Windows 10: Windows Update is broken (WU Troubleshooting can't fix)

Discus and support Windows Update is broken (WU Troubleshooting can't fix) in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi there. I hope the thread's title is adequate. Problem: I seem to have a number of problems with my Windows 10 installation (App Store is corrupt... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Naggash, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Naggash Win User

Windows Update is broken (WU Troubleshooting can't fix)

Hi there.
    I hope the thread's title is adequate.

Problem: I seem to have a number of problems with my Windows 10 installation (App Store is corrupt for example and after hours of trying every possible solution to no avail I just gave up because I don't use it). I tell you this for context sake. The important stuff: When I run Windows Update Troubleshooter it finds various problems and it "fixes" them, though after a restart if I run it again, it finds the same errors again, and "fixes" them again (not really, of course). It's noteworthy that one of the errors it finds is that I have pending updates, but when I go to Windows Updates under Settings and check, it sais there are no updates available.

Screenshot:

Windows Update is broken (WU Troubleshooting can't fix) [​IMG]

That's about it. I surfed the internet for a while searching for a solution but nothing seems to work.

Thanks in advance for reading this and for the help you may provide.

:)

Naggash, Aug 27, 2017

2. Update KB3186568 is failing to install.

They finally fixed the WU troubleshooter?! (It'd been "broken" since Nov-16.)

<EDIT> I don't think so! </EDIT>

PA Bear - MS MVP, Aug 27, 2017
  3. John Z NC Win User
    Cumulative Updates Failing

Downloaded and ran the WU troubleshooter. It reported "Potential Windows Update Database error detected - Not fixed". Rebooted and repeated the WU run with the same results.

Rebooted and checked for updates. Didn't seem to work, but my error.

Tried the WU troubleshooter in Windows 10. It found and fixed things not seen by the downloaded version.

Rebooted and checked for updates. That found the KB3200970 update. Waited for the install preparation to complete and clicked restart now. We'll see the result in the morning.

John Z NC, Aug 27, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

A clean install will set you up with a 100% good base to start things off right again and will last for several major future upgrades, if you don't tinker with it too much.

NavyLCDR, Aug 27, 2017
  5. Naggash Win User
    I realize that but I'm trying to find another solution because this has happened on my new computer, where I installed W10 like 2 weeks ago. I only realized this was happening after having installed all my software and transfered all my files from my previous computer and you all know how tedious that is.

I'm not really looking forward to doing it all again just after a couple of weeks, so if there is any possible solution to this problem that doesn't involve a clean install I'd rather try it.

If it's just too random or complex then yeah, I guess I'll do it when I see I start falling too behind on updates.

Naggash, Aug 27, 2017
  6. DavidY Win User
    I've had good results from this Tutorial in the past when I had Update problems which the troubleshooter couldn't fix:
    Reset Windows Update in Windows 10
    It won't help with your other problems though.

DavidY, Aug 27, 2017
  7. Naggash Win User
    Troubleshooting after following that solution showed the same results as before.

Naggash, Aug 27, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

You can shrink your existing partition to make space for a new partition that you would install a second, clean install of the latest version of Windows 10 to and dual boot for a while to make sure the new Windows installation was working properly.

Then when you had everything set up and ensured it was working properly, delete the old Windows partition and extend the new partition to fill the space.

NavyLCDR, Aug 27, 2017
  9. Naggash Win User
    That might be a good approach, thank you ^^

Naggash, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Update is broken (WU Troubleshooting can't fix) - Similar Threads - Update broken Troubleshooting

2. Fresh install of Windows 10, but Windows Update errors (0x80240fff). WU Troubleshooter...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fresh install of Windows 10, but Windows Update errors (0x80240fff). WU Troubleshooter...: I recently reinstalled Windows 10, and am unable to update it. It errors with the code 0x80240fff every time. I've tried running the Update Troubleshooter multiple times, and it always reports "Problems found" and states that "Windows Update components must be repiared",...
  3. Need Windows Update Troubleshooter Troubleshooter

Need Windows Update Troubleshooter Troubleshooter: Windows Update doesn't work. Windows Update Troubleshooter is diligently trying to find out why. For the past TEN HOURS, Windows Update Troubleshooter has been checking for pending restart. [ATTACH]...
  4. Audio service can't be fixed after troubleshooting

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Audio service can't be fixed after troubleshooting: I had accidentally change the windows audio log on to local system and it cost me the audio service not functioning. I tried to change back the log on to local service but it wont change as i cant click on apply. I had check my friends laptop on windows audio as the default...
  5. Windows 10 WMS and WU are broken and driving me insane.

Windows 10 WMS and WU are broken and driving me insane.: Hi Everyone, I have been using a PC I built with Windows 10 installed for about 3 years now. I have run into some issues that are making me lose my mind and rendering my PC unusable at times. My build: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Spcjr/saved/z9MCJx The issues that I am...
  6. Can't fix broken Windows Spotlight (Windows 10) not working - HELP

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't fix broken Windows Spotlight (Windows 10) not working - HELP: I've tried all the guides on google, like recommended here https://www.windowscentral.com/how-fix-windows-spotlight-stuck-same-image-windows-10 and https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/windows-10-spotlight-not-working-fixed/ Neither fixes windows spotlight for me! I'm on a...
  7. Windows Store Broken - Can't Seem to Fix

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Store Broken - Can't Seem to Fix: Hi, I get the following error when trying to launch the Windows Store app on latest Win 10. [img] I've tried completely uninstalling and reinstalling using the PowerShell as admin and I also tried resetting the cache. None of this has worked... any ideas? 113143
  8. Windows Update Troubleshooter Always Finds Pending Update To Fix

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Update Troubleshooter Always Finds Pending Update To Fix: Running Windows 10, 1703. I had an issue applying KB4041676 (which I resolved) but during the course of fixing that I ran the Windows update troubleshooter. I have no pending updates and my system is up to date according to Windows Update checker. But the troubleshooter...
  9. Update problem fixed with WIN10 troubleshooter.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Update problem fixed with WIN10 troubleshooter.: My WIN 10 is updated till last Creators update. For what its worth: Today there was an update for Defender. 1-It downloaded to93% then stopped. 2-I reboot, it the start from 86% up to 93% and stopped. 3-I then went to Control panel, troubleshooter, ---Windows Update....
  10. Microsoft Store is broken in Windows 10 and I can't fix it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Store is broken in Windows 10 and I can't fix it: Hello, I was receiving an error whenever I attempted to install an application via the Microsoft Store after receiving my brand new Surface Book. I found a fix to my specific issue here. The relevant bits are: Code: As you are unable to install an app from the Windows...