Windows 10: Windows UWP apps fail to start except one.

Discus and support Windows UWP apps fail to start except one. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; - Hi! I'm Running 1803 and i get this weird error whenever i try to do anything with UWP Related app (Except one: State of Decay 2). It roughly opens... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by xXSWAGNEMITE420YOLOXx, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Windows UWP apps fail to start except one.

- Hi! I'm Running 1803 and i get this weird error whenever i try to do anything with UWP Related app (Except one: State of Decay 2). It roughly opens up an error box stating "File system error -2147219196". I tried to enforce app re-rollout
    Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}
    But since then the error code changed from -2147219196 to -2147219195 and im stuck. Any1 help? Below cap from Event Viewer.

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2018-07-18T22:26:49.914538500Z" />
    <EventRecordID>3303</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>*Redacted*</Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    - <EventData>
    <Data>Microsoft.Photos.exe</Data>
    <Data>2018.18051.17710.0</Data>
    <Data>5b4c53ea</Data>
    <Data>Windows.UI.Xaml.dll</Data>
    <Data>10.0.17134.81</Data>
    <Data>4f4899f8</Data>
    <Data>c000027b</Data>
    <Data>00000000006a4e02</Data>
    <Data>36d4</Data>
    <Data>01d41ee66b4d1fa8</Data>
    <Data>C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.Windows.Photos_2018.18051.17710.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\Microsoft.Photos.exe</Data>
    <Data>C:\Windows\System32\Windows.UI.Xaml.dll</Data>
    <Data>9ca962c9-e5e4-47c2-a9d2-97914b0eb578</Data>
    <Data>Microsoft.Windows.Photos_2018.18051.17710.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe</Data>
    <Data>App</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

:)

xXSWAGNEMITE420YOLOXx, Jul 18, 2018

2. Certain apps are crashing upon start. App reset, re-installation nothing seems to help. Any fixes?

The app in question are as follows:

• Engadget UWP
    • Windows Central UWP
    • CNET (Windows 8 App)
    These were working fine in AU.

I have tried App reset and re-installation from store. Nothing seems to help.

Any suggestions?

Gupta Varun, Jul 18, 2018
  3. Brink Win User
    The path from a desktop app to a Universal Windows Platform (UWP) app

Source: The path from a desktop app to a Universal Windows Platform (UWP) app | Building Apps for Windows

Brink, Jul 18, 2018
  4. Windows UWP apps fail to start except one.

[UWP] all UWP application windows are not displayed anymore after a lot of start/kill of any UWP application

Hello,

This issue seems linked to the Windows Anniversary Update (build 10.0.14393,
    also reproduced on build 14905.rs_prerelease.160811-1739) and the new UWP lifecycle introduced with it, since this issue was not there before.

The test scenario is simple:

1. start any UWP application (in my example the windows calc.exe, the default Windows 10 calculator application)

2. wait 0.5 second

3. kill the same UWP application

4. repeat the 1-2-3 steps 5000 times

This scenario is basically reproducing an automated test environment.

The expected result is that the tested application will always be displayed correctly.

The actual result is that the tested application is not displayed anymore after a various number of loops (between 200 and 800). It looks like it is running in the background since the process can be seen in the task manager.

When the UWP application window can't be displayed, the scope of the issue is much more important: no UWP content can be displayed anymore (Edge browser or Windows settings, etc).

The way to recover from this is to log out from the user session and log in again.

Here is a python script to reproduce the issue:

Is it a known issue ? Any way to work around this (this is blocking our UWP automated testing environment)?

BR

Jean-Marc

Jean-Marc T., Jul 18, 2018
Thema:

Windows UWP apps fail to start except one.

1. Windows UWP apps fail to start except one. - Similar Threads - UWP apps fail

2. Printing in UWP apps fails with security patch KB5008212

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Printing in UWP apps fails with security patch KB5008212: Since patch KB5008212 was installed, printing has stopped working in the UWP app I'm developing. Also the official microsoft samples to print doesn't work either https://github.com/microsoft/windows-universal-samples/tree/main/Samples/Printing. Uninstalling the patch got it...
  3. Printing in UWP apps fails with security patch KB5008212

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Printing in UWP apps fails with security patch KB5008212: Since patch KB5008212 was installed, printing has stopped working in the UWP app I'm developing. Also the official microsoft samples to print doesn't work either https://github.com/microsoft/windows-universal-samples/tree/main/Samples/Printing. Uninstalling the patch got it...
  4. Printing in UWP apps fails with security patch KB5008212

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. No UWP app or Powershell Both, inbuilt and open source one won't start

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No UWP app or Powershell Both, inbuilt and open source one won't start: I don't exactly remember when this issue happened, but has only really become a problem when I tried to install Winget. App Installer didn't start giving me the error, "The app didn't start in time" so I tried to find out how to use Powershell to install the app, but it stays...
  6. No UWP app or Powershell Both, inbuilt and open source one won't start

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No UWP app or Powershell Both, inbuilt and open source one won't start: I don't exactly remember when this issue happened, but has only really become a problem when I tried to install Winget. App Installer didn't start giving me the error, "The app didn't start in time" so I tried to find out how to use Powershell to install the app, but it stays...
  7. Windows UWP apps

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Windows UWP apps: It is 2020, almost 5 years of Windows 10 and Microsoft redesigning the UWP app icons. But still now it icons are disappeared or Disappearing from taskbar. My Question to Microsoft, when you planed for a proper solution of this? as a windows 10 user and lover I am very...
  8. UWP Apps Won't Start/Launch

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    UWP Apps Won't Start/Launch: Hi guys! I have a 2016 i5 with Nvidia GPU Surface Book since launch and it has not given me any trouble until recently. So I first notice that my Photos App is not starting and I started using a third party photo viewer so I don't think it's much of a problem. Just now,...
  9. UWP apps failing.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    UWP apps failing.: So recently, out of the blue, all of the apps that would come from the Microsoft Store stopped being able to boot. (This started happening around two weeks ago) Everything from the Calculator, to the Calendar, to Mail, to Groove Music, to Photos, Xbox Companion, and even the...
  10. Remove all UWP apps except store for new users.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remove all UWP apps except store for new users.: Hi, I would like to remove all the UWP apps except the Microsoft store. I know how to do that and it works perfectly but one question is how can I make that happen for new users? I don't need the extra apps and the other users dont need them either. I have tried looking...