Windows 10: Windows Update putting up enough of a fight that a Microsoft Agent gave up

Discus and support Windows Update putting up enough of a fight that a Microsoft Agent gave up in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.0) So I've been trying to update my pc for a few months now, and I decided to try to get help on these forums on June... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Dave395PC, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Dave395PC Win User

Windows Update putting up enough of a fight that a Microsoft Agent gave up

Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.0)

So I've been trying to update my pc for a few months now, and I decided to try to get help on these forums on June 24. The last thing the Microsoft agent gave me to try was "performing an in-place repair using the Windows 10 ISO file" on July 19. After posting a response on July 20 telling them the tool didn't work, I got no response and the post was abandoned. Now, on August 26, I figured I should start up a new post in the shadow of the old one try to finally get windows to update. Here's the link to the old post containing all that was done to try to fix my issue.

Error 0x80070422

Windows Update putting up enough of a fight that a Microsoft Agent gave up b09dc194-cf94-4ee5-887f-1a11d441fe2a?upload=true.png

:)

Dave395PC, Aug 26, 2018
  2. skytrails Win User

desktop agent tray error message in windows 10

I tried the following suggestion. When I got to step 4, the list provided no checkmarks to uncheck and the icon for Desktop Agent Tray was a checkmark in a yellow circle. nothing happened when I clicked on the yellow circle with the checkmark. the title
    on the list was Desktop Agent Tray(2) Clicking on the title opened a title beneath the Desktop Agent Tray (2) which did not have the (2)

the publisher of both titles was CenturyLink Inc and the status for the entry with the (2) was enabled and the status of the other entry was blank. Changing the status to disabled did nothing. the Start up impact was listed as high. There was another
    entry under the two Desktop Agent Tray titles There was an icon then Dw20 with a high start up impact. No where was there a place to uncheck or delete. So far the box which lists the error disappears and there seems to be no problem. I just wonder why
    it is there,

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10.

Desktop Tray Agent is a program used by Qwest to update their installer when setting up DSL (Digital Subscribers Line) based connections to computers. I suggest you to follow the steps below and check for the status:

• Press Windows key + R, type msconfig.
    • Go to Startup tab.
    • Click on Open Task Manager.
    • Uncheck Desktop Agent Tray from the list.
    • Click on Apply and OK.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to
    write to us for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

skytrails, Aug 26, 2018
  3. error windows 10 desktop agent tray has stopped working

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10.

Desktop Tray Agent is a program used by Qwest to update their installer when setting up DSL (Digital Subscribers Line) based connections to computers. I suggest you to follow the steps below and check for the status:

• Press Windows key + R, type msconfig.
    • Go to Startup tab.
    • Click on Open Task Manager.
    • Uncheck Desktop Agent Tray from the list.
    • Click on Apply and OK.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to
    write to us for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Aug 26, 2018
  4. Windows Update putting up enough of a fight that a Microsoft Agent gave up

Microsoft Botches Up UEFI Support for Windows 7 on ASUS Motherboards

Windows Update putting up enough of a fight that a Microsoft Agent gave up [​IMG]

Microsoft suggests updating to Windows 10 to patch Windows 7
    • Tweet
    • Facebook
    • Google plus
    • Send to
    9 Comments

MICROSOFT HAS confirmed a potentially lappy-borking problem that it won't be fixing, because Windows 7.

Woody Leonhard, the respected Windows columnist, points to a problem involving Asus motherboards, which also appear rebadged in a variety of other manufacturers' machines, and the activation of UEFI Secure Boot for Windows 7 in a patch KB3133977.

Short version: install update, welcome to Borksville, population you.

Both Asus and Microsoft acknowledged the problem. Microsoft entitled the article "BitLocker can't encrypt drives because of service crashes in svchost.exe process in Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2", but we prefer to just call it "Trevor for brevity."

The firm's advice was that it's an optional update, leave well alone, you'll be fine, or alternatively turn secure boot off.

Then Microsoft did a silly, silly thing.

It moved the update from 'optional' to 'recommended' and anyone who reads this site regularly will know what happens when Microsoft does this. That's right boys and girls - it makes it automatically install, unless you've specifically told your machine not to.

So now, if you have one of the affected motherboard and you keep your security updates automatic like wot Microsoft recommends, then your machine will stop working properly.

We should add it's not permanently bricked, but it will take some mucking about in the BIOS to fix and that's a pain even for an experienced computer user.

Microsoft has, by offering a workaround, suggested heavily that it won't be fixing the problem, though we have asked the question, so expect a response in about a fortnight.

But the real kicker is this piece of advice: "Note The Secure Boot feature is supported in Windows 10. To learn more about the security advantages of this feature and about the upgrade path from Windows 7 to Windows 10, go to the following Windows website"

Holy toledo, this company really knows how to rub people up the wrong way.

After all - if the advice is to manually avoid the update or move to a version of the operating system where there's virtually no control over updates, then Microsoft is dealing in massive contradictions.

A more cynical site would suggest that it's yet another example of Microsoft running Windows 7 into the ground and adding built in obsolescence to encourage quicker updates. But we're not that sort of site.

Its the patching to force secure boot that is the problem win 7 does not support secure boot
    hence it borks systems and well microsofts answer is Cactus >your Asshole > insert

from the inquirer

dorsetknob, Aug 26, 2018
Thema:

Windows Update putting up enough of a fight that a Microsoft Agent gave up

1. Windows Update putting up enough of a fight that a Microsoft Agent gave up - Similar Threads - Update putting enough

2. Microsoft support agent gave me scam phone number

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft support agent gave me scam phone number: I am trying to figure out what just happened. As someone who consider themselves very tech savy, I am not sure if this was a complex scam or what. I typically know how to navigate customer service calls and due to the nature of my job, have had to do this for many years. I...
  3. Microsoft support agent gave me scam phone number

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft support agent gave me scam phone number: I am trying to figure out what just happened. As someone who consider themselves very tech savy, I am not sure if this was a complex scam or what. I typically know how to navigate customer service calls and due to the nature of my job, have had to do this for many years. I...
  4. Microsoft support agent gave me scam phone number

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Up grade gave me a black screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Up grade gave me a black screen: My computer updated to Windows 11 and I now have a black screen. How do I get my home page back in full? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/up-grade-gave-me-a-black-screen/4c46ffc8-6771-491b-9e60-a43faf6f2fe3
  6. Up grade gave me a black screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Up grade gave me a black screen: My computer updated to Windows 11 and I now have a black screen. How do I get my home page back in full? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/up-grade-gave-me-a-black-screen/4c46ffc8-6771-491b-9e60-a43faf6f2fe3
  7. Up grade gave me a black screen

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Old man finally had enough of fighting Flight Simulator.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old man finally had enough of fighting Flight Simulator.: I'm afraid I am 75 and have never played computer games, so my knowledge, about what they offer, how they work, etc is non existent. But, I did fly for many years and computer program in BASIC, Pascal and C++ for a few years. I have never owned or have any idea about Xbox...
  9. My laptop just gave up on me

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My laptop just gave up on me: I have a ThinkPad X1C Gen 6 with 16 GB of RAM. It was working perfectly until today. I turn my laptop on, and everything is crazy slow. My browser’s crashing, Task Manager is crashing, files take too long to transfer, etc. I’ve tried multiple virus scans with Windows...
  10. Seagate free agent back-up not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Seagate free agent back-up not working: Ever since I installed Windows 10 my Seagate Free agent back-up drive doesn't work. When I try to back-up my computer the Seagate manager says there's no drive connected. When I look on the file explorer the Seagate drive shows. but the the Seagate manager still shows no...