Windows 10: Windows Version Edition Command line?

Discus and support Windows Version Edition Command line? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Guys I'm looking for a way to find the Windows Edition (not only version) such as Home or Pro from Recovery Console command line. "Ver" gives the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by KasperKyd, Feb 12, 2017.

1. KasperKyd Win User

Windows Version Edition Command line?

Guys I'm looking for a way to find the Windows Edition (not only version) such as Home or Pro from Recovery Console command line.

"Ver" gives the version only
    "Systeminfo" command doesn't work in recovery console.

Any other ways?

:)

KasperKyd, Feb 12, 2017
  2. shivajim Win User

The "edit" command not working in windows 10 (@cmd)

The "edit" command not working in windows 10 (@cmd)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393]

(c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\shiva>edit

'edit' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\shiva>

shivajim, Feb 12, 2017
  3. Change Default Image Editor

I haven't updated the tool for recent versions of Windows.

Does modifying "HKCR\SystemFileAssociations\image\edit\command" work for you?

Ramesh Srinivasan, Feb 12, 2017
  4. BRKKAB Win User

You don't need to use a command line to find the version number of Windows 10. Just open Settings, click on System and then click on About. It's in the following 2 lines there:1. Version 2.OS Build

BRKKAB, Feb 12, 2017
  5. strollin Win User
    From the command line enter "winver".

strollin, Feb 12, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Kasper, *Smile

You could use the command in Option 5 of the tutorial below to see what edition of Windows 10 you have from the command line.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...d.html#option5

Brink, Feb 12, 2017
  7. KasperKyd Win User
    Guys I clearly mentioned in "Recovery Console" and non of the suggestions could work there *Smile

KasperKyd, Feb 12, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

You could look for clues in the log files. For example, these commands may help:
    type C:\windows\logs\dism\dism.log | find "OS Version"
    type C:\windows\logs\cbs\cbs.log | find "Loaded"

or...

dir c:\windows\servicing\version

which for me shows:

Code: Directory of c:\windows\servicing\version 26/01/2017 03:09 <DIR> . 26/01/2017 03:09 <DIR> .. 11/01/2017 20:43 <DIR> 10.0.14393.0 26/01/2017 03:09 <DIR> 10.0.14393.350 26/01/2017 03:09 <DIR> 10.0.14393.693 0 File(s) 0 bytes 5 Dir(s) 188,010,721,280 bytes free[/quote]

Edit: For Home vs. Pro, look for the folder 'C:\Program Files\Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection' which AFAIK only exists in Pro.

9. KasperKyd Win User
    I hope you can help me further, I"m trying to find which edition Home or Pro through recovery so I can Install same Windows edition again. I can't find anything about the edition!

Edit: For Home vs. Pro, look for the folder 'C:\Program Files\Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection' which AFAIK only exists in Pro.[/quote]

KasperKyd, Feb 16, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    I know of no easy way from the recovery environment command prompt to get a 'Home or Pro' answer. You can deduce that Pro was installed by looking for folders only installed with Pro. The 'Program Files\Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection' folder is one, 'C:\Windows\BitlockerDiscoveryVolumeContents' is another - there may be more.

Alternatively, use a 3rd-party product key utility that can run in the recovery environment and is capable of recovering the information from another system's drive. Nirsoft's Produkey is one such utility that I have tested successfully.

Copy it to the root of a recovery USB, boot from the USB then run produkey from the command prompt. In its 'Select source' dialog select 'Load the product keys from external Windows directory' and type in the path to the OS on the HDD, in my case D:\Windows. It then (correctly) told me its was 'Windows 10 Home' with a key ending in -8HVX7 (the generic key for 10 Home). The generic key for Pro ends with -3V66T. These and other generic keys you may see are in this post after upgrade windows 10 cannot activate Error code: 0xC004F034

11. NavyLCDR New Member
    Regedit

Look at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\RecoveryEnvironment
    TargetOSDescription parameter

NavyLCDR, Feb 17, 2017
  12. Bree New Member
    @KasperKyd is asking what can be done from a command prompt in the recovery environment, presumably booted from a recovery drive. Regedit can be run, but to find that key from the system on the HDD first you'd have to load a hive from the other system. Instructions to do that are in option four here...
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...a.html#option4
    ...except the one you'd need to load at step 6 would (presumably) be the SOFTWARE file (not SAM as in the instructions).

13. NavyLCDR New Member

OK. How about:

dism /image:c:\ /Get-CurrentEdition

I have a dual boot system. In recovery environment my Windows 10 Pro is on C: drive and Windows 10 Home is on D: drive. The above command works on both (change the C:\ for the image location to match what you need).

Note: there is a space between the \ and /

NavyLCDR, Feb 17, 2017
  14. Bree New Member
    Yes, that works and is probably the easiest method. I've just tried it on two systems, one 64-bit Home the other 32-bit Pro - booted each from a recovery USB. Note that the recovery drive has to be the same 'bits' as the system you want to look at. It reports 'Core' for Home, 'Professional' for Pro.

Thema:

1. Windows Version Edition Command line? - Similar Threads - Version Edition Command

2. Windows Command Line

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Command Line: Mine is a 64 bit operating systemMy question is regarding the command prompt.BackgroundI am using Apache flume technology where i am running a command line argument from flume which is a more command in windows. So we need to the exec to execute the more command. So i am...
  3. Windows Command Line

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Command Line: Mine is a 64 bit operating systemMy question is regarding the command prompt.BackgroundI am using Apache flume technology where i am running a command line argument from flume which is a more command in windows. So we need to the exec to execute the more command. So i am...
  4. Windows Command Line

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows - Power Configuration Powercfg Command-Line Version for editing the value of...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows - Power Configuration Powercfg Command-Line Version for editing the value of...: I am working with this document from Microsoft: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/device-experiences/powercfg-command-line-optionsWorking on unattended stuffs for next Windows 11 so these are a few of stuffs I needed to work with.Powercfg Power...
  6. Windows - Power Configuration Powercfg Command-Line Version for editing the value of...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows - Power Configuration Powercfg Command-Line Version for editing the value of...: I am working with this document from Microsoft: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/device-experiences/powercfg-command-line-optionsWorking on unattended stuffs for next Windows 11 so these are a few of stuffs I needed to work with.Powercfg Power...
  7. Windows - Power Configuration Powercfg Command-Line Version for editing the value of...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Command line commands

in Windows 10 Customization
    Command line commands: I would like to create a shortcut on the desktop using a command in a .bat file. I would like to specify what icon file to use, what program to execute, and the parameters to pass to the program. I have researched MKLINK but I don't think it will do the job. Any...
  9. Windows Command Line version

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Command Line version: Hello, I'm a developer currently developing a CLI. My task right now is to test this CLI in Windows 10, however the full UI weights too much. This in combination of WINGET would be very, very interesting. MS-DOS would be fine in this case. However MS-DOS is too old and...
  10. Windows Command-Line: The Evolution of the Windows Command-Line

in Windows 10 News
    Windows Command-Line: The Evolution of the Windows Command-Line: Welcome to the second post in this "Windows Command-Line" series. In this post we'll discuss some of the background & history behind the Windows Command-Line. Specifically, we’ll explore its humble origins in MS-DOS, to its modern-day incarnation supporting tools like...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. targetosdescription