Windows 10: Windows update, wait or defer?

Discus and support Windows update, wait or defer? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, I am in the middle of troubleshooting my pc for an issue and I'm wondering should I just let windows update or defer that big 3gig at the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Furall, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Furall Win User

Windows update, wait or defer?

Hello, I am in the middle of troubleshooting my pc for an issue and I'm wondering should I just let windows update or defer that big 3gig at the beginning? I have yet to get a update that didn't give me some errors. If let it update is the best way is there something I'm missing to not get fails and bsod during the update? I'm out of town today and driving so if this has been addressed please forgive me.

:)

Furall, Jan 14, 2018

2. 80240020 wait or not to wait

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for posting. We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience that you are unable to upgrade to Windows 10 with error 80240020 when you try to find for updates, we will help you to resolve this issue.

You may refer to the following threads related to installation errors and check if it helps:

How to: Troubleshoot common Setup and StopErrors during Windows 10
    Installation

Hope this information is helpful. Kindly update the status of this issue, we will be happy to assist you.

Deepika Gowda, Jan 14, 2018
  3. Ibroxbear Win User
    80240020 wait or not to wait

Well I could not wait so I contacted Microsoft. An assistant took remote control of my psc and fixed it in 5 minutes. She added a registry entry which was missing. I have also seen this in the help forums but thought ah the registry. The download started
    immediately and she phoned me back 2 hours later to see how things were going. It took about 4 hours to finally shout eureka in fact it crashed at one point but now it is done. It looks reaĺy sharp and modern.

Ibroxbear, Jan 14, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi- Home or Pro?

What is your current build- and which update or upgrade are you concerned about?

If you wish to set your updates to Notify - i.e. you get an Action Centre notification telling you an update is available, one way is to use Windows Update Minitool (free) and click the Notify button to configure Windows Update. (The option is also one of those available via Group Policy in Pro).

That way you should not be surprised by updates.

Windows update, wait or defer? [​IMG]
    In P

And in Pro I have

Windows update, wait or defer? [​IMG]

dalchina, Jan 14, 2018
  5. Furall Win User
    I have pro. I am not sure of the build. It says the update is 3gb so it might be an older one. I have tried it 3 times and I get errors and even a bsod sometimes.

Furall, Jan 14, 2018
  6. dalchina New Member
    1. What is your current windows build please?
    Windows key + R, winver.

2. Please post a screenshot of your Update History.

I have no definite idea which update you're referring to, I'm afraid... different people get updates at different times, and some have different builds to others.

3. As a matter of routine, please do these checks:
    Download Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) and post a screenshot of its GUI
    To post a screenshot please use the icon above your post to the left of the video icon.

From an admin command prompt:
    chkdsk c: /scan
    SFC /SCANNOW

and advise the results.

dalchina, Jan 14, 2018
  7. Furall Win User
    I'll do it when I get home this evening. Thanks for the help.

Furall, Jan 14, 2018
  8. Furall Win User

Version 1703 Build ( 15063.0)

Furall, Jan 15, 2018
  9. dalchina New Member
    Hi, ok, continue with the rest of my previous post.

Returning to your first question as to whether to upgrade or not whilst troubleshooting... well, this depends on what you're troubleshooting- which we don't know. If it could be fixed by a new Windows installation, for example, (and that is just an example given the context) then again (purely as an example) and in-place upgrade repair install (of 1703 - which keeps all programs, data and most settings- might fix your problem and might solve problems upgrading.(It has been known).

The actions in my previous post might help. It depends what your problem is.

Turning now to resolving upgrade difficulties:
    a. You will find good advice here:
    Trying again- preparation.
    Upgrade to Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials
    Note the guidance in the yellow section and Here's How

e.g.
    - disconnect any unnecessary peripherals
    - disable or uninstall any 3rd party security software (this isn't always necessary, but some is broken by an upgrade, and may cause problems).- try upgrading after a clean boot- check you've at least 20Gb free on C: - more than your Windows folder
    - UEFI firmware settings.
    -
    make sure your BIOS is up to date

What went wrong?

Then see this where many error numbers and messages are listed:
    How to Troubleshoot Common Setup and Stop Errors During Windows - Microsoft Community

and the tutorial above has a link showing log files you can examine

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows update, wait or defer? - Similar Threads - update wait defer

2. Defer feature update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Defer feature update: Hi. My PC has an issue with 21H2 build of Windows, when it's installed my whole PC stutters, even when it's not under a heavy load. I can be watching a youtube video or browsing a webpage and it's as if my PC is skipping whole frames.I've installed the latest updates for all...
  3. Defer feature update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Defer feature update: Hi. My PC has an issue with 21H2 build of Windows, when it's installed my whole PC stutters, even when it's not under a heavy load. I can be watching a youtube video or browsing a webpage and it's as if my PC is skipping whole frames.I've installed the latest updates for all...
  4. Defer feature update

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. About deferring updates

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    About deferring updates: Hey, I recently activated activated the "defer updates" feature but, I was wondering if I enable option 2 in automatic updates through group policy wich will only notify me. Will I download the latest updates regardless of the time range I set to defer the updates if I update...
  6. WUFB Deferred Updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WUFB Deferred Updates: Hi I hope someone can help me, I have rolled out WUFB and as most companies we deferred the Updates in different Deployments Rings. Just so I know what will be installed on client devices is there a method to show all the Updates that will be installed on the local...
  7. Defer Windows Updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Defer Windows Updates: What's the current suggested length of time to defer updates on Windows 10 Pro -- -- feature updates? -- quality updates? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defer-windows-updates/2f3fc815-d936-4d75-a3bb-b77513deb6f3
  8. Deferring Updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Deferring Updates: Hi guys, I apologise if this has been previously discussed but I couldn’t find clarity on the answer we require. We have recently upgraded to the latest creators fall feature update and unfortunately for us it pushed its self through with a restart when one of PCs was on...
  9. Reverse Defer Updates

Reverse Defer Updates: I have seen a lot of threads regarding the "Defer Updates" feature in Windows 10 Pro. After activating this feature by checking the Defer Update box, is there a way to to reverse "Defer Updates" and start receiving all updates again? 40652
  10. Defer updates

Defer updates: Something I just experienced and wondering about how or why it can be this way. I have had 10 on my machine for a month or more now. Just finished upgrading my wife's a couple of hours ago. Identical computers as far as make,model etc. Did a check for updates on mine just...