Windows 10: Windows Update Not Working & Media Creation Tool Fails

Discus and support Windows Update Not Working & Media Creation Tool Fails in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; 2 problems... started when Windows 10 update stopped installing updates. Contacted Microsoft who took over and tried to fix the problem. They tried... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by wings4kites, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Windows Update Not Working & Media Creation Tool Fails

2 problems... started when Windows 10 update stopped installing updates. Contacted Microsoft who took over and tried to fix the problem. They tried doing in-process update using the Media Media Creation Tool and that fails also. The latter stops after starting and shows 'There was a problem running this tool. We are not sure what happened but we're unable to run this software on your PC. Uninstalled Norton Security and tried many other things before they said... Need to erase everything and start over with a fresh install of WIndows10. This was a Windows 10 update from what originally was Windows 7 Pro. Even have valid new Key from Microsoft. Can't create ISO or burn to USB when using Media Creation Tool. Get random errors that are.... 0x800704DD-0x90016 or 0x800706D9-0x90016 or 0x8007043C-0x90016. As for Windows update. If I manually download the specific update and do a manual install, I can get all updates except two to install. The two updates that do not install are Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3135173) - Error 0x800706d9 and ecurity Update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3135782) - Error 0x800706d9. (Seems many other users have problem trying to get these two updates installed also. Any advice or help is appreciated that might keep me from doing a complete reformat and reinstall of Windows 10.

:)

wings4kites, Feb 17, 2016

2. Windows 8.1 to in-place Windows 10 in-place upgrade failed.

While I have been waiting on the download I've been thinking about this media creation tool. My system is a 64 bit system. Hope the media creation tool works on my system & not a reason it may be failing.

Liberty Mom, Feb 17, 2016
  3. BagelBoi Win User
    Windows Media Creation Tool Not Working

I tried to use the media creation tool with my usb to go from 32 bit to 64 bit. Everytime I do this and restart the computer, it just restarts and nothing happens. I even tried to download it, replug the usb and then restart but its the same. I
    looked up videos that say
    "windows 10 is done installing, would you like to restart" but it doesn't say that for me

BagelBoi, Feb 17, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Windows Update Not Working & Media Creation Tool Fails

Hi wings4kites and welcome to Tenforums.

Is Norton still off the machine? Hope so.
    Please also remove any disk monitoring software (i.e. Speccy)
    In Device Manager, right-click all devices and have Windows auto-search for any driver updates.

Then try downloading the ISO from MSTechBench. Right-click, select mount, and run setup.exe.
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

Make sure all external devices are disconnected; only have keyboard, mouse and monitor attached.

Let us know how it goes.

p.s. if unsuccessful, you might try running setup.exe from a clean boot. Oh, and make sure you are in an administrative account.

simrick, Feb 17, 2016
  5. drastikk Win User
    I know this is old, but I wanted to post this for other users having the same problem.

I had the same exact issues you did, same exact error messages. I went down a long line of troubleshooting steps, each running into more error messages. My problem, although seemingly irrelevant (but it wasn't), was that Windows Firewall was disabled in Services. After I enabled it and set it to automatic, all of the other troubleshooting steps (running Windows Install Media Creation Tool) were not only working, but unnecessary, because they all had the same issue in common: they required Windows Firewall to be enabled.

drastikk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows Update Not Working & Media Creation Tool Fails

1. Windows Update Not Working & Media Creation Tool Fails - Similar Threads - Update Working Media

2. Windows media creation tool failing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows media creation tool failing: My windows installation got corrupted, my pc can't boot past motherboard manufacture screen and then restarts. I'm trying to get a recovery media onto a USB stick but when I run the media creation tool I get the error code '0x8007007B - 0xA0018' any help would be amazing,...
  3. Windows media creation tool failing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows media creation tool failing: My windows installation got corrupted, my pc can't boot past motherboard manufacture screen and then restarts. I'm trying to get a recovery media onto a USB stick but when I run the media creation tool I get the error code '0x8007007B - 0xA0018' any help would be amazing,...
  4. Media creation tool failing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Media creation tool failing: I am trying to repair my windows 10 os on another computer but the media creation tool is not working on the current laptop im using it is windows 7 home i already updated it and as well i already used the easy fix it and nothing is working im not sure what to do....
  5. Media creation tool failing

Media creation tool failing: I am trying to repair my windows 10 os on another computer but the media creation tool is not working on the current laptop im using it is windows 7 home i already updated it and as well i already used the easy fix it and nothing is working im not sure what to do....
  6. Media Creation Tool Failed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Media Creation Tool Failed: Lenovo intel optane 256 GB 238 GB SSDLenovo Thinkstation P330Can't install windowsI am thinking its a bad system board, already swapped out the ssd and ram.Windows media creation tool cant even get to the first menu, before it blue screensError codes this things spits...
  7. Media Creation Tool Failed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Media Creation Tool Failed: Lenovo intel optane 256 GB 238 GB SSDLenovo Thinkstation P330Can't install windowsI am thinking its a bad system board, already swapped out the ssd and ram.Windows media creation tool cant even get to the first menu, before it blue screensError codes this things spits...
  8. Media Creation Tool Failed

9. Media Creation Tool fails to complete update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Media Creation Tool fails to complete update: I'm trying to run the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to fix a problem I have with a very long boot time. I have seen many topics regarding "there was a problem running this tool " but in my case I never get this. Instead, the tools looks like it is working properly, but right...
  10. Getting Windows updates fails with media creation tool.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Getting Windows updates fails with media creation tool.: About upgrading to windows 10 operating system with microsoft media creation tool. When the getting updates, process gets to 46% done then it freezes up. The juggle balls still rotate. The system is a Samsung laptop about 5 years old, successfully upgraded from windows 8 to...