Windows 10: Windows Update today Set MS Edge as Default PDF App

Discus and support Windows Update today Set MS Edge as Default PDF App in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; One of the updates today set MS Edge as the default app for PDF files. I have Acrobat installed and after the update and reboot, Acrobat asked if if I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Gator5000e, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Windows Update today Set MS Edge as Default PDF App

One of the updates today set MS Edge as the default app for PDF files. I have Acrobat installed and after the update and reboot, Acrobat asked if if I wanted it to be the default program. I didn't realize it had changed. So when I said yes, I got an error that said Acrobat cannot be set as the default app, or something along those lines.

When I went into settings to try to change it there, Edge was shown as the PDF default app. When I tried to change it, Acrobat was listed but it wouldn't change when I clicked on it in the list.

Finally, I went into the Set Default Programs in Control Panel and I set Acrobat as default to open all file types it can open by default. Hopefully that is the correct choice.

If there is some other way to do this, please advise. But maybe this will also help someone else who had this happen.

:)

Gator5000e, Jul 12, 2016

2. Default apps settings getting trashed with auto updates

WYSIWYG.

Apparently Microsoft thinks they know what's best for your computer (e.g., making Edge not only the default browser but also the default PDF reader).

Related:

PA Bear - MS MVP, Jul 12, 2016
  3. Every download resets default apps.

There lots of discusses about Edge hijacking .pdfs.

The only response is to set the default back to Acrobat.

Other articles suggest MS knows about the Edge / .pdf issue and attempt fixes in updates.

I haven't seen anything about wide spread resetting of default apps.

I've got everything reset and running all my downloads through Chrome avoids the issue.

That's a work around.

MS has a known issue for over a year and it still occurs.

John Mount, Jul 12, 2016
  4. AndreTen Win User

Windows Update today Set MS Edge as Default PDF App

Reinstall would also help.

AndreTen, Jul 12, 2016
  5. Reinstall Adobe? If that's what your are suggesting, maybe a repair would work. Great idea. Thanks

Gator5000e, Jul 12, 2016
  6. AndreTen Win User
    Adobe yes. Hope it is reader, not the whole Acrobat. This applications usually have repair options under Program and features too.

AndreTen, Jul 12, 2016
  7. mrgeek Win User
    Before going through all the hassle of reinstalling Acrobat, try R-click a pdf/Open with/Choose another app. If Edge is at top, choose Acrobat, tick box at bottom, "Always use this app to open .pdf files". Even if Acrobat is at top, tick the box just to make sure. Test on any pdf, should be good to go. Good Luck.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html

Windows Update today Set MS Edge as Default PDF App [​IMG]

Windows Update today Set MS Edge as Default PDF App [​IMG]

mrgeek, Jul 13, 2016
  8. Chass Win User

I've upgraded about 30 workstations to Windows 10 over the last two weeks. I have to change the default app to Adobe Reader on all of the workstations. Edge does not work well for printing and view PDF files. I do it exactly the way you did in Set Default Programs for that file type. This will stick.

Good job.

ct

Chass, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Update today Set MS Edge as Default PDF App - Similar Threads - Update today Set

2. Default browser and app for PDFs is set to MS Edge every reboot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Default browser and app for PDFs is set to MS Edge every reboot: Title. This started two days ago. As far as I can tell nothing changed on the machine between Tuesday and Wednesday to make that happen. Changing my default browser every boot is annoying, but at least Firefox prompts to be made default again. It's a HUGE pain with PDFs,...
  3. Preview handler defaults to MS Edge despite Edge not being default PDF viewer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Preview handler defaults to MS Edge despite Edge not being default PDF viewer: I have an issue where the default PDF preview handler that drives the Preview pane in MS explorer as well as in MS outlook, defaults to an MS Edge base preview handler. The only way I know of setting it back is by triggering the set to default .pdf reader within my default...
  4. Preview handler defaults to MS Edge despite Edge not being default PDF viewer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Preview handler defaults to MS Edge despite Edge not being default PDF viewer: I have an issue where the default PDF preview handler that drives the Preview pane in MS explorer as well as in MS outlook, defaults to an MS Edge base preview handler. The only way I know of setting it back is by triggering the set to default .pdf reader within my default...
  5. Preview handler defaults to MS Edge despite Edge not being default PDF viewer

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. Search defaults to MS Edge

in Cortana
    Search defaults to MS Edge: My default browser setting is Firefox but when I choose "search the web" option in search I get a response in the Edge browser. Is there a way to reset this? Thanks in advance for a response. Fred...
  7. MS Edge and PDF printer problems

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    MS Edge and PDF printer problems: Hi, I'm able to print from Excel, Work and Powerpoint on my new Lenovo Yoga laptop to my Brother multi-function printer but whenever I try to print from MS Edge or Print a PDF, I get error message "Your printer has experienced an unexpected configuration problem. 0x8007007e....
  8. change default PDF viewer in MS Edge for PDFs opened by portals

in Microsoft Office and 365
    change default PDF viewer in MS Edge for PDFs opened by portals: My default PDF viewer in MS Edge IS set to Nuance Power PDF Advanced BUT when a portal opens something that will be viewed as a PDF, it is still view in MS Edge. I'm believe I am up-to-date on all updates of all programs/apps. if there is anything else anyone needs to know...
  9. MS edge hijacked today

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    MS edge hijacked today: Today edge was hijacked, message asks me to call number . I know this is a scam so tried to close edge, could not. So I closed with task manager, rebooted. When I opened edge message was still there. HELP, how do I get rid of it and fix my computer? 64658
  10. Today's MS Updates kill apps

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Today's MS Updates kill apps: WUP, KB3038930, KB3040021, KB3021952 and one AMD Radeon HD 5450 installed today. Daum PotPlayer for playing videos, etc., Cyberlink PowerDirector 13 and AudioDirector 5 fail to open now. 4256