Windows 10: Windows Update preventing win10 upgrade

Discus and support Windows Update preventing win10 upgrade in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Toshiba Satelite Originally Vista, Upgraded to Win 7 Pro (32bit) SP1. Celeron Dual Core T3000 @ 1.80GHz 4GB RAM Background A few weeks ago the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by simonb2015, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Windows Update preventing win10 upgrade

Toshiba Satelite
    Originally Vista, Upgraded to Win 7 Pro (32bit) SP1.
    Celeron Dual Core T3000 @ 1.80GHz
    4GB RAM

Background
    A few weeks ago the laptop's power seemed to just 'die' when booting up.
    When handed over to me, I managed to get Startup recovery running.
    That failed reporting Failover & Bad Sector.

After reading online advice, I restored the machine using a backup image on external HDD.
    That worked, and the machine booted fine.
    As a precautionary measure, I disabled windows updates (the online advice mentioned an update might be the cause of problem).

Now, instead of trying to figure out exactly which update might be the issue etc, my plan was simply to upgrade to Win 10, then once activated, do a clean install.
    However, Windows update is being a problem whichever route I want to take.

Windows Update
    First I registered for W10 upgrade.
    Then I checked for updates, in order to install the W10 update.
    Unfortunately, windows update just stuck on 'checking for updates'.
    The progress bar just ran continuously without finding or completing.

So, plan B.
    I used the Media Creation Tool to try and install W10 that way.
    It downloaded media, but then began to check for updates, and yes, it just sat there checking and checking without ever moving on.

Solutions already tried:
    CCClean - files and registry.
    Microsoft Windows Update Repair Tool
    Delete 'Software Distribution' & 'Catroot2' Folders (with stop/start wuauserv/bits)

Hope someone can help with some advice on next steps !?
    As you can tell, I am fully backed up.

Many Thanks

:)

simonb2015, Sep 5, 2015

2. Microsoft 10 Creators Addition

Unless you are a company and you are using the Win10 Enterprise version or you are using WSUS, you don't have any chance of skipping any Windows Updates.

Win10 Enterprise can prevent updates up to 180 day (If I am right, not sure right now)

Win10 Pro can prevent updates up to a month and Win10 Home has no chance of preventing updates.

About your "another device is trying to install the same upgrade to another device on the LAN"... There is no such functionality... Maybe you mean the bandwidth sharing? So if one machine is downloading updates it will share the data with other machines
    in the network to save bandwidth and time for downloading.

If you dont want that, you can deactivate it. I find that function very helpful though.

Alexei Stukov, Sep 5, 2015
  3. How do I stop the Windows 10 update happening?

Did you try restoring the original driver & then hiding the driver update before Windows Update could get around to installing it again?

GWX Control Panel is a free program that you can use to...

• Remove the Get Win10 icon from Notification Area.

• Prevent Windows Update from upgrading your computer to Win10.

• Prevent your computer from downloading Win10 installation files.

• Detect and remove Win10 installation files already downloaded to your computer.

• Optionally monitor your computer for unwanted Win10-related settings and files.

Ultimate Outsider: Using GWX Control Panel to Permanently Remove the 'Get Windows 10' Icon

PA Bear - MS MVP, Sep 5, 2015
  4. Joergi Win User

Windows Update preventing win10 upgrade

Hi Simon and welcome! *Smile

Using the Media Creation Tool also is what I would try to do now. Actually, using the Media Creation Tool, you should even be able to update a PC with Windows 7 without Service Pack 1 and a PC with Windows 8 without Windows 8.1.

If the Media Creation Tool searches for updates anyway (although I don't know why it should do that), then I would make sure that Windows 7 Service Pack 1 is installed. (You have not mentioned, if your backup contains it or not).

With Service Pack 1, you should just be able to upgrade to Windows 10 - there should then not be a need for additional upgrades still inside Windows 7.

Joergi, Sep 5, 2015
  5. Hi Joergi,
    Yes SP1 is applied - according to control panel > system

Unfortunately Media Creation Tool is running on the machine now : Getting Updates - 'Checking for updates'
    In absence of other idea at the moment .... I'm just leaving it like that in desperate hope that it might find something by tomorrow *Sad

simonb2015, Sep 5, 2015
  6. CmmTch Win User
    Hi simonb2015, sorry, but I have a dumb question, is windows updates enabled again? I read through the things you've done and I don't know if those would re-enable windows updates. Again pardon me if you've done that by doing other things you've tried.

