Windows 10: Windows will not start after starting windows update

Discus and support Windows will not start after starting windows update in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, This problem is regarding a Dell E6220 laptop. Windows 10 installed. Problem: After a shutdown of the computer it started installing windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Erdinger, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Erdinger Win User

Windows will not start after starting windows update

Hi,
    This problem is regarding a Dell E6220 laptop. Windows 10 installed.

Problem:
    After a shutdown of the computer it started installing windows updates that hadn't been done for a while. It started updating as normal (the percentage was increasing all the time but very slow) so I went to bed when it was about 24% updated. When I got up the next morning the laptop was restarting all the time with a short flash of something for a brief second. Not good to say what it is.. I attached a video of what is happening.

Dell laptop - Google Drive

:)

Erdinger, Feb 17, 2017
  2. John582n Win User

Windows not starting after May update

See if it works in Safe mode

Start Windows 10 Recovery mode using three consecutive power-ups (ie power up, when you see the Windows logo and/or rotating circles, power down by holding down the power button for three seconds). Do this three times - if this works you should see
    Recovery mode.

If that doesn't work, try rapidly pressing F8 as you power up and see if that triggers Recovery screen.

In Recovery mode, get to Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup settings, Restart then select option 4 (Safe mode)

John582n, Feb 17, 2017
  3. Hijo184 Win User
    Windows not starting after May update

Last night Windows 10 updated on my computer and restarted. This morning, I find the splash screen but cannot go the login screen. I removed all USB devices as suggested in a previous post, restarted, and plugged keyboard and mouse back in: nothing. Tried
    with restart: nothing. Tried with different keyboards and mice: nothing. Clock is running but I am unable to go to the login screen. My computer worked just fine. I use an Acer desktop AXC-603G-UW31. No changes in hardware or software prior to the update.

Hijo184, Feb 17, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, suggest (if you have system restore enabled) you try
    a. boot from a Win 10 install disk
    b. navigate to a System Restore prompt

and try that.

Note: the Latitude E6220 is an old laptop (Vista/Win 7) - so could possibly have compatibility issues.
    Is your BIOS up to date?

That said there do seem to be examples running Win 10 e.g.
    Dell Latitude E6220 Intel i5 Dual Core 2500MHz Laptop
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dell-Lati...ra-B/637626156

dalchina, Feb 17, 2017
  5. Erdinger Win User
    Hi,
    I did that but had no restores to choose from. System repair did neither help.
    I also ran chkdsk /r without anything happening afterwards. Running out of options. I have been running win10 on this laptop for some time until it suddenly came up with this error after the latest updates from windows.

Erdinger, Feb 17, 2017
  6. axe0 New Member
    Try sfc/scannow in command prompt and let us know what the result is.

7. dalchina New Member
    To run that offline see
    How to Run the System File Checker (Sfc.exe) Offline in Windows >> Winhelponline

Note: if you're unfamiliar with disk imaging, which we strongly and repeatedly recommend, I suggest you look into using it routinely so you have a good recovery path from many bad situations, relatively quickly and without technical help... even if your disk fails or is affected by ransomware. E.g. Macrium Reflect (free). If you have no images this won't help you now; you need a working system, then create your first image.

dalchina, Feb 18, 2017
  8. RobH2 Win User

I have the same issue. Windows updated a few days ago and since then I can boot.

I get: Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're.....
    'Stop code: SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED'

I can't manage 'Windows Update' (...there is little to manage anyway since the updates are literally forced down our throats) because at the top of the screen it says in RED, "Some settings are managed by your organization." I am the organization. This is a personal/one-user machine.

I create a full image twice a day so I used MR to restore a good image and got back in. Now, Windows 10 10586.753 installs updates every night and I have to do it all over again. I'm in a terminal loop.

I can't utilise a program like "WhoCrashed" because I can't get back in to analyze it. I have to restore an image each time. While I was in a restored image it do perform a 'Restore Point' so I could try that on the next boot failure in 'Troubleshooting.' But once in 'Advanced Options' during the boot repair, under 'Restore' I had no Restore Point listed.

