Windows 10: Windows updated - Map network drive can't find my computer

Discus and support Windows updated - Map network drive can't find my computer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Got the new update (Build 16299.192), went to map a folder on my computer and Browse for Folder did not list my computer or the Ubuntu computer, only... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by rboppy, Jan 6, 2018.

1. rboppy Win User

Windows updated - Map network drive can't find my computer

Got the new update (Build 16299.192), went to map a folder on my computer and Browse for Folder did not list my computer or the Ubuntu computer, only my wife's is listed. The mapped drives I already have work just fine but if I want to add another folder and they are not showing up.

:)

rboppy, Jan 6, 2018

2. Help WDMyCloud can't be seen in Windows 10 Explorer under Network / Computers.

Hello can anyone help me. I have a new WDMyCloud 2tb (network drive) I can't link to it via any windows 10 machine. My windows 7 machine is fine.

In windows explorer I can't find it under the Network / Computers. I can see all my other PC's but no network drive. This is stopping from mapping the drive and some programs finding things like music and images. I pretty sure its not the drive or the network
    as it can be seen by my windows 7 machine and xbox. Is there a simple fix and I'm just dumb? Or is there a major problem with windows 10 network systems?

Thanks for any help that some one maybe able to give.

Mike

MR MICHAEL SLESNIAK, Jan 6, 2018
  3. LMC1983 Win User
    Windows 10 Z Drive

Apparently this is already a well known issue, but I can't seem to find the appropriate fix ANYWHERE. We have a drive on our network mapped to Z and since we ran a Windows Update on all the computers, our Z drive mapping has gone crazy. Windows is using
    Z to temporarily map FAT32 (some system partition) and I can't get a permanent fix. I am desperate at this point. All machines are running Windows 10 and are HP computers.

Rebooting usually solves the issue, but surely there is a permanent fix somewhere. I tried a "NoDrive" registry fix and that didn't work. I suppose I can uninstall the offending update and go on living my life? Anyone found anything that works permanently?

LMC1983, Jan 6, 2018
  4. Berton Win User

Similar problem, suddenly over last couple of days my NAS drives can't be mapped and File and Printer Sharing won't turn on. They do work fine on other computers with same update.

Berton, Jan 6, 2018
  5. Kbird Win User
    Might be the SMBv1 Uninstalled by Update 1709 issue?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...r-version-1709

It certainly isn't a "friendly" write up that is for sure .....written for IT Pros I think but I found I only needed the SMB1.0 Client re-enabled for things to be fine again after playing with different settings.

T.D.L :
    FCU disables and removes SMBv1 after 15days if it hasn't been used, (eg turning on my old Synology NAS i found I couldn't connect to do a backup), But you can turn it back on in:

Control Panel>Programs and Features>Turn Windows Features on and Off>SMB 1.0/CIFS and checking just the SMB1.0 Client box worked for me.

Once you do this Win10 will no longer disable it automatically as it assumes you need it, if you it turned back on.

AFAIK this issue with SMBv1 was mainly related to WinXP and is not an issue on Win10 , so personally I was not worried about turning it back on.

Or if you need pics ? .....do the reverse of this article
    How to Disable SMBv1 and Protect Your Windows PC From Attack

For Others to try 1st Per Microsoft ..........

Explorer Network Browsing

The Computer Browser service relies on the SMBv1 protocol to populate the Windows Explorer Network node (also known as "Network Neighborhood"). This legacy protocol is long deprecated, doesn't route, and has limited security. Because the service cannot function without SMBv1, it is removed at the same time.

However, if you still have to use the Explorer Network in home and small business workgroup environments to locate Windows-based computers, you can follow these steps on your Windows-based computers that no longer use SMBv1:

• Start the "Function Discovery Provider Host" and "Function Discovery Resource Publication" services, and then set them to Automatic (Delayed Start).
    • When you open Explorer Network, enable network discovery when you are prompted.
    All Windows devices within that subnet that have these settings will now appear in Network for browsing. This uses the WS-DISCOVERY protocol. Contact your other vendors and manufacturers if their devices still don't appear in this browse list after the Windows devices appear. It is possible they have this protocol disabled or that they support only SMBv1.

