Windows 10: windows update wanted restart, now no login screen

Discus and support windows update wanted restart, now no login screen in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; this morning a message that windows needed to restart to install an update appeared. I restarted the pc, all went well until the system hung at the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by vega, Apr 12, 2016.

1. vega Win User

windows update wanted restart, now no login screen

this morning a message that windows needed to restart to install an update appeared. I restarted the pc, all went well until the system hung at the splash screen before the login. I have tried powering off and restarting, but I'm still stuck at the splash screen, which changes video resolution twice, has the disk light on solid for about 20 seconds then nothing.

any ideas how to finish the boot?
    thanks in advance

:)

2. All keyboards and Mice no longer work

I used Windows Update to update to the creators update. After it updated i had to restart the computer, after the reboot when in the login screen none of the keyboards or mice I have work now. I'm stuck on the login screen and cant get into the computer
    to check for driver updates

TwistedDruid, Apr 12, 2016
  3. HK1000 Win User
    Window 10 disable lock/login screen

Hi,

I want to disable windows 10 lock/login screen. I have followed the steps by using netplwiz but it doesn't work:

How To Disable Login Screen In Windows 10

The above steps doesn't work I still see login/lock screen after restarting my system. I need to everytime enter my live password to login. I want to disable this. How ???

Thank you.

HK1000, Apr 12, 2016
  4. windows update wanted restart, now no login screen

Vega, turn off your rig and unplug it. If it's a laptop, remove the battery. Hold the power button for one minute and see if it will start properly.

If that doesn't work, restart but hold the shift key down the entire time (Don't tap it repeatedly, just hold it down). That should take you into a trouble-shooting menu.

If that doesn't work, restart while holding down the Shift Button. If you can get to the Power Button in the bottom left, that will give you some Safe Mode options.

And believe it or not, you might solve your problem by starting your computer and walking away. It might just need a while to get the update working properly.

Vince Massi, Apr 12, 2016
  5. vega Win User
    thanks for the reply
    I managed to get to the troubleshooting menu, and selected safe mode, that just gave me a blank screen. next I selected repair startup problems, it said successful, but the system still hangs on the splash screen.

anything else I should try in the troubleshooting menu?

6. davidhk Win User
    Please just briefly describe what do you see on the splash screen.
    Do you have a background picture and a cursor that can be moved around, but no box to enter password ?

If that is what you see, press Ctrl key.

davidhk, Apr 12, 2016
  7. vega Win User
    just the blue screen with the windows logo and the spinner

8. davidhk Win User

Will pressing Ctrl + Alt + Del same time do anything ?

davidhk, Apr 12, 2016
  9. vega Win User
    thanks,
    the mouse and keyboard were unresponsive.

I gave up, and did a restore of an acronis backup, the reason i didn't want to do this is it was pre clean install. the upgrade was giving me a lot of problems so I went and did a reset pc. I spent the entire day yesterday, and about half of the day before reinstalling and configuring software and configuring the system.

thanks again

10. davidhk Win User
    So, you are back in business ?

davidhk, Apr 12, 2016
  11. vega Win User
    yes, and will likely have to do a reset pc, and reinstall everything again ............

for some reason the restored win10 pre reset is running better now than before, strange .........

12. davidhk Win User
    Why do a reset if it is running nicely now ?

Anyway, perhaps you should mark your thread as Solved.
    Thank you.

davidhk, Apr 12, 2016
  13. vega Win User

although windows boots, I'm back at all the issues that led me to a reset which resulted in the original problem, default apps are not sticking, links in programs do not work, links in browsers to pdf files show error 500 .......... its a long list. most likely it has to do with the default apps. the other pc's that I upgraded do not have these symptoms.

I have tried all the fixes for default apps, but nothing sticks past a reboot. I created a new account, no go.
    I'm at a loss as to where to go next, my fear is another reset will once again leave me with an unbootable system.

14. davidhk Win User
    davidhk, Apr 15, 2016
  15. vega Win User
    another fine kettle of fish .......... the media creation tool gets to selecting USB or ISO, either selection gives me the cannot run the media creation tool on this system.

can this be created on one of my other systems and used on this pc?
    thanks

Thema:

1. windows update wanted restart, now no login screen - Similar Threads - update wanted restart

2. want no login screen in home pc. Possible?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    want no login screen in home pc. Possible?: Windows 10 home 1903. I'm setting up this laptop for home use. I do not need a login screen at all. I changed my account password to just an "enter" key but I still get a login screen when I open the lid to restore from sleep. Can I skip the entire login screen since there is...
  3. want no login screen in home pc. Possible?

in Windows 10 Support
    want no login screen in home pc. Possible?: Windows 10 home 1903. I'm setting up this laptop for home use. I do not need a login screen at all. I changed my account password to just an "enter" key but I still get a login screen when I open the lid to restore from sleep. Can I skip the entire login screen since there is...
  4. Windows update is off but it still wants to restart and update?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows update is off but it still wants to restart and update?: I have Windows update disabled in services.msc but I keep getting the pop up on my screen to "restart now or wait an hour". I can shut down without updating but I can't restart or it will update. Last time it tried updating it messed up and had to "undo changes" and I don't...
  5. BSOD and now random restarts with no screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD and now random restarts with no screen: Hello, Desperate need for help, tried turning on game boost in BIOS and tweaking mystic light and iCue RGB settings past weekend, then started getting BSOD after startup. Tried system restore, less frequent BSOD, but upon digging into minidumps to find root, now am getting...
  6. Will windows update and restart itself still from the login screen?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Will windows update and restart itself still from the login screen?: I have an 10 plus year old desktop used strictly for storage on my network. It doesnt have anything but a power cord and cat5 cable. I dont have a monitor to plug it into. So im wondering if updates still download and install and restart from the login screen? (Im aware of...
  7. Windows 10 update on restart and now I can't get past recovery screen and cannot login any...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 update on restart and now I can't get past recovery screen and cannot login any...: Today i restarted my laptop which is a HP with windows 10. When restarting a update launched and it took a long time to perform, longer than i have had before. Since then when i tried to log into my profile it said it cannot launch the profile, so i restarted and it let me...
  8. Windows 10 update now forces login/password. I want it removed

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 update now forces login/password. I want it removed: Hit with another of too many Windows 10 updates. Now I'm saddled with a forced login/password at boot-up. I have (2) profiles in the bottom left corner. I want to delete this hijacking of my pc by removing this forced login/password and the (2) profiles placed on my pc....
  9. No, I don't want to restart and update.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    No, I don't want to restart and update.: I got home today to find my computer stuck on an update that i did not schedule. It did 30% in an hour. Luckly it restarted and i was able to boot Linux, so I can at least get some work done, but I am LIVID. I just wasted an hour of my time. Am i not allowed to have control...
  10. Win10 Creators Update Restart Screen Now Hangs

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Win10 Creators Update Restart Screen Now Hangs: Hi all, Since updating to the Win 10 CU my PC's Restarting screen sits there and won't proceed to the reboot for precisely 65 seconds. I've timed it several times with my watch. In my old install of Anniversary Update it would only take about 5 seconds before it went...