I booted using WinPE and looked around a little but I couldn't find much to see or do there.

I ran SFC and DISM inside a restored image they both came back perfectly fine.

I used the following two lines in 'Safe Mode Command Prompt' during one Advanced Repair attempt but neither correct anything:

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:/windows
    and
    bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

Crash dumps won't help because I can't get to one I don't think.

I'm really stuck. Any suggestions?

RobH2, Feb 18, 2017
  9. axe0 New Member
    Please create a new thread for your problem @RobH2 to make sure your problem gets the attention that is required.

10. Erdinger Win User
    Hi,
    I have now run sfc/scannow.

Result:
    X:\Sources>sfc/scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.

Edit: Changed the volume to c:\> and ran sfc/scannow again. I got the same result as above.

Erdinger, Feb 18, 2017
  11. RobH2 Win User
    Just curious why you requested I start a new thread, which it did. I'm having the same issue as Erdingerand this seems like the appropriate place to discuss this.

RobH2, Feb 18, 2017
  12. axe0 New Member
    Because it often occurs that the suggested things for a OP causes the situation to get worse for others and the one who suggested it for the OP is being blamed for not helping.

13. RobH2 Win User

RobH2, Feb 18, 2017
  14. Erdinger Win User
    Re-posting my comments from some hours ago in case it didn't get noticed. How do i bypass the error with not beeing able to run sfc/ scannow?

"Hi,
    I have now run sfc/scannow.

Result:
    X:\Sources>sfc/scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.

Edit: Changed the volume to c:\> and ran sfc/scannow again. I got the same result as above."

Erdinger, Feb 18, 2017
  15. axe0 New Member
Thema:

1. Windows will not start after starting windows update - Similar Threads - start starting update

2. Windows doesn't start after update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows doesn't start after update: Hello. After update I restarted and the windows wasn't starting, untill an error showed up and it restarted the windows, doing a diagnosis, so after it ended it say it couldn't repair. So I went to advanced settings and try to restore to a point before the update, and as soon...
  3. Windows don't start after update

Windows don't start after update: Hi can someone help me after update this morning my PC doesn't start it goes directly to Automatic Repair but there I cant do anything because is always asking for my password and the say password is not correct....
  4. Cant start windows after update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cant start windows after update: e windows system32 logfiles srt srttrail.txt I am getting this error when im trying to start my windows.. I tried many different thinks but nothing is working for me. Can somebody help here ?...
  5. Windows not starting after latest update

Windows not starting after latest update: So recently my laptop prompted to restart to complete the updates, which I did but after that my windows is not starting or the repair tool is able to fix it. I would share this log file but it won't even boot in safe mode. I've unplugged the external mouse and keyboard as...
  6. Windows not starting after update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows not starting after update: So recently i updated my windows 10 While using it got laggy so i restarted. It keeps showing CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED Cant even enter safe mode. Automatic repair doesnt work. 'Reset this pc' option doesnt work 'uninstall updates' doesnt work I didnt save my files so...
  7. Laptop not starting after windows update

Laptop not starting after windows update: Hi, i shared my screen with tech support yesterday as they assisted me with downloading a version of Windows 10. After it downloaded and did the usual restart.. my computer now wont pass the HP screen and keeps circling with a message that says “Attempting to recover...
  8. Windows does not start after updating

Windows does not start after updating: Every time I apply Windows updates, my laptop does not start and the screen starts to flash. I didn't have this problem until very recently, and I have no idea what caused it....
  9. Windows does not start after update!

Windows does not start after update!: HELP After getting am important update, comp restarted, and now it's stuccoed before the login screen with "preparing to configure windows. Do not turn off your computer" for almost 8 hrs....
  10. Windows not starting after update

Windows not starting after update: Left the pc to update and came back to it stuck on the lenovo starting screen and cant get past it have tried turning off 3 times to get the recovery but that doesnt work have tried making a usb recovery drive and that didnt fix and also tried to install fresh from usb that...