Windows 10: Windows updates even with metered connection set

Discus and support Windows updates even with metered connection set in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I've been able previously to avoid Windows forced updates at inopportune times on my Windows 10 home by setting my internet connection to metered, by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by rivre, Aug 8, 2018.

1. rivre Win User

Windows updates even with metered connection set

I've been able previously to avoid Windows forced updates at inopportune times on my Windows 10 home by setting my internet connection to metered, by setting:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\DefaultMediaCost

to a value of 2. That prevented Windows from downloading updates unless I check manually.

Since last month that's changed. Now it downloads and installs anyways. I was just in the middle of a backup this afternoon and Windows decided to download updates and run the malicious software removal tool and cumulative updates for July. I don't want that hard disk activity happening at the same time I am doing things like encoding or backups. I always wait a few weeks after each update is released before I manually update, to be sure I don't hear about any major issues with the newest updates.

So now how can I avoid this happening? I am furious with Microsoft for forcing updates on me. At least there used to be a way around it. Now even that doesn't seem to work, since it's updated twice now even though metered connection is set to 2 in the registry.

:)

rivre, Aug 8, 2018
  2. EdTittel Win User

Setting a metered connection for Ethernet?

Please permit me to respectfully disagree, battlezone. Not only is it possible to do this, TenForums offers a tutorial that explains exactly how, step-by-step: Set Ethernet Connection as Metered or Unmetered in Windows 10. Do please check it out, won't you?
    Thanks,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Aug 8, 2018
  3. Try3 Win User
    How to set PDAnet as metered connection?

Andrea,

The Registry changes do not make anything work as metered. They only set the default to metered for new connections. Please see my earlier posts beginning
    - To clear the decks before you start,
    - You don’t like just printing to pdf instead then?
    for the actions I suggest you do.

Check whether the current connection is metered or not at Settings, Network, Status, Change connection properties.

The property is shown for other connections at Settings, Network, {WiFi / Ethernet}, Manage known networks, {select each network in turn}, Properties.

If you want a second opinion to make absolutely sure than go to Settings, Devices.
    In the Bluetooth & other devices page and the Printers & scanners page, make sure that the checkbox for Download over metered connections is clear [unset] and you should see your devices with most of the entries marked with the quite spurious & highly ignorable annotation, "Setup incomplete because of a metered connection". That also demonstrates that the current connection is metered.

When you do run WU, after it has searched online it then displays its list of updates but stops & waits for you to click the Download button before downloading**. This also demonstrates that the connection is metered. Here is an example -

Windows updates even with metered connection set [​IMG]

Oh, by the way, there are updates every day because Windows defender definition updates are part of WU.

** Once in a while you will notice small updates proceeding at this stage before it then settles down with its list of all the others waiting for you to click the Download button. This is normal. These exceptional updates are classified as of special security concern and they are downloaded then installed despite the metered setting. I have hardly ever seen them and those I have seen completed downloading & installing before I could even get my camera out to record the event.

Denis

Try3, Aug 8, 2018
  4. javadth1 Win User

set metered connection is not activate

hi

i want to enable metered connection in ethernet

and i have this error http://uupload.ir/files/vie3_ad63ad.jpg

in this steps

4. step 3)

5. step 3)

6. step 3)

javadth1, Aug 8, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows updates even with metered connection set - Similar Threads - updates metered connection

2. Unable to set connection as "metered"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to set connection as "metered": Problem: I connect to a WiFi network, then I open connection settings and set the connection to metered. When I go back to connection settings, the metered connection toggle switch is in "off state". The problem isn't specific to a connection, I've tried on multiple...
  3. Windows updating even after updates off and network set to metered connection

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows updating even after updates off and network set to metered connection: I saw in my update history that Windows has been updating itself even when I've switched off automatic updates and have set my connection as a metered connection. Though it doesn't reboot automatically but downloads them over the settings. Why is that happening?...
  4. setting up metered connection

setting up metered connection: I cant turn on metered connection on my windows 10.My laptop is connected to a wifi network. metered connection button is visible i cant turn it on . here is a screenshot attached below. [ATTACH]...
  5. Windows 10 Metered Connection settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Metered Connection settings: 1. Metered Connection is Enabled / Disabled individually per WiFi or Ethernet network through Settings > Network & Internet > WiFi (left panel) > WiFi adapters connected to the PC appears on the right panel > Under WiFi adapter (ON) > Manage known networks > click on the WiFi...
  6. Set metered connection as default?

Set metered connection as default?: Hi! Is there away to set metered connections as the default, rather than having to remember to set each new network as metered? (It seems I use a lot of different networks, and as soon as I connect to one that I have forgotten to set as metered - BAM! Windows wrecks my...
  7. Windows updates even with metered conection set

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows updates even with metered conection set: I've been able previously to avoid Windows forced updates at inopportune times on my Windows 10 home by setting my internet connection to metered, by setting: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\DefaultMediaCost to a value of 2. That...
  8. Unable to Set METERED CONNECTION

Unable to Set METERED CONNECTION: Hi, I am using Windows 10 Home insider preview Single Language, with 1803 version, OS Build is 17692.1004 It was updated to this Build on 09/07/2018. After this update I am unable to find an option. I use cellular data which is limited so I always used it as a metered...
  9. Updates on a metered connection.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Updates on a metered connection.: Hello there, I read an article today which said: Windows 10 users will receive "automatic updates without any additional notice." By default, Windows 10 will download, install, and reboot machines automatically when they’re not in use to install the updates. There’s...
  10. set metered connection is not activate

set metered connection is not activate: hi i am trying to active set metered connection in my setting , when i active it and leave setting and return it switched to OFF again i tried this way " netsh wlan set profileparameter name=dlink_DWR-932_6789 cost=fixed " and it shows " Profile "dlink_DWR-932_6789"...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. is it possible to download update on metered connegtion

2. install updates even in metered connection registry key