Windows 10: Windows Updates problems after Fresh Start

Discus and support Windows Updates problems after Fresh Start in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Running Windows 10 Home Edition (since Fresh Start, it says Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.447). I've just spent hours backing up, opting for Fresh... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by celinego, Jul 27, 2018.

1. celinego Win User

Windows Updates problems after Fresh Start

Running Windows 10 Home Edition (since Fresh Start, it says Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.447).

I've just spent hours backing up, opting for Fresh Restart and selecting the keep nothing option. I was actually intending to do a clean install from a media usb I created ages ago. Anyway, I went for Fresh Start instead. Have spent a few hours since copying things back over (photos, docs), installing Office, McAfee etc.

But now I've checked for Windows Updates and it found five. Took over an hour to download them all BUT it got stuck at 95% of the April 2018 update. So, after looking for options, I restarted the laptop. Since it restarted, none of the updates it did download had installed or were showing in update history.

So I restarted again. Same thing! So it's now spent about an other hour checking for updates again and found the same five. It's now downloading them but I think it was do exactly as before .. ie get stuck at 95% when it's downloading the April 2018 one. I've tried running the Troubleshooter and it just says it's can't identify the problem.

What now please?

PS ... since doing Fresh Start, I thought the laptop would be faster in starting up too, but it actually seems just as slow and I don't mean my internet connection ... but the pc loading up. It's just sooo frustrating to spend this much time and feeling like you're in a worse position than before you did the Fresh Start.

Also, can I still just do a clean install from my USB drive as I have more faith in that than the Fresh Start .... has Fresh Start actually cleaned my Registry completely etc? How would I do that now as the only Recovery option I could find other than Fresh Start was to do so from a disk image, which I don't have?

:)

celinego, Jul 27, 2018
  2. AsRock Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Jul 27, 2018
  3. Windows Update keeps failing!

Yea, that was going to be my next suggestion, if "Safe mode" did not work... I didn't want to scare him just yet.. *Toast :toast: There is a new feature in Windows 8 that will let you go back to a fresh install with just a few clicks. It should help a lot non pro's to start over fresh. *Toast :toast: But this is no help to him.. *Toast :toast:

Mindweaver, Jul 27, 2018
  4. Windows Updates problems after Fresh Start

Windows Fresh Start

What I mean by fresh start is, an option found in Windows Defender Security Center -> Device Performance & Health -> Fresh Star

• Fresh Start: "Start fresh with a clean up to date installation of Windows. This will keep your personal files and some windows settings, and remove some of your apps."
    I proceeded to check the disk through the mentioned instructions but no error was found. Any idea what might be causing the issue?

DiegoOchoa1, Jul 27, 2018
Thema:

Windows Updates problems after Fresh Start

1. Windows Updates problems after Fresh Start - Similar Threads - Updates problems Fresh

2. Why is fresh start disabled after 20H2 update?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Why is fresh start disabled after 20H2 update?: I haven't even tried the fresh start. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-fresh-start-disabled-after-20h2-update/29b38a56-cf92-4008-aed3-dad936ed4337
  3. Problem in giving fresh start

in Windows 10 Customization
    Problem in giving fresh start: I want give my laptop of win 10 pro a fresh start but when I click the additional info, it takes me to the web of MS support.without taking me to get started option. please help.....
  4. Unable to Fresh Start from windows security after 2004 update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to Fresh Start from windows security after 2004 update: After the 2004 update, if I try to fresh start the device through windows security the get started option takes me to the Microsoft help page. submitted by /u/abhinavchandoli [link] [comments]...
  5. windows fresh start

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows fresh start: if I do a fresh start on my computer will it delete the apps and games I downloaded from the internet, steam, epic games and is there a way to choose witch files wont get deleted and will be protected...
  6. Starting Windows fresh

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Starting Windows fresh: I want to reinstall Windows 10 on my computer to solve a problem. I've put the Windows 10 installer on my USB stick. I need to install Windows while removing everything on my Hard Drive. I've tried doing this twice, selecting the 'keep nothing' options both times. But both...
  7. Problem after doing "fresh start" on windows 10 laptop

Problem after doing "fresh start" on windows 10 laptop: After doing a fresh start on a windows 10 laptop and logging in my desktop looks incomplete and I can't open anything. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problem-after-doing-fresh-start-on-windows-10/01b99f7a-0423-48b7-b5ef-80f60ea9f4dc
  8. fresh start windows 10, account sign in after updating password

fresh start windows 10, account sign in after updating password: Windows is asking for current password to complete sign in process. Pin was set up long ago, and password has not been used in some time and I've forgotten it. How do I get past this step?...
  9. Problems getting updates after fresh install, but not with upgrade ?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Problems getting updates after fresh install, but not with upgrade ?: I have installed W10 on one HD via the upgrade method and then managed to get the updates ok. A couple of days later I decided to create a completely new fresh install on another HD. This went in ok but when I try to get the updates for this the whole procedure just 'Hangs'...
  10. Windows start Problem after April update

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows start Problem after April update: Wife's Win10 Home laptop after the update, unable to use the Windows start key or button on keyboard Taskbar is empty except for Task View button. Unable to get to Action center and restored a backup I had in March and same problem again a Digital clock work not load also...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. fix update issues fresh start

2. problem running microsoft freshstart

3. problem after fresh star

4. problems with update fresh start