Windows 10: Windows Will Not Sleep or Shutdown from Start Menu

Discus and support Windows Will Not Sleep or Shutdown from Start Menu in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello! I can't get my PC to go to Sleep, or Shutdown using any of the typically proper methods. When I try to shutdown the PC it starts to shutdown,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by jgilbreath, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Windows Will Not Sleep or Shutdown from Start Menu

Hello! I can't get my PC to go to Sleep, or Shutdown using any of the typically proper methods. When I try to shutdown the PC it starts to shutdown, screen goes black and then wakes back up to the login screen.

I have gone through and disabled all of the devices that might other wise prevent this from happening. I have done the following to try and remedy the issue.
    • Check the powercfg -devicequery wake_armed
      • This returns a NONE after disabling devices from Device Management
    • Ran powercfg -lastwake
      • Wake History Count - 0
    • Opened my Power Options > Multimedia Settings > When sharing media > Setting: Allow the computer to sleep

I have recently completed a clean windows install. One of the changes that I have noticed was that my BIOS now runs in UEFI mode, not Legacy. I'm not sure that this matters or not, but in my BIOS menu, the Boot Manager only list the Windows Boot Manger, not a list of devices.

Thank you any guidance would be appreciated, I would love to be able to Sleep and Shutdown my computer properly again.

:)

jgilbreath, Oct 22, 2017

2. Windows 10: Start Menu Missing Power Option -No Shutdown, Restart, and Sleep Options

To Shutdown Windows 10 from the Start Menu: there is a Grey and white circular icon to the left of Cortana and it

gives you the options of (1) sleep (2) shutdown, and (3) restart Jack Stuart (I am not a tech just a user)

JackStuart1, Oct 22, 2017
  3. Windows 10: Start Menu Missing Power Option -No Shutdown, Restart, and Sleep Options

To Shutdown Windows 10 from the Start Menu: there is a Grey and white circular icon to the left of Cortana and it

gives you the options of (1) sleep (2) shutdown, and (3) restart Jack Stuart (I am not a tech just a user)

JackStuart1, Oct 22, 2017
  4. Windows Will Not Sleep or Shutdown from Start Menu

HI jgilbreath

Could you share when this problem started?

Have any drivers been installed by Windows on your behalf?

Have you tried resetting power plan back to defaults.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Oct 22, 2017
  5. Thanks for the reply, I have listed my answer below inline with your questions.

Thanks again!

jgilbreath, Oct 22, 2017
  6. Have you checked Device Manager, is everything recognized?

You might find that Windows installed a generic driver for something that wants a manufacturer driver. Hard to identify but I would be checking ASRock site. Check if there is an Intel Management Engine and chipset and see what your system is using.

Did Asrock have any special software to manage power? You would have likely seen it as something like ASRock Power plan

Caledon Ken, Oct 22, 2017
  7. Thank you! I was able to solve the issue last night by updating my BIOS.

Before I updated the BIOS I checked the Device Manager and found that nothing was missing, but noticed that much of what was there, were definitely generic drivers. I used ASROCK's motherboard driver software AS APP Store to download and update the motherboard drivers. That alone didn't do the trick, but after updating my BIOS the Sleep and Shutdown are functions are working correctly.

Thank you Caledon Ken for setting me down the right path. Windows 10 is so good about placing default drivers these days that I completely spaced on updating them from the motherboard manufacturer.

Thank you!

jgilbreath, Oct 23, 2017
  8. Windows Will Not Sleep or Shutdown from Start Menu

Excellent and thanks for the kind words. Glad the forum could help you and thanks for posting your solution. It adds to the overall knowledge base within the site.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows Will Not Sleep or Shutdown from Start Menu

1. Windows Will Not Sleep or Shutdown from Start Menu - Similar Threads - Sleep Shutdown Start

2. Shutdown from the start menu perform a reset on the laptop

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Shutdown from the start menu perform a reset on the laptop: Hi I don't know how this problem appear, because I didn't install anything, I didn't update the windows 10 but it has the last updates, I didn't plug any external storage, also I have Kaspersky. When I shutdown from the start menu and from other ways like alt+f4, the laptop...
  3. Shutdown from the start menu perform a reset on the laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shutdown from the start menu perform a reset on the laptop: Hi I don't know how this problem appear, because I didn't install anything, I didn't update the windows 10 but it has the last updates, I didn't plug any external storage, also I have Kaspersky. When I shutdown from the start menu and from other ways like alt+f4, the laptop...
  4. Shutdown from the start menu perform a reset on the laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 does a hard shutdown when I click sleep in the start menu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 does a hard shutdown when I click sleep in the start menu: Hi, I had this issue The other night where I turned off my PC like I do every night, by putting it in sleep mode. However, that night, it seems my PC decided to shut down for apparently no reason. I have an event in event log of me putting it to sleep, then the next event is...
  6. shutdown,sleep,restart is missing in start power menu

shutdown,sleep,restart is missing in start power menu: whenever i click on power button on start menu it shows there are no power option currently available https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shutdownsleeprestart-is-missing-in-start-power/8136bb96-7481-4404-a2c7-649ff62a20dd
  7. Shutdown from the start menu is slower

Shutdown from the start menu is slower: Recently there was an update which now forces the power button in the start menu to create an animation before allowing you to choose between "Sleep", "Shutdown", "Restart". This slows down the shutdown process by a second - not much but very annoying. Before it was:...
  8. windows 10 shutdown from start menu not working

windows 10 shutdown from start menu not working: The shutdown option from the start menu is just straight up not working. Once pressed, it takes a solid 5 minutes for the actual "Shuting down" screen to appear. I've done every conceivable troubleshooting measure possible: chkdsk, sfc/scannow, new RAM, new hard drive, new...
  9. KB4503294 unable to shutdown from start menu

KB4503294 unable to shutdown from start menu: KB4503294 install for Windows 10 version 14393.3053 has lost the options for Sleep, Shutdown, Restart, when clicking start and the power icon. Can still shutdown by right clicking on start or by using ctrl-alt-del....
  10. Shutdown from start menu now restarting

in Windows 10 Support
    Shutdown from start menu now restarting: System is Windows 10 Pro x64, version 1607 build 14393.321. Ever since the latest cumulative update to this build, I find that about half the time that I select Shutdown from the start menu, I actually get a reboot instead. If I use the command line shutdown.exe -s instead,...