Windows 10: Windows update log problem in 1607

Discus and support Windows update log problem in 1607 in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; In Can't install Windows 10 Anniversary update, stuck on build 10240 @dalchina advised... You could try reading the Windows update log...... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Bree, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Bree New Member

Windows update log problem in 1607

In Can't install Windows 10 Anniversary update, stuck on build 10240 @dalchina advised...
    ...which is good advice for the OP who was on 12040. However, being curious (and not having needed to look at it before) I thought I'd have a look at mine.

I'm on Windows 10 Home Build 14393.187. Apparently since the Anniversary Update 1607 the only thing C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log contains is...
    So I followed the instructions and generated a WindowsUpdate.log on my Desktop - all well so far. Opening it revealed 99% of the entries were of the form:
    Apparently, according to the above 'for more information...' link...

No matter how many times I clear %temp%\windowsupdatelog I never see the Microsoft Internet Symbol Store dialog box and never get a properly decoded update log. Has anyone ever got this to work? If so, what am I doing wrong? I currently don't need to see it to debug problems, but it would be nice to know it's there if I need it.

PS: I don't have (or want) a Microsoft Account, could that be the issue?

:)

2. The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID

Hi,

Windows Update has just updated 2 days ago, 4 of my PCs to the Anniversary update 1607, and the 4 PC have exactly the same 10016 problem in the event log.

Thank you,

Dominique

DominiqueRey, Sep 18, 2016
  3. Every cumulative update fails Windows 10

Log Name: System

Source: Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient

Date: 19/01/2017 12:01:13

Event ID: 20

Level: Error

Description:

Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070011: Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3213986).

0x80070011 ERROR_NOT_SAME_DEVICE The system cannot move the file to a different disk drive.

It would appear that either at the time of installing Windows 10 or subsequently that a folder / file has been moved to another partition. The problem is how can we determine what is has been moved?

Please upload a copy of the Windows Update log to your OneDrive and post a link here.

How to read Windows Update logs in Windows 10 Version 1607

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb...indows-update-logs-in-windows-10-version-1607

Windows 10, WindowsUpdate.log and how to view it with PowerShell or Tracefmt.exe:

Windows 10, WindowsUpdate.log and how to view it with PowerShell or Tracefmt.exe – Charles Allen’s Blog

You may find this task too difficult.

Gerry C J Cornell, Sep 18, 2016
  4. BunnyJ New Member

I think a better subject is needed for this thread because I don't know how many, including myself, will really understand what "W" is for.

BunnyJ, Sep 18, 2016
  5. Bree New Member
    *Dohfixed now.

6. BunnyJ New Member
    *Thumbs

BunnyJ, Sep 18, 2016
  7. Moris Win User
    I have exactly the same behavior, and I'm logged in with a Microsoft account, so this is not the issue. I'm wondering if someone with the same build (1607) is able to get any useful message from the so formatted log, since for me it's only a list of "No Format Information found" lines.

Regards *Smile

Moris, Sep 21, 2016
  8. Bree New Member

9. Moris Win User
    @Bree Thank you for your tip. I just installed the latest build and now I can see all entries in Windows Update log correctly formatted. *Thumbs

Moris, Oct 2, 2016
  10. johnpd Win User
    Have the same problem and have the latest build v1607 b14393.479. The %temp%\WindowsUpdateLog folder has been populated. I received no license terms approval request.

JohnD

johnpd, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows update log problem in 1607 - Similar Threads - update log problem

2. Windows 1607 not updating

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 1607 not updating: I have had a long lasting issue with being unable to update my windows after patch 1607, I have read the forums and tried to do it myself, as well as working with a remote Microsoft employee but my issue is still not resolved. I can no longer handle the gpu requirements to...
  3. Windows Update Logs are not generated properly for Windows 10 build 1607

Windows Update Logs are not generated properly for Windows 10 build 1607: I am trying to get the Windows Update logs on a System with Windows Server 2016 and Windows 10 build 1607 using powershell commandlet Get-WindowsUpdateLog. However, the output that I get, has random guids as below: 1600/12/31 16:00:00.0000000 956 1608...
  4. Windows 10 Pro 1607 to 1803 Update Problem

Windows 10 Pro 1607 to 1803 Update Problem: My Dell Venue 8 tablet is currently running 1607 and won't upgrade to 1803 because it needs 8-14 GB of space. I have an SD card with about 50 GB of space but it won't recognize it like it did with previous updates but it does recognize it in file manager. Windows Update...
  5. updated to W10 1607 and have a bitdefender problem

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    updated to W10 1607 and have a bitdefender problem: After updating to W10 anniversary, all seemed to go successfully. Now my AV program Bitdefender 2016 Total Security is stuck in game mode. I have been unable to go back to autopilot. I do NOT game on my computer and have so far got nothing back from Bitdefender support. It's...
  6. • Feature update to Windows 10, version 1607. Problems

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    • Feature update to Windows 10, version 1607. Problems: My computer keeps telling me I have an update which requires a restart. It is listed as • Feature update to Windows 10, version 1607. (Is this what they are calling the "anniversary update"?) I don't know which build/version I currently have. The problem is, I have tried to...
  7. Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 problems

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 problems: Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3194496) Three days ago my desktop tried to update 1607 3 times. Each time on reboot it says failed to update and reverts. Each day it tries again at shutdown. Yesterday my second(son's) computer...
  8. Updated to 1607 and have taskbar problems

in Windows 10 Support
    Updated to 1607 and have taskbar problems: When I turn on my computer it boots ok and displays the task bar as expected. If I press power, restart the taskbar is empty. If I then shutdown the system and turn the power back on, the taskbar is populated like I expect. I can repeat this sequence and the same thing...
  9. Update to windows 1607

Update to windows 1607: I have a friend in Pougkeepsie, NY who has not gotten the update yet. His system is still at 1511 and he has a digital entitlement license. Over the phone I showed him how to run update through settings and it reports that system is up to date. How in the world do I tell him...
  10. Problems after Feature update to Windows 10, version 1607

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems after Feature update to Windows 10, version 1607: [img] [img] After applying this update I found a number of problems. The most disturbing was that all restore points had been deleted and that system protection had been turned off. I also found that Microsoft Games for Windows 8 v1.2 no longer worked, not even after a...