Windows 10: Windows Update- Wireless Turned Off?

Discus and support Windows Update- Wireless Turned Off? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Just upgraded old machine to Win 10. Always keep wireless turned OFF when computer is not in use. A few minutes ago, my hard drive started spinning.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Colormax, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Colormax Win User

Windows Update- Wireless Turned Off?

Just upgraded old machine to Win 10. Always keep wireless turned OFF when computer is not in use.

A few minutes ago, my hard drive started spinning. I looked over and saw "Configuring update for Windows 10" ... 0% complete" ... "Do not turn off your computer."

0% complete now reads 6% complete. Hard drive still spinning.

How is Microsoft able to download updates on to my computer when wireless is turned off?

:)

Colormax, Mar 10, 2018
  2. Kazz913 Win User

Windows 10 Wireless Network Bug "Wi-fi Turned Off"

I've been running into this problem for a little while after a Windows Update on my 4 month old computer. When my computer goes into sleep mode, upon waking the wireless network runs into a bug. The "wifi" setting sets itself to "OFF" and won't allow me
    to turn it back on. I have tried the following to try to fix this error to no avail:

• Updating to the latest drivers of my wireless network device
    • Updating Windows 10 to the most latest version
    • Going into my wireless network advanced settings and Not allowing windows to turn off "wifi" to save power
    • Buying a new wireless device
    • Updating my new wireless device to the latest drivers
    • Disabling and re-enabling my wireless network device
    • Uninstalling all drivers and reinstalling them
    • Unplugging the wireless device and replugging it
    • Looking for a button that toggles wifi (There isn't one)
    • Turning off all power saving mode features within my wireless device setting in Windows Settings

None of these attempts have been able to fix this problem. The only way to get my wireless card access to work again is to turn the computer completely off and reboot. This works only 75% of the time. The other 25% of the time I have to turn the computer
    completely off and reboot around 3 or 4 times. So the best "Fix" I've been able to find is to never allow my computer to go into sleep mode, only problem is... my computer never goes into sleep mode.

I've seen this problem come up back in 2015. But the only answers I was able to find was the list above which as I said, I've already tried.

Anyone happen to have a fix for this?

Moved fromWindows Update- Wireless Turned Off? :(Windows / Windows 10 / Devices & drivers)

Kazz913, Mar 10, 2018
  3. Ray_825 Win User
    Windows 10 Wireless Adapter problems / Compatible Wireless adapters

After the upgrade from 8.1 to W10, no problems at all. Wireless was working fine.

Since W10 updates I also started having dropped wireless connections.

That seems to have fixed itself.

The problem I have now is all local wireless systems, show up with connect automatically turned on.

If I uncheck connect automatically, The check keeps coming back, to connect automatically, I can't stop it, I turn it off, and it turns back on. These available local wireless don't show up on the wireless list, so I can't delete them.

How do I get the automatic wireless connect to stay turned off?

Ray_825, Mar 10, 2018
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forum. Its likley its download when it was upgraded and now doing updates I would turn the net on to ensure you get all the latest security up dates. What version are you running open a cmd prompt type winver

Samuria, Mar 10, 2018
  5. Colormax Win User
    My laptop screen is black. Wont turn on. There's a monitor connected to the laptop. The monitor is on but I have no control over the cursor/wireless mouse.

I knew I shouldn't have dl'd Win 10. Win 10 = total POS.

Colormax, Mar 10, 2018
  6. Samuria Win User
    Give it some time if it doesnt start after 40 mins your only option would be to reboot

Samuria, Mar 10, 2018
  7. Colormax Win User
    Crazy thing is- I just updated Windows 10 three days ago. Took a ton of time dl'ing and installing all of the updates. Now Win 10 is updating again?

Colormax, Mar 10, 2018
  8. Samuria Win User

Its normally a tuesday once a month unless its an important security fix once up to date your ok. What did winver say is it 1709?

Samuria, Mar 10, 2018
  9. Colormax Win User
    Winver 1511 OS Build 10586.1176

Colormax, Mar 10, 2018
  10. Bree New Member
    Where on earth did you download that from???

1511 reached end of service on October 10, 2017 and ceased getting updates at that point. You build 10586.1176 was the last update for 1511 to be delivered through windows update and was also issued on 10th October.

https://support.microsoft.com/help/4041689

If you have an update trying to install now it's almost certainly the 'Features update to Windows 10, version 1709' aka Fall Creators Update - effectively an upgrade to the current version of Windows.

11. Bree New Member
    Presumably the WiFi is ON when you're using it? If so, a features update can have downloaded a bit at a time whenever the WiFi was on. You could also have received KB4023814 which installs and runs the Update Assistant.

https://support.microsoft.com/help/4...stall-the-late

If you saw something like that and did click 'update now' (thinking it's just an ordinary update) then you started the upgrade process to install 1709.

If it had finished downloading the install files then it could quite easily be 'configuring an update for Windows 10' with no further need of an internet connection.

Thema:

1. Windows Update- Wireless Turned Off? - Similar Threads - Update Wireless Turned

2. Wireless capability is turned off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wireless capability is turned off: Hello I am running a windows 10 HP ELITEBOOK 2560p laptop,my WiFi and Bluetooth were working oky until recently I couldn't connect to either a WiFi network or Bluetooth.Upon troubleshooting I get a feedback that wireless capability is turned off.anyone with a suggestion to...
  3. Wireless capability is turned off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wireless capability is turned off: Hello I am running a windows 10 HP ELITEBOOK 2560p laptop,my WiFi and Bluetooth were working oky until recently I couldn't connect to either a WiFi network or Bluetooth.Upon troubleshooting I get a feedback that wireless capability is turned off.anyone with a suggestion to...
  4. Wireless capability is turned off

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. "Wireless capability is turned off"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Wireless capability is turned off": Hello guys,I am currently running a Dell Windows 11 laptop, and every now and then the internet just shuts off and doesn't connect at all. I try to turn it back on via Quick Settings however when i turn it off, it just says "not available" underneath it. I don't really know...
  6. "Wireless capability is turned off"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Wireless capability is turned off": Hello guys,I am currently running a Dell Windows 11 laptop, and every now and then the internet just shuts off and doesn't connect at all. I try to turn it back on via Quick Settings however when i turn it off, it just says "not available" underneath it. I don't really know...
  7. Wireless capability is turned off

Wireless capability is turned off: Even if I manually turn on Wifi, it is no longer recognized. Troubleshooter still shows Wifi needs to be turned on. If I chose to check if that has been resolved, the troubleshooter then shows, wireless capability is turned off. I have done everything possible from Utube to...
  8. Wireless capability is turned off

Wireless capability is turned off: Hi my dell Vostro 3546 laptop with windows 10 is having trouble with its witeless connectivity. The wife toggle button is turning off on its own in few minutes every time i turn it on and it doesnt show the available networks after i turn it on. i have tried all the...
  9. wireless capability turn off

wireless capability turn off: hi teaml .im one of your fellow user on laptop ME laptop model,i have updte it to windows 10 lat month im using wifi and other etc,but from a few days back my brother touch my laptop and i cant turn on wifi whenever i try to switch on wifi i cant use it the thing display was...
  10. wireless device is turned off

in Windows 10 Support
    wireless device is turned off: Guys, I know this is not a Windows related question, but I respect your opinion. So; My Wife's phone: an [Le S3 Lex636] has started saying "wireless device is turned off" when I try to make a call. (Note, I'm not using WiFi here, just making a phone call!) It has also...