Is there any possibility you could restore to a point maybe even before you got the laptop, where you could let windows update upgrade you to W10?

Rather than use the Media Creation Tool you might try downloading the iso, https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/9...-download.html option 1. Then use Rufus Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way to create bootable media, cd or USB then installing from that. Going that route might eliminate the "checking for updates" function and allow you to go ahead and install W10.

Oops, I don't know that clean install from the iso will work until you've upgraded through windows update. Darn, here's another idea, do you have bootable Win7 media you can try repair or reinstall to get to the point of WU working?

CmmTch, Sep 6, 2015
  7. Ok, so some success !
    Here's what I did.

Exited the hanging install process.
    From windows 10: Uninstalled Antivirus. Disconnected internet. Clean boot.
    Then inserted USB with Win 10 install files and ran the startup.exe to begin the upgrade.
    Interestingly enough, when upgrading this way, it does ask you if you want to check for updates or not !?

Once the install was finished, the machine ran fine.
    Until I checked for updates - and then the machine died.
    No HDD light, black screen, no bios, no nothing.
    ...... but that'll be another thread *Smile

Thanks for all the suggestions and interest.
    Hope the final solution to get past upgrades during upgrade will help someone - I just hope you don't have my second issue *Wink

simonb2015, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows Update preventing win10 upgrade

1. Windows Update preventing win10 upgrade - Similar Threads - Update preventing win10

2. Corrupt files prevent WIN10 Home update.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Corrupt files prevent WIN10 Home update.: When I attempt to update WIN10 I receive 'Failed in 1st boot phase, sysprep_specialized" message. I seem to be stuck on WIN10 20H1. How can I fix this problem?...
  3. Corrupt files prevent WIN10 Home update.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Corrupt files prevent WIN10 Home update.: When I attempt to update WIN10 I receive 'Failed in 1st boot phase, sysprep_specialized" message. I seem to be stuck on WIN10 20H1. How can I fix this problem?...
  4. Corrupt files prevent WIN10 Home update.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows Update prevents Win 11 upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Update prevents Win 11 upgrade: My windows update tells me i my PC does not meet the current specs to upgrade. I downloaded the nifty little tool, it tells me i am good to go but windows update persists and therefore i cannot upgrade. What insight can you proivide?...
  6. Windows Update prevents Win 11 upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Update prevents Win 11 upgrade: My windows update tells me i my PC does not meet the current specs to upgrade. I downloaded the nifty little tool, it tells me i am good to go but windows update persists and therefore i cannot upgrade. What insight can you proivide?...
  7. Prevent Win10 Anniversairy Update?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Prevent Win10 Anniversairy Update?: Hello, so i woke up 2days ago with my laptop (Alienware 15r2) in bootloop while not having done anything so i assume windows forced an update on me. While i got the loop fixed, my AZERTY keyboard was changed to QWERTY(no way to change it even when changing the keyboard...
  8. Prevent Win10 from overwriting config.nt on every major upgrade

Prevent Win10 from overwriting config.nt on every major upgrade: Is there a way to prevent WIndows 10 (pro) from overwriting config.nt every time there is a major update (ie creators update, etc)? I have a client who has a highly customized config.nt file required to operate a legacy DOS application. Every time there's a major windows...
  9. Something on my windows 7 partition prevents win10 upgrade or boot

Something on my windows 7 partition prevents win10 upgrade or boot: So I have gone through all the usual hoops I can find on the upgrade issues, mostly based off the one error I have managed to get spit back: 0xC1900101 - 0x20017 This is usually found to be a driver error, but after removing everything possible to no avail I said screw it...
  10. .NET framework prevents shutdown after Win8.1 -> Win10 upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    .NET framework prevents shutdown after Win8.1 -> Win10 upgrade: Since I've upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10, I can't turn off my PC without getting an exception in .NET Framework, and then a message that it is preventing shutdown. Google shows that this problem isn't exactly new and already happened to some people with Win8, but for some...