They finally fixed the WU troubleshooter?! (It'd been "broken" since Nov-16.)

<EDIT> I don't think so! </EDIT>

PA Bear - MS MVP, Aug 27, 2017
  3. John Z NC Win User
    Cumulative Updates Failing

Downloaded and ran the WU troubleshooter. It reported "Potential Windows Update Database error detected - Not fixed". Rebooted and repeated the WU run with the same results.

Rebooted and checked for updates. Didn't seem to work, but my error.

Tried the WU troubleshooter in Windows 10. It found and fixed things not seen by the downloaded version.

Rebooted and checked for updates. That found the KB3200970 update. Waited for the install preparation to complete and clicked restart now. We'll see the result in the morning.

John Z NC, Aug 27, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

A clean install will set you up with a 100% good base to start things off right again and will last for several major future upgrades, if you don't tinker with it too much.

NavyLCDR, Aug 27, 2017
  5. Naggash Win User
    I realize that but I'm trying to find another solution because this has happened on my new computer, where I installed W10 like 2 weeks ago. I only realized this was happening after having installed all my software and transfered all my files from my previous computer and you all know how tedious that is.

I'm not really looking forward to doing it all again just after a couple of weeks, so if there is any possible solution to this problem that doesn't involve a clean install I'd rather try it.

If it's just too random or complex then yeah, I guess I'll do it when I see I start falling too behind on updates.

Naggash, Aug 27, 2017
  6. DavidY Win User
    I've had good results from this Tutorial in the past when I had Update problems which the troubleshooter couldn't fix:
    Reset Windows Update in Windows 10
    It won't help with your other problems though.

DavidY, Aug 27, 2017
  7. Naggash Win User
    Troubleshooting after following that solution showed the same results as before.

Naggash, Aug 27, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

You can shrink your existing partition to make space for a new partition that you would install a second, clean install of the latest version of Windows 10 to and dual boot for a while to make sure the new Windows installation was working properly.

Then when you had everything set up and ensured it was working properly, delete the old Windows partition and extend the new partition to fill the space.

NavyLCDR, Aug 27, 2017
  9. Naggash Win User
    That might be a good approach, thank you ^^

Naggash, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Update is broken (WU Troubleshooting can't fix) - Similar Threads - Update broken Troubleshooting

2. How to fix broken Windows Update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to fix broken Windows Update: I want to update windowsHowever when I open the windows update on my computer it always says "Something went wrong. Try to reopen Settings later."Previously there was a windows update stopper driver on my computer however I have deleted it and restarted the windows update...
  3. How to fix broken Windows Update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to fix broken Windows Update: I want to update windowsHowever when I open the windows update on my computer it always says "Something went wrong. Try to reopen Settings later."Previously there was a windows update stopper driver on my computer however I have deleted it and restarted the windows update...
  4. Can't be bothered waiting for WU

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't be bothered waiting for WU: I can't be bothered waiting for 22H2 to show via WU; who knows how long it might be to arrive there, so... I am using MCT to have it, now. It is "in progress" as we speak.Cheers,Drew...
  5. Can't be bothered waiting for WU

Can't be bothered waiting for WU: I can't be bothered waiting for 22H2 to show via WU; who knows how long it might be to arrive there, so... I am using MCT to have it, now. It is "in progress" as we speak.Cheers,Drew...
  6. Windows Update broken but fixed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update broken but fixed: Windows update was broken on my computer for two months. The C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder was full of bad stuff. I went to Contact Us - Microsoft Support for help. I followed all the instructions from the chat robot until I finally got to talk to a support person....
  7. Can't fix WU Error

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can't fix WU Error: I have tried all the suggestions but cannot fix WU. I get error 0x8007000d when I try to install the suggested updates. I finally got the .NET update to install but none of the cumulative updates will. They all error with that code. 168104
  8. Compatibility Troubleshooter Broken

in Windows 10 Support
    Compatibility Troubleshooter Broken: Hi all, first time posting here I am on a Dutch Windows 10 Pro install I`ve been having this problem for a couple of days When I run the Windows 10 Compatibility Troubleshooter, it seems to hang on the detecting issues screen. It used to take some seconds before the next...
  9. Fresh install of Windows 10, but Windows Update errors (0x80240fff). WU Troubleshooter...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fresh install of Windows 10, but Windows Update errors (0x80240fff). WU Troubleshooter...: I recently reinstalled Windows 10, and am unable to update it. It errors with the code 0x80240fff every time. I've tried running the Update Troubleshooter multiple times, and it always reports "Problems found" and states that "Windows Update components must be repiared",...
  10. Windows Store Broken - Can't Seem to Fix

Windows Store Broken - Can't Seem to Fix: Hi, I get the following error when trying to launch the Windows Store app on latest Win 10. [img] I've tried completely uninstalling and reinstalling using the PowerShell as admin and I also tried resetting the cache. None of this has worked... any ideas? 113143