Windows 10: Windows will not update after 10586

Discus and support Windows will not update after 10586 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; When Windows 10 was originally available I managed to update from Windows 7 to Windows 10 - with problems sending me back to Windows 7 several times.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Dawn1937, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Dawn1937 Win User

Windows will not update after 10586

When Windows 10 was originally available I managed to update from Windows 7 to Windows 10 - with problems sending me back to Windows 7 several times.

The windows upgrade assistant says my desktop is on Windows 10 update 10586 and updates up to 15063 are available.
    I have tried to update several times and am continually returned to version 10586.

On clicking on update an update downloads (originally taking over 24 hours to do this - I am in the country on a slow broadband connection).
    Then clicking on install always ends up with a frozen screen at 87%, despite removing printer and any other cables attached.

Can anyone help please?

:)

Dawn1937, Jun 17, 2017

2. Can I have clean installation of Windows 10

I have .ISO file from media tool.

To do a clean install of my windows 10 build 10240 to 10586 'because there a lot of crapware and i cannot recieve windows 10586 from the windows update(it keeps redownloading the update after it reach 25℅ installing)

Den KarlFlores, Jun 17, 2017
  3. EckiS Win User
    Registry Editor Stops In Middle of Search

this is a known issue which was introduced in a Windows update:

Regedit.exe search crashes after upgrade to 10586

basically, regedit can no longer parse registry keys which are too long.

Hopefully, Microsoft is fixing this in a future update.

EckiS, Jun 17, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi,
    Please do a basic check on our disk: download Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) and run that; post a screenshot of its GUI to check your disk. If failure is indicated, do not proceed.
    to post a screenshot please use the Insert Image icon above your post to the left of the video icon

I'm wondering why you are using such an old build- have you had Windows update disabled?

Then:

First
    , I would advise you to take due precautions (this should be something most people do routinely as all regular contributors here do).
    Things can go badly wrong- at any time, not just when upgrading.
    Create (or update if already using it) a disk image to a large enough external drive.
    E.g. Macrium Reflect (free) + its boot disk + external storage for disk image sets - use option Backup, Windows Backup.

With disk images you can
    - recover to a new disk if your disk fails
    - restore to a new PC if if is stolen
    - restore an unbootable PC to a previous working state
    - extract files from the images - a complete backup
    - etc..

Second, to avoid the repeated downloads, and give you control, and also a bootable Win 10 medium - useful for certain types of repairs- please do this:

================= Manual installation ===========
    1. Get the iso file
    Download Windows 10 ISO File Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials
    Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials
    - (or, simpler, a DVD if you have a DVD drive)
    3. When ready, attempt the upgrade
    Upgrade to Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Third: a number of people have found the update failing in this way. Two causes I've noted (many possibilities):
    1. Disable Defender if using it - or uninstall any AV you are using.
    2. Weird partition structures.

Try (1) and then try upgrading again (after you've created the disk image as above).

If no luck:
    Please post a screenshot of Disk Management
    Windows key + X, click Disk Management
    to post a screenshot please use the Insert Image icon above your post to the left of the video icon

dalchina, Jun 17, 2017
  5. Dawn1937 Win User
    Windows will not update after 10586 [​IMG]

Is this OK?

It was set to download automatically, bur when it did ran into problems and kept returning into an earlier version -so maybe it decided for itself that there wasn't any point trying to update!!

You say first create a disk image to an external drive - I don't have one - can it save on something else - I did that on a couple of discs several years ago when I bought this all in one machine.
    Would a 4 G USB flash drive be big enough?

I see I can download Macrium free - does it come with instructions?I looked at Tech radar's 17 step tutorial on how to use Macrium and shuddered....

Just trying to follow your instructions one step at a time

Thanks for trying to help a very silver surfer!

Dawn1937, Jun 17, 2017
  6. AddRAM Win User
    Time for a new drive *Smile Hard Disk Sentinel is a very good program, I`ve been using it for years. If any drive in my system goes below 99% health, it gets pulled. I`m a bit OCD when it comes to my PC *Shock

You need to get more airflow on your hard drive.

Macrium is very easy to use, just take your time with it.

AddRAM, Jun 17, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    Hi, your disk is ok- for now- but as AddRAM says, there is a risk, so needs monitoring.

That emphasises the need for a disk image backup.

