Windows 10: Windows updates issues - Microsoft: the most appallingly inefficient and incompetent...

Discus and support Windows updates issues - Microsoft: the most appallingly inefficient and incompetent... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Further to several threads which I've contributed to (eg,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by the19ers, Jul 26, 2018.

1. the19ers Win User

Windows updates issues - Microsoft: the most appallingly inefficient and incompetent...

Further to several threads which I've contributed to (eg, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/newest-windows-update-has-screwed-up-my-desktop-pc/1787b999-ad90-4d47-9058-c8ebbd7b76e3) regarding the colossal and vastly time-consuming problems I've had to contend with after Windows 10 updates, this morning I had a call from my boss (who is less than technological). He had logged into the office computer, found that Windows had updated itself and was faced with a screen that said 'Do more with your voice'. Try as he might, he couldn't get very far beyond this screen and was thus unable to access his files/operate the computer normally.

I'm no expert myself, and it's not easy to proffer suggestions when you can't see the screens the other person is looking at. Eventually, howeer, I came upon threads like https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/110361-white-screen-do-more-your-voice-after-microsoft-update.html, which suggested trying something along the lines of "clicking elsewhere on the page which seems to un-grey the accept button - had to do this several times until eventually it disappeared. Absolutely no idea what I've accepted though!".

In conclusion, after about 45 minutes of struggle, the issue was resolved.

How dare Microsoft inflict their buggy problematic updates on us without so much as a by your leave?

Does Microsoft ever listen to ANYONE?

:)

the19ers, Jul 26, 2018

2. New install Windows 10 (issue solved)

It's good that you're not experiencing any issues. Unfortunately many folks are, a quick Google search will show the same info im offering the OP.

Heres a couple examples:

Here

Here

It's basically what I mentioned above, small issues here and there ,but nothing to end your day.. for the most part.

I know it's anecdotal, but for my experience 95% of the time it's perfectly fine. The issues I've run into wouldn't be enough for me to roll back , but they would be enough (had I not installed it yet) ,to avoid it for another couple weeks which is why I'm suggesting it to the OP

Windows 10 Fall Creators Update problems and complaints
    • Installation problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Microsoft Edge problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Drivers problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Experience problems with the Fall Creators Update
    keep in mind, as of recently, the FCU is installed on 5% of devices roughly.....

jboydgolfer, Jul 26, 2018
  3. newtekie1 Win User
    Windows update issues

Came here to suggest this.*Laugh :laugh:

Definitely not an issue with the Windows Servers as I just re-installed yesterday and got all my updates.

newtekie1, Jul 26, 2018
  4. Windows updates issues - Microsoft: the most appallingly inefficient and incompetent...

Microsoft Botches Up UEFI Support for Windows 7 on ASUS Motherboards

Windows updates issues - Microsoft: the most appallingly inefficient and incompetent... [​IMG]

Microsoft suggests updating to Windows 10 to patch Windows 7
    • Tweet
    • Facebook
    • Google plus
    • Send to
    9 Comments

MICROSOFT HAS confirmed a potentially lappy-borking problem that it won't be fixing, because Windows 7.

Woody Leonhard, the respected Windows columnist, points to a problem involving Asus motherboards, which also appear rebadged in a variety of other manufacturers' machines, and the activation of UEFI Secure Boot for Windows 7 in a patch KB3133977.

Short version: install update, welcome to Borksville, population you.

Both Asus and Microsoft acknowledged the problem. Microsoft entitled the article "BitLocker can't encrypt drives because of service crashes in svchost.exe process in Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2", but we prefer to just call it "Trevor for brevity."

The firm's advice was that it's an optional update, leave well alone, you'll be fine, or alternatively turn secure boot off.

Then Microsoft did a silly, silly thing.

It moved the update from 'optional' to 'recommended' and anyone who reads this site regularly will know what happens when Microsoft does this. That's right boys and girls - it makes it automatically install, unless you've specifically told your machine not to.

So now, if you have one of the affected motherboard and you keep your security updates automatic like wot Microsoft recommends, then your machine will stop working properly.

