Windows 10: Windows won't boot, and bitlocker prevents me from doing a restore.

Discus and support Windows won't boot, and bitlocker prevents me from doing a restore. in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hello all, I recently installed a custom windows theme pack and it broke windows explorer. Now whenever I boot my system, I just get a gray screen... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by kcclemo, Jul 29, 2016.

1. kcclemo Win User

Windows won't boot, and bitlocker prevents me from doing a restore.

Hello all,
    I recently installed a custom windows theme pack and it broke windows explorer.

Now whenever I boot my system, I just get a gray screen and I can't do anything, not even start task manager or ctrl+alt+delete.

I tried booting to safe mode with command prompt and that doesn't work either.

I created a restore point just before installing the 3rd-party theme, but when I boot the advanced startup options and choose system restore, it says there are no restore points on the system.

I'm assuming that this is because the system drive is encrypted with Bitlocker.
    Is there an offline way to decrypt the drive so that I can access my restore options once again?

:)

kcclemo, Jul 29, 2016

2. There is a drive saying "system reserved" that wasn't on my computer before

only way to prevent that from happening is partition the disk prior to installing any version of windows beginning with vista

the system reserved partition holds the boot info for bitlocker,

the boot files can't reside on an encrypted partition

Locutus deBorg, Jul 29, 2016
  3. Bitlocker

Does your laptop have a TPM chip? If so, then you won't be prompted for BitLocker key at turn on. It relies on Windows login to prevent people from accessing your machine. The benefit with BitLocker is if someone took the hard drive out of your laptop
    and tried to plug it into another computer they wouldn't be able to access the data as it would be encrypted.

IJustHelping, Jul 29, 2016
  4. Windows won't boot, and bitlocker prevents me from doing a restore.

The easiest solution here would be to remove the disk from the computer and install it in another computer as the second drive. From this other computer, you could then disable/remove bitlocker from this drive. Once you have it removed, you could then put it back in the original computer, boot, and apply your image and or repair the OS as you see fit. Hope this helps.

play2mefish, Jul 29, 2016
Thema:

Windows won't boot, and bitlocker prevents me from doing a restore.

1. Windows won't boot, and bitlocker prevents me from doing a restore. - Similar Threads - won't boot bitlocker

2. Bitlocker prevents modifying/deletion from non-bitlocker drives

in Windows 10 Customization
    Bitlocker prevents modifying/deletion from non-bitlocker drives: I accidentally turned on bitlocker for one drive c: and now I can't modify or delete anything on other drives d:, e:. No "delete" context menu option is available for any files on d: or e: and deleting through the "del" command says "Access denied". I didn't modify the file...
  3. Safemode preventing me from logging in

Safemode preventing me from logging in: After restarting with my laptop set to safe boot minimal, the PIN I normally used did not work. I’ve been using the PIN method for a long time so I’m unable to remember the original password. And it seems I can’t reenable the internet access either. I tried using an...
  4. Windows restore from image won't boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows restore from image won't boot: I have tried to restore my PC running Windows 10H2 from an image made through windows backup. After the restore the pc won't boot. It just does an automatic repair an fails. It fails to boot into safe mode and I can the only get to the recovery console. I have tried...
  5. Cloned/Restored SSD won't boot

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloned/Restored SSD won't boot: Hi, I wanted to migrate entirely from my current boot drive (Samsung 950 EVO m.2 256 GB) to a newly purchased drive that I want to use a my boot drive (Samsung 980 PRO m.2 1TB) I first tried cloning with Macrium Reflect, not realizing the destination drive needed to be...
  6. Bitlocker decrypting, Windows won't boot anymore.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bitlocker decrypting, Windows won't boot anymore.: Hi guy, would like to get everyone help here. For my case, I'm actually run powershell to disable bitlocker and decrypting is in process, until status 22% then I'm shutting down the laptop and bring home to continue. But now problem is at home I try turn on laptop, the...
  7. Blue screen preventing me from doing a clean install

Blue screen preventing me from doing a clean install: In need of help! I deleted some files then all a sudden i got a blue screen. I know i have to do a clean install and have the usb file, but how do i install when this blue screen will not go away?...
  8. How do I prevent windows from serving me ads?

How do I prevent windows from serving me ads?: I need to prevent this from happening: https://i.imgur.com/vnxM3pk.png When I or other users press the windows key and start typing, I'm shown this advertisement for a service I do not want. Is there a way to prevent this? Thanks for the help - Ben...
  9. Windows restore failed and PC won't boot

Windows restore failed and PC won't boot: Hi, I have just come back from a two week holiday and booted up my PC at which point it downloaded a new Windows update, so naturally I rebooted to complete the update installation. Upon rebooting and completed installation, a lot of my programs stopped working, wouldn't...
  10. how do i boot from a restore disc

how do i boot from a restore disc: computer locked up. did a system restore and all my passwords and user changed. how doi dun my recovery disc. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-boot-from-a-restore-disc/6940aa7d-15ea-4fd6-85f8-b1206ac3365c
Tags: