Windows 10: Windows wont boot after fresh install

Discus and support Windows wont boot after fresh install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; PC specs: Gigabyte F2A88XM-D3H AMD A8 APU kingston v300 SSD 120gb WD HDD 1tb I recently built this system for a family member as a low budget... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by NeverLucky, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Windows wont boot after fresh install

PC specs:
    Gigabyte F2A88XM-D3H
    AMD A8 APU
    kingston v300 SSD 120gb
    WD HDD 1tb

I recently built this system for a family member as a low budget media/gaming pc. This was originally setup with windows 10 on the 1tb main drive, so I know everything works.
    Now we decided to put an ssd in as a boot drive, and I cant seem to get it working.

I wasn't able to clone the drive due to inconsistent sector sizes between the drives.

I've finally completed the install on the drive after many failed attempts but when I try to boot from it the message reads "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device"

Ive never had this much trouble with a drive. Anyone have any thoughts??

:)

NeverLucky, Feb 25, 2016
  2. 'Mike P Win User

Windows 10 Inaccessible Boot Device

As long as youre sure it was activated before you hit the wont boot routine.. you could download the iso and make a bootable usb and do a custom install, just delete your system partitions, press the New option, which makes the proper new partitions ,,,,
    fresh install into the big empty partition.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install

I had that wont boot, after running startup repair.. no commands I could run to fix it. Wasted a lot of time trying to repair .. fresh install worked. If you have an image,, that will work too.

'Mike P, Feb 25, 2016
  3. Unable to fresh install windows 10 1703 in UEFI secure boot mode

done all of the above, virus is now gone Windows wont boot after fresh install :) but still wish to proceed with fresh install anyways but it wont boot in UEFI secure boot mode.

Katie_c_1988, Feb 25, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Windows wont boot after fresh install

When you did the Windows 10 install onto the SSD did you have the 1tb HDD connected at the time? If you did, then the install program probably saw the boot files still on the HDD left over from the old Windows 10 and just updated those boot files instead of making new boot files on the SSD. Then when you select the SSD as the boot device in bios, there aren't any boot files on it to boot from.

If that is what happened, I would suggest doing another clean install onto the SSD, with the HDD disconnected this time, wiping all the partitions off the SSD using the custom install options and point the installation to the resulting unallocated space (which should be the entire SSD after you delete all the partitions).

After the clean install, when the SSD boots by itself - then you can reconnect the HDD - just make sure that bios remains set to boot from the SSD.

NavyLCDR, Feb 25, 2016
  5. cereberus Win User
    What tool did you use to clone drive?

Macrium Reflect Free would sort out all sector issues etc.

cereberus, Feb 25, 2016
  6. At this point I had only the ssd and the usb boot media installed during the installation process. I removed all other drives when attempting to boot from the sdd

NeverLucky, Feb 25, 2016
  7. The cloning tool I tried using was mini tool partition wizard. I'll try using macrium reflect

NeverLucky, Feb 25, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

First - make a Macrium Reflect Free Rescue USB/DVD. With only the SSD connected boot the computer from the Macrium Reflect rescue USB/DVD and select the Fix Windows startup utility under the restore menu and try that.

NavyLCDR, Feb 25, 2016
  9. OldMike65 Win User
    If what NavyLCDR suggested does not work, then if you decide to do another Windows Install, do not use the clone feature. Make a complete System Image, instead of the cloning to your new SSD. Then just copy your system image to your new SSD. Using Macrium Reflect. Hopefully NavyLCDR method will work and then you won't have too. *Smile

OldMike65, Feb 25, 2016
  10. Ok, so I created the macrium boot disk. I booted into that, then I tried to fix the startup files without success.

Next i tried to clone the HDD. However when I select the SSD as the destination disk, it can't due to different sector sizes.
    So now I tried using the disk image technique, with the same result.

Is there some way I can fix this? Can the sector size be causing this drive not to boot?

NeverLucky, Feb 25, 2016
  11. Windows wont boot after fresh install [​IMG]

The HDD is 512 and the SSD is 4096

NeverLucky, Feb 25, 2016
  12. While changing settings I noticed that the bios setting for the boot order, lists the HDD as "Windows Boot Manager(drive name)".
    The SSD however isn't listed this way, it just looks like a storage drive. How can I get the bios to see this as a boot drive?

NeverLucky, Feb 26, 2016
  13. Windows wont boot after fresh install

So I have come to the conclusion that there is no way to clone, Or transfer the Image from the HDD.

So I started back from square one,
    I boot to the usb windows media disk
    Delete all partitions
    install windows
    change the bios to boot to the drive
    nothing happens, and it tells me to reboot and install a boot disk.
    I'm out of options.

NeverLucky, Feb 26, 2016
  14. cereberus Win User
    Not yet - I am guessing you have done an mbr install on a UEFI pc or something like that.

Boot from usb stick, and press shift + f10 to get to a command prompt and type following commands

diskpart

list disk

list volume

and cut and paste text to here for us to see what it looks like.

cereberus, Feb 26, 2016
  15. So the partitions look like thisPartition ### Type Size Offset Partition 1 Recovery 450 MB 1024 KB Partition 2 System 260 MB 451 MB Partition 3 Reserved 16 MB 711 MB Partition 4 Primary 109 GB 727 MB

NeverLucky, Mar 1, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows wont boot after fresh install - Similar Threads - wont boot fresh

2. [Solved] Fresh Windows install on SSD with GPT wont Boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    [Solved] Fresh Windows install on SSD with GPT wont Boot: Hello Community This title is found several times in several forums through google. But I didnt found any solution to my problem. ANSWER: Here is the answer to the problem. If you are sure that you did set up the GPT Partitions needed for Windows right or you let Windows...
  3. Fresh Windows install on SSD with GPT wont Boot

Fresh Windows install on SSD with GPT wont Boot: Hello Community This title is found several times in several forums through google. But I didnt found any solution to my problem. First my PC Setup and what I want to do: Motherboard: Z97-K Disks: Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series 125 GB Windows installed Samsung...
  4. freshly build PC wont boot windows Installation from any medium

freshly build PC wont boot windows Installation from any medium: Hi! I just build a new PC and i'm trying to install Windows10. It won't start the installation no matter what i do. if i put in nothing i get the normal message to out in a bootable device and press any key. if i connect an external dvd drive with a windows dvd in. i get...
  5. Boot Loop Even After A Fresh Install

Boot Loop Even After A Fresh Install: Hi Authority, I have been caught up with a bootloop issue since 21st Aug 2020 and haven't been able to solve it yet. I've reached out to the customer support, which was of no help as none of them could help me out rather than just saying "no worries we are there to help...
  6. Windows 10 boot failing after fresh installation

Windows 10 boot failing after fresh installation: So i saw a boot menu that said Choose an operating system [Windows 10 volume 2] [Windows 10 volume 2] and chose the first one after installing windows and its just stuck with this screen made in ms paint from my other computer [ATTACH] Should i choose the second option?...
  7. Windows 10 Fresh Install Wont Work

Windows 10 Fresh Install Wont Work: Hello Community,[IMG][IMG] Today, my computer officially crashed. It is only a little more than a year old, and so i decided to fresh install. I followed the steps that both Microsoft and HP Recommended by inserting the USB into the machine, selecting language and clicking...
  8. Windows 10 booting to BIOS after fresh install?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 booting to BIOS after fresh install?: Just a quick disclaimer: I've used Linux all my life ever since I got my first PC. I've never owned a computer which has had Windows on it for longer than 12 hours. It's very possible that I'm missing something super obvious here and if that's the case I apologise! So...
  9. Windows wont boot after installing

Windows wont boot after installing: I am trying to install a clean install of Windows 10 on my Gateway all-in-one. It wont boot after doing the install. It will restart once, then again and after the second restart, it wont boot. I have been trying for the better part of a year to try to get it to run. Windows...
  10. Windows wont boot after installing linux

Windows wont boot after installing linux: Hello, writing from a phone so will try to keep it as short as possible. My SSD wasnt partitioned, so when I decided to install linux i made a partition from the default one, and installed linux on that newly made partition, after installing Linux (zorinOS), Windows wont...