Windows 10: Windows Update Stopped Notifying Me

Discus and support Windows Update Stopped Notifying Me in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; About six months after upgrading to W10, Windows Update stopped notifying me in advance about updates. How do I fix this glitch, so I know when to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by gregyurkon, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Windows Update Stopped Notifying Me

About six months after upgrading to W10, Windows Update stopped notifying me in advance about updates. How do I fix this glitch, so I know when to expect extra long reboots?

:)

gregyurkon, Nov 13, 2017
  2. mel479 Win User

6120 has stopped notifying me of new messages!

Hi Everyone,

I have a very frustrating problem with my 15 month old Nokia 6120.

About two weeks ago I went for about 24 hours without receiving a text message, I had been sending plenty and was getting quite frustrated that no one was replying to me! I decided to check my sent items and outbox to make sure my messages had been sending,
    as I passed my inbox I noticed there were about a dozen unread messages in there! I had been receiving messages my phone has just stopped notifying me of them. No sound, no pop up '1 new message', no mailbox icon in the top corner. Nothing.

I have tried turning my phone on and off, taking out the battery and putting it back in, restoring the factory settings and looking through message settings for anything that looks like message settings. All to no avail. There is no change when I change
    profiles, still no message notification. However my calls still come through as usual and I am notified of things like missed calls.

Does anyone know what I can do to fix this? I feel it may be something simple.

Thank you for your help! Anything you have to say will be much appreciated.

mel479, Nov 13, 2017
  3. mccbleue Win User
    6120 has stopped notifying me of new messages!

In this case, make a back-up of your personal data (contacts, messages etc.) either using PC Suite or to memory card, then reformat your phone with the code *#7370# - you will be asked to confirm, then the phone will ask the lock code (12345 if you have
    not set a personal code) and then shut down and restart. This action is similar to formatting a PC's hard drive and reinstalling the operating system, so once finished you sould have a 'new' phone.

Then send a text to your number from another phone to test that notifications are working. After that, restore your personal data and repeat the test. This will rule out corruption in your data affecting the issue. Hopefully, you'll be OK from this point.

mccbleue, Nov 13, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Windows Update Stopped Notifying Me

Hi, you have the Home edition (good your specs are so complete!).
    May not now be possible for Home... see note at end.

Although you don't have the Group Policy Editor it has still been possible to set updates to Notify. But see note at the end- and perhaps your experience confirms this.

It has been possible to do this using Winaero's free tweaker, which is the most convenient (search within it for 'update'), or - you can follow this tutorial (search for Notify) and use the reg file.

Enable or Disable Windows Update Automatic Updates in Windows 10 Windows Update Activation Tutorials

Note however the relevant section of that says it won't work in Home. I have had a couple of people try that and found it worked. It may be that MS has now blocked this on latest builds.

There is this of course:
    Change Active Hours for Windows Update in Windows 10 Windows Update Activation Tutorials

dalchina, Nov 13, 2017
  5. Thx. I have two further questions: Is there a way to test these things without waiting for the next update, and is it possible that Quiet Hours turning itself on might be causing this problem?

gregyurkon, Nov 13, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    In recent weeks with build 1703 I find I get Defender update notifications daily with Notify on- the role of Defender seemed to change somewhat in the CU (I have Avast installed).

So that might be your first indication if it works.. I'd certainly be interested to know if it's possible to set Notify with the FCU Home build, noting the above.

With the anniversary build, even with an update pending, at the end of the active hours period, there was no restart. I've never had an automatic restart.

dalchina, Nov 13, 2017
  7. The REG file didn't work. This morning's surprise update happened during Active Hours, so I'm going to try setting them to a time when I'm asleep, which I think is the opposite of the way you're supposed to set them.

gregyurkon, Nov 14, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

Hi, presumably your clock a.m. and p.m. are the right way round...(!) - correct time zone etc..

If you find active hours doesn't prevent a restart (I've seen it prompt me correctly) you might need to try an in-place upgrade repair install.

And as I commented, I'm not sure Notify with Home is now feasible.

By the way, which Windows build do you have? (Win key + R, winver).

dalchina, Nov 14, 2017
  9. I just got notified about an update, so I must have finally achieved the correct combination of settings.

gregyurkon, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Update Stopped Notifying Me - Similar Threads - Update Stopped Notifying

2. How to Stop Winzip Update Notifier Pop-ups Winzip 24

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to Stop Winzip Update Notifier Pop-ups Winzip 24: Here's how Winzip technical support says to stop the annoying advertising pop-ups. I have Winzip 24 running under Windows 10:1. Open the Windows Task Scheduler. Click on the "Task Scheduler Library" folder icon.2. In the center window scroll down the list of tasks until you...
  3. How to stop Compatibilty Assiatant from notifying me Program No Longer Avaialble

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to stop Compatibilty Assiatant from notifying me Program No Longer Avaialble: After updating to Windows 10 version 1803 every time I power on I get Notification from Compatibility Assistant that Program No Longer Available. Message detail says App was removed from PC because it does not work on this version of Windows. I get the option "X", Learn...
  4. Notify me of a change in WiFi station

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Notify me of a change in WiFi station: When i am outside i use WiFi on my laptop, but when i come home i connect it to the ethernet cable and forget to turn off my WiFi. then people can steal my passwords. Is there a way to remind me that there is a new WiFi station on air or something else? if i will see the...
  5. Notify me of a change in WiFi station

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Notify me of a change in WiFi station: When i am outside i use WiFi on my laptop, but when i come home i connect it to the ethernet cable and forget to turn off my WiFi. then people can steal my passwords. Is there a way to remind me that there is a new WiFi station on air or something else? if i will see the...
  6. How to notify me of a change in WiFi station

in Windows 10 Support
    How to notify me of a change in WiFi station: When i am outside i use WiFi on my laptop, but when i come home i connect it to the ethernet cable and forget to turn off my WiFi. then people can steal my passwords. Is there a way to remind me that there is a new WiFi station on air or something else? if i will see the...
  7. How do I stop win 10 from notifying me about firewall

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How do I stop win 10 from notifying me about firewall: I have a router with At&T Uverse. The documentation on att.com says to disable your desktop firewall because we are behind a N.A.T.S and having more than one firewall will slow you down or conflict. But there is a constant all day reminder that continues to annoy me. I wish I...
  8. How to make W10 Pro Notify me Updates are available?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to make W10 Pro Notify me Updates are available?: I am running W10 Pro build 1709 build 16299.192 and would like it to notify me when updates are available and give me the choice to not download now and not install them until I am ready to do so. I am totally confused by what I read about getting or not getting and...
  9. Windows Update Doesn't Notify Me

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Update Doesn't Notify Me: Last November, or maybe even October, Windows Update stopped notifying me about updates, so I've been checking them manually whenever ESET notifies me about them. The 1511 upgrade didn't correct the situation, and neither did resetting Windows. Is there something I can do to...
  10. Set an alarm in Alarms, and it doesn't notify me.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Set an alarm in Alarms, and it doesn't notify me.: I've been having a problem with Alarms. Every time I set an alarm, it doesn't go off. One time, I set an alarm for 6:00pm and after reboot, it finally when off. Any suggestions? 5343