My guess is you have no backups- so what will you do when your disk fails? Or your PC becomes unbootable?
    These things happen- I've seen people in tears when they've realised they've lost precious material.

It's also a lot more technically demanding to clean install Windows and all your programs onto a new disk, than to restore a disk image- and it takes a lot more time too.

Macrium is fairly easy to use once you've used it- the concept of disk imaging takes getting used to.
    There are very simple videos on this site.
    Windows 10 instructional videos by Ten Forums members Solved - Page 69 - Windows 10 Forums

To create your first base image, plug in an external disk, launch Macrium, click Backup, click Windows Backup

Thereafter, you create a (smaller, faster) differential image - the changes with respect to the base image.

To restore - you need a base image, or the base image + any differential image.

There's lots of help, guides, videos on Macrium's site.

There are other programs such as Aomei Backupper (and Easeus and Acronis) but most here like Macrium.
    Veeam Endpoint has also been recommended. Veeam and Aomei have a simpler GUI.

Help in Macrium takes you here:
    Macrium Reflect v6 User Guide - KnowledgeBase - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase

Buying disks
    - relatively easy- under £40 for a USB 1Tb hard drive, under £65 for 2Tb as a very rough guide.
    Amazon, Ebay... a shop... other online places.

You will need either a DVD (I assume the creator's build fits on a DVD - not tried yet) or a USB flash drive >4Gb for Windows installation.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows will not update after 10586 - Similar Threads - update 10586

2. Unable to update Windows 10 Build 10586 while keeping files and apps

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to update Windows 10 Build 10586 while keeping files and apps: I have a computer that has been offline for quite awhile. It is still on build 10586. When I run the media creation tool, the options to keep persona files and apps and keep personal files only are grayed out. At the bottom, there is a message that says, "Your files, apps,...
  3. Unable to update Windows 10 Build 10586 while keeping files and apps

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to update Windows 10 Build 10586 while keeping files and apps: I have a computer that has been offline for quite awhile. It is still on build 10586. When I run the media creation tool, the options to keep persona files and apps and keep personal files only are grayed out. At the bottom, there is a message that says, "Your files, apps,...
  4. Cannot update from 10586, v 1511, to 16299, v 1803

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cannot update from 10586, v 1511, to 16299, v 1803: My laptop runs Win10, 10586 and when I boot up I have been getting the message to update. No matter what I do like follow the instructions, use an iso file to update the update fails. Loading, verification and installation seem o.k., but everytime it fails. The error code...
  5. Problem to update windows 10 from 10586, version 1511, 70 16299, version 1803.

Problem to update windows 10 from 10586, version 1511, 70 16299, version 1803.: I have not used my laptop for a while and on boot up I had a message to run some updates. I follow instructions and the download, verification and installation seem to go o.k., but everytime it fails. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get the update to install properly?...
  6. Not Getting November Update 10586

Not Getting November Update 10586: Long story short, my pc is still at build 10240 and whenever i update it on the setting it says up to date. 56971
  7. Windows fails updating from 10240 to 10586

Windows fails updating from 10240 to 10586: Hi guys, here...I'm pretty tech savvy; work at an MSP providing tech support all day. Can't solve this issue on a laptop at home though. When updating my laptop from build 10240 to 10586, I get the following behavior depending on the method: Windows Update - reboots...
  8. Cannot update WIN 10 build 10586 getting error 0x800705b4

Cannot update WIN 10 build 10586 getting error 0x800705b4: I have never been able to run a win 10 update and I would like to get this resolved. My computer is an older Dell Inspiron 546 x64 with 8 gb memory. I know I need a new one but it 's not possible right now *Smile I have done everything I can think of, and read...
  9. App updates not being offered in 10586

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    App updates not being offered in 10586: On my main PC which has been updated with the anniversary build I got app updates for solitaire and sticky notes today. However these same app updates were not offered to our secondary machine which is still on the previous 10586. Are these updates for the latest build only...
  10. Windows 10 Build 1511, 10586 update version fail

Windows 10 Build 1511, 10586 update version fail: Fails to Upgrade to Windows 10 v.1511, 10586 Firstly, I have bought a Laptop which including Windows 10 OEM from factory then I add SSD and Clone HHD which have a licence (all of disk to SSD). After that, I have been trying to up version to be 10586, during updating...