Windows 10: Windows will not shut down, hibernate or sleep

Discus and support Windows will not shut down, hibernate or sleep in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I had problem dual booting win7 and win10. After many attempts I was able to dual boot. But in the process, I deleted "system reserved" partition.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by homehome, Jun 16, 2015.

1. homehome Win User

Windows will not shut down, hibernate or sleep

I had problem dual booting win7 and win10. After many attempts I was able to dual boot.

But in the process, I deleted "system reserved" partition. So windows want start. I performed start up repair and it solved the problem. After that I reinstalled win7 ultimate which create "system reserved" partition again.

But the problem is hardware wan't shut down, hibernate or sleep. Windows shut down properly, but hardware remains active. I have to hard shut down it by pressing button.

Laptop model: HCL ME ICON L 1015

System Event log:

critical: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

:)

homehome, Jun 16, 2015

2. Screen goes black on new Win10 install

Hi,

Try changing the Power options in your PC and check if it helps:

Shut down, sleep, or hibernate your PC.

Thanks.

Rolando Vil, Jun 16, 2015
  3. Pamal__49 Win User
    Sleep function for windows 10

I followed the power options and sleep was not available. It showed two buttons. One was Power button and gave options of: do nothing, hibernate, shut down, or turn off display. The other button was a sleep button: Options were do nothing, hibernate, or
    turn off display.

Before I upgraded to windows 10 I had a working sleep function that was in the shut down or sign out menu. It now lists only sign out, hibernate, shut down, or restart.

Pamal__49, Jun 16, 2015
  4. batlhilz Win User

well the system even log error is same (code 41 iirc) whenever you press the power-button instead of shutting it via menus. so that doesnt really tell anything but you already said, that you need to use power button to shut the computer down *Smile

batlhilz, Jun 16, 2015
  5. homehome Win User
    When I purchased my laptop the HCL representative told me that it is DOS machine (I don't know what that means).

Deleting "system reserved" partition I think is the main cause.

I don't know what extra information I can give you about my problem.

homehome, Jun 16, 2015
  6. Charlie Win User
    Home
    What build of the 10 TP are you using? I think its a bug in build 10130.

Charlie, Jun 16, 2015
  7. DavidY Win User
    I believe that disabling Fast Startup can help with some dual-boot scenarios, if you haven't already?

When Fast Startup is switched on (which is the default in Windows 8 and 10), a 'shutdown' is actually a form of Hibernation, and so it looks like the OS is still running, which I think cause problems with dual boot.

So if you haven't already, try switching that off.

DavidY, Jun 16, 2015
  8. ramram55 Win User

try this take the battery out and run PC without battery. When shut down PC should power down. Mean time wait for new build or win 10 get release. See what happens then.

ramram55, Jun 16, 2015
  9. badrobot Win User
    My 10130 build is always stuck on that circling dots on shutdown. Sometimes, when I do a reboot it gets stuck on blinking cursor at the top-left corner of the screen. I just use the reset button to get out of it. We need a new build!

badrobot, Jun 16, 2015
  10. mikiep Win User
    Seems there are more than just a few Win10 installs that wont shutdown/sleep/hibernate. I'm one since before the first of the year. If you look around in the insider forums or the feedback app, you'll see many hundreds have this issue.

mikiep, Jun 17, 2015
  11. Insomniac Win User
    The fix for mine was unplugging my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick from the USB port.
    It goes to sleep just fine now. Updating the driver to the latest version did not help. I had to actually unplug it.

Insomniac, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows will not shut down, hibernate or sleep - Similar Threads - shut down hibernate

2. Computer won't sleep, hibernate, nor shut down.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer won't sleep, hibernate, nor shut down.: I encountered a bugcheck, and ever since then, my computer won't sleep, hibernate, nor shut down. Any attempts to pause the operation of the computer shows the login screen after a couple seconds of turning the monitor off.Before the bugcheck, pressing the power button...
  3. Computer shuts down instead of sleep/hibernation.

Computer shuts down instead of sleep/hibernation.: Greetings, everyone! <3 I know there had been threads on this topic, but none of those helped me. Here are my PC specs mind you it's PC, not a laptop: Processor: AMD A6-9500 RADEON R4+5, 8 COMPUTE CORES 2C+6G 3.50 GHz RAM: 4 GB Hard: 120 GB SSD System type: 64-bit...
  4. Hibernation shuts down the PC

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hibernation shuts down the PC: Everytime I click on hibernate, instead of hibernating, it immediately and instantly shuts down the PC and next time I open up, I have to open all apps. It just goes OFF instantly The power plan settings hard disk turn off is set to 0 as advised. This happened after may 2020...
  5. Windows 10 Shutting down after sleep/hibernation

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Shutting down after sleep/hibernation: Hi As far as I can tell, after sleep/hibernation (being left for a long period, usually overnight), I come back ro my PC to find that it has completely shutdown. It is encrypted with a bitlocker password so I suppose if an update is applied overnight then this would be the...
  6. Sleep, Hibernate & Shut down issue

Sleep, Hibernate & Shut down issue: Hello, Recently I had replaced new battery and Hard disk for my laptop(HP Pavilion p045tx notebook, 4th i7, 8 GB/1 TB). Then Changed the OS to windows 10 instead of previous 8.1. Till then, the laptop is facing issues with sleep, hibernate & shut down functions. When I...
  7. HIbernate or shut down?

in Windows 10 Support
    HIbernate or shut down?: I've always had the practice of shutting down my home pc/laptop before going to bed. I always used the hibernate option throughout the day while I"m working on it/them. A lot of my friends had their hard drives crashed and always used the hibernate option. This despite the...
  8. Disable Shut Down, Restart, Sleep, and Hibernate in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Disable Shut Down, Restart, Sleep, and Hibernate in Windows 10: How to: Disable Shut Down, Restart, Sleep, and Hibernate in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Shut Down, Restart, Sleep, and Hibernate in Power Menu in Windows 10 The Power menu in Windows 10 can allow users to restart the PC without having to sign in to Windows....
  9. Sleep vs. Hibernate vs. Shut Down

in Windows 10 Support
    Sleep vs. Hibernate vs. Shut Down: [Note: I am running Windows 10 on the new Retina MacBook via Boot Camp] I've been a Windows user for 20 years so I know the differences between each of these. But in Windows 10 I am experiencing significant battery drains that are not consistent with the performance from...
  10. Windows 10 Shutting Down instead of Sleeping/Hibernating

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Shutting Down instead of Sleeping/Hibernating: So, I recently installed Windows 10 on my laptop ( HP ProBook 440 G2 ), but I've been facing some issues where, after a short period of usage (around 20 minutes and beyond) the OS simply shuts down when I close the lid or manually press the Suspend button, even tho I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hibernate will not shutdown