We should add it's not permanently bricked, but it will take some mucking about in the BIOS to fix and that's a pain even for an experienced computer user.

Microsoft has, by offering a workaround, suggested heavily that it won't be fixing the problem, though we have asked the question, so expect a response in about a fortnight.

But the real kicker is this piece of advice: "Note The Secure Boot feature is supported in Windows 10. To learn more about the security advantages of this feature and about the upgrade path from Windows 7 to Windows 10, go to the following Windows website"

Holy toledo, this company really knows how to rub people up the wrong way.

After all - if the advice is to manually avoid the update or move to a version of the operating system where there's virtually no control over updates, then Microsoft is dealing in massive contradictions.

A more cynical site would suggest that it's yet another example of Microsoft running Windows 7 into the ground and adding built in obsolescence to encourage quicker updates. But we're not that sort of site.

Its the patching to force secure boot that is the problem win 7 does not support secure boot
    hence it borks systems and well microsofts answer is Cactus >your Asshole > insert

from the inquirer

dorsetknob, Jul 26, 2018
Thema:

Windows updates issues - Microsoft: the most appallingly inefficient and incompetent...

1. Windows updates issues - Microsoft: the most appallingly inefficient and incompetent... - Similar Threads - updates issues Microsoft

2. Microsoft Rewards Customer Support are Incompetent

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Rewards Customer Support are Incompetent: I have been logging on and completing the tasks each day for Microsoft Rewards and unexpectedly my streak count was reset to 0 even though my streak was unbroken. I have been writing to Support for a resolution and just get nowhere, even offering to give them a screenshot of...
  3. Incompetence

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Incompetence: Mr. Gates: Your employees match all the requirements for the Peter Principle. I had a system board replaced in an HP workstation which rendered the hard drive Bitlocker inoperable. HP told me to call Microsoft with the Bitlocker ID, so I did. After a total of 6 hours on the...
  4. Incompetence

Incompetence: Mr. Gates: Your employees match all the requirements for the Peter Principle. I had a system board replaced in an HP workstation which rendered the hard drive Bitlocker inoperable. HP told me to call Microsoft with the Bitlocker ID, so I did. After a total of 6 hours on the...
  5. Microsoft 11 is horrid!! slow and inefficient

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft 11 is horrid!! slow and inefficient: I hate microsoft 11 it is slow, inefficient, it takes me an hour + longer to do simple tasks, I can't save to a file or save from a file in under 5 minutes.. the program lags, my mouse is jittery and shakes all over the place!!! i want 10 back...i don't have time to use 11! 1...
  6. Microsoft 11 is horrid!! slow and inefficient

Microsoft 11 is horrid!! slow and inefficient: I hate microsoft 11 it is slow, inefficient, it takes me an hour + longer to do simple tasks, I can't save to a file or save from a file in under 5 minutes.. the program lags, my mouse is jittery and shakes all over the place!!! i want 10 back...i don't have time to use 11! 1...
  7. Most Recent Update Issue

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Most Recent Update Issue: Earlier today I had no problem accessing Microsoft products but after an update I cannot. The message received reads as follows: "WINWORD.EXE - Application Error The application was unable to start correctly0xc0000142. Click OK to close application." Please advise how I...
  8. Appalling performance of Windows 10 Update 2004

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Appalling performance of Windows 10 Update 2004: I am just so annoyed by the mediocre performance of your ver 2004 update. I installed it on my Win10 laptop 3 days ago. The laptop no longer remember my Microsoft login and password, my Outlook login password, my gmail account and password. I read that there is a conflict...
  9. Incompetent Microsoft Rep

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Incompetent Microsoft Rep: This is the worse advisor representing Microsoft, and I needed to highlight her name.. She is useless, and reflects badly on the brand. Her name is Dhanalakshmi. She lent no measurable help, and couldn't care less how long she keeps you waiting. what a wasted resource...
  10. Windows incompetence

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows incompetence: just to let you know. Personally and profesionally im switching to apple. Your data mining updates are no longer being tolerated. I am so pissed at you and your stupid system ,i hope you go bankrupt and go hungry. Please change my opinion of you and make a system that does...