Note We recommend that you map drives and printers instead of enabling this feature, which still requires searching and browsing for their devices. Mapped resources are easier to locate, require less training, and are safer to use. This is especially true if these resources are provided automatically through Group Policy. An administrator can configure printers for location by methods other than the legacy Computer Browser service by using IP addresses, Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS), Bonjour, mDNS, uPnP, and so on.

Kbird, Jan 6, 2018
  6. sml156 Win User
    I spent a hour or two trying to figure out why I could not see one of my computers, I finally gave up and reminded myself why it is a good idea to give my computers and all devices a static IP either via DHCP or manually set on the device itself.

it's pretty easy to just type in file explorer \\192.168.200.101 or whatever IP of the computer I want to connect to and map the drive that way.

sml156, Jan 6, 2018
  7. rboppy Win User
    Thanks Kbird! Looks like that was the problem, now all computers show up in "Browse for folder".*Thumbs

rboppy, Jan 6, 2018
  8. Kbird Win User

Great News *Smile , thanks for following Up so Others know it works too...

Kbird, Jan 6, 2018
  9. Kbird,

It worked for me, just once. One map. On the second the same problem: nothing happened. And now the service is "ON". Any ideas?
    I´m just trying to map some folders from WD My Cloud. In the past it wasn´t a problem. I´m using a Windows 10 Insider Preview.
    Thanks.

Windows updated - Map network drive can't find my computer [​IMG]

andresantos, Jan 29, 2018
  10. Kbird Win User
    I only have the SMB Client Enabled , I don't think SMB Direct has an effect as I don't seem to have it on all Computers...

I have also set one Computer to be the Browse Master and to Maintain a List of Computers on the Network , use the computer (or NAS if it has the Option) that is always on.... I use an old Laptop which can not be turned off as it is very hard to reboot due to MBoard Issues, Please see the Attached WordPad file for instructions for that.

Master Browser Fix.zip

Windows updated - Map network drive can't find my computer [​IMG]

Kbird, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows updated - Map network drive can't find my computer - Similar Threads - updated Map network

2. Can't connect to mapped network drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't connect to mapped network drive: Can't log into drive on another compter because it changed the user email to a different email with a name to an unkown PC that kind of has the correct name but the username on the other computer does not exist with all the junk in the email. When I remote into the other...
  3. Can't connect to mapped network drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't connect to mapped network drive: Can't log into drive on another compter because it changed the user email to a different email with a name to an unkown PC that kind of has the correct name but the username on the other computer does not exist with all the junk in the email. When I remote into the other...
  4. Can't connect to mapped network drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Unable to find map network drive option

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to find map network drive option: When I click on the 3 dots in the “This PC” folder, map network drive option is not showing up in the drop down. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-find-map-network-drive-option/55645f2a-9e5b-4518-a782-6ed800e8ab19
  6. Unable to find map network drive option

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to find map network drive option: When I click on the 3 dots in the “This PC” folder, map network drive option is not showing up in the drop down. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-find-map-network-drive-option/55645f2a-9e5b-4518-a782-6ed800e8ab19
  7. Can't map network drive on windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't map network drive on windows 11: I am trying following location to map drive using file explorer but even after providing right credentials I get an error of access denied.https://d.docs.live.net/B8**...
  8. Can't map a network drive

Can't map a network drive: I'm having issues mapping a network drive on a computer only with a certain user. If I log on as another user it works fine. Both profiles have admin privileges. I've never seen this happen before...
  9. Can't Map a Network Drive

Can't Map a Network Drive: I have followed instructions on setting up a network drive but I am not able to select a folder. I have network and file sharing turned on. Windows version 1909 (OS Build 18363.900) [img] 159363
  10. can't not see the map network drive in computer

can't not see the map network drive in computer: I have the problem with network drive appearing in the computer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-not-see-the-map-network-drive-in-computer/83ea0731-2190-4513-9b57-3b9820e1c6b5