Windows 10: Windows won't boot in UEFI mode, deleted EFI partition.

Discus and support Windows won't boot in UEFI mode, deleted EFI partition. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Actually you are way better off, just unplugging the OLD HDD and doing a clean Installaion of windows 10 on the New SDD then plugin the Old HDD for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by OnePlus, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Kyhi Win User

Windows won't boot in UEFI mode, deleted EFI partition.

Actually you are way better off, just unplugging the OLD HDD and doing a clean Installaion of windows 10 on the New SDD

then plugin the Old HDD for use as a second DATA drive

2. OnePlus Win User

That's probably the best option, because i'm really fed up with this problem now. *Sad It's just a bit difficult to remove the hard drive on this laptop, and very time consuming as well.

OnePlus, Aug 24, 2015
  3. Rudy Mas Win User
    Haven't done this in a while, but can't you just disable the second HDD through the BIOS? Normally, it is set to auto detect, I think. Switching this to Disabled should do the trick. But as I said, haven't done this in a long time.

Rudy Mas, Aug 24, 2015
  4. OnePlus Win User

Haha, i changed the wording of my message since you quoted me. That's a good point, i did think about doing this earlier but almost forgot. I will have a look and see whether there's an option, but unfortunately this is a laptop BIOS and usually they can be quite limited with the functionality. *Sad

OnePlus, Aug 24, 2015
  5. Exactly you are right. I also did the same and installed windows 10 as a clean install and now i am enjoying with uefi native mode. Yes when you create bootable setup in flash drive you use gpt partition scheme for uefi. But before doing to install for the first time either delete the whole hardisk partition from the same wizard where you partitions while installing and create new ones according to ur needs. But what i did when i first saw the screen install now for windows 10. I chose repair this pc and somehow i managed to get into command prompt and used the diskpart program. I am sure you aware of this. In which you just use these 3 commans . List disk . Select disk # . Clean . Convert gpt . These 4 commands convert your partition table from mbr into gpt and that then you exit and install it from the start again as normal. Its that simple

salluhassan, Aug 24, 2015
  6. Does your laptop came with windows 10 oem preinstalled??

7. Kyhi Win User
    Here lies another issue > stop using RUFUS
    MS does not use RUFUS..

MS setup media will boot Legacy and UEFI depending on the PC's Firmware settings
    Most Newer PC's boot UEFI by default

The issue comes from having legacy support enabled in the Firmware and you selecting the WRONG USB boot Mode from the Boot menu

8. OnePlus Win User

Hmm, unfortunately it seems like that could be the case. I had a look in the BIOS for the ability to disable a hard drive or SATA port, but unfortunately nothing was listed. However, i did come across one interesting option and i think it could be of use in this situation:

"Launch EFI shell from filesystem device. Attempts to launch EFI shell application (Shellx64.efi) from one of the available filesystem devices."

I'm curious as to whether this means anything and has potential to help with my issue. What do you think?

OnePlus, Aug 24, 2015
  9. Rudy Mas Win User
    I use RUFUS, because the system I use for creating my bootable media doesn't have UEFI support. So, MS setup media can't detect UEFI when creating the media. That's why I couldn't boot it with my HP ProBook which was set to boot with UEFI.

RUFUS was the only option for me, and I advice to use this to others, because it gives them more control over how to create their media.

Sometimes, you don't have access to a crashed system, and you have to prepare the bootable media on an other system.

BTW, tried all the options I had access to on my first bootable media, but none of them worked. When I created my media with RUFUS, an extra option popped up in the boot menu, which made it possible to boot with my USB stick. *Smile

Rudy Mas, Aug 24, 2015
  10. Rudy Mas Win User
    This could work. I don't have that option in my UEFI, so I can't be sure. I know I tried to boot with an EFI file, through the Boot menu, but that didn't work on my system.

Rudy Mas, Aug 24, 2015
  11. Kyhi Win User
    that shell is BOOTMGR.efi

12. I am also using uefi native mode in my hp probook 450 g2 notebook pc

13. OnePlus Win User

Excellent news, it worked fine once i did this! There was quite a delay because i had to wait for the Windows image to download, but once i attempted booting the USB with the drive set up in Rufus strictly for UEFI systems only, it worked fine.

Thanks for suggesting the fix and i must apologise for not believing this would work at first, haha. Cheers to everyone else who had responded in an effort to help out, it is much appreciated. *Smile

OnePlus, Aug 24, 2015
  14. Rudy Mas Win User
    No problem. As you have guessed, I'm a very patient person.

And I'm glad it worked for you. Now have fun with Windows 10. I know I'm having a lot of fun with it! *Smile

Rudy Mas, Aug 24, 2015
  15. Credit goes to me too . I always emphasize the use of rufus.. actually you also have the option of "customized boot" in the bios too in case hp brand who hard core define the unique path of boot manager but you can define by yourself in case you wanna use linux and set the path and adjust the boot device order...so all is good for now

salluhassan, Aug 25, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows won't boot in UEFI mode, deleted EFI partition. - Similar Threads - won't boot UEFI

2. Installing UEFI or EFI windows 10 is much complicated if once EFI partition deleted.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing UEFI or EFI windows 10 is much complicated if once EFI partition deleted.: There were some errors on old windows 10, the time I was working to fix the errors using Recovery mode Command Prompt I used command 'Clean' on windows disk I was to plan a new install.I was unaware about the problems if once the EFI partition is deleted this is going very...
  3. Installing UEFI or EFI windows 10 is much complicated if once EFI partition deleted.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installing UEFI or EFI windows 10 is much complicated if once EFI partition deleted.: There were some errors on old windows 10, the time I was working to fix the errors using Recovery mode Command Prompt I used command 'Clean' on windows disk I was to plan a new install.I was unaware about the problems if once the EFI partition is deleted this is going very...
  4. Installing UEFI or EFI windows 10 is much complicated if once EFI partition deleted.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. UEFI Can't locate /efi/boot/BootX64.efi

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UEFI Can't locate /efi/boot/BootX64.efi: Hi everyone, Thanks for helping...I try to install a new PC HP Pro Tower 290 G9 - RAM 8 GB with Windows 10 64 bit... I created with Rufus from ISO file a bootable USB GPT - UEFI - NTFS 4096 bytes as Cluster size.Rufus created 2 partitions : one with 4.3 GB of folders and...
  6. UEFI Can't locate /efi/boot/BootX64.efi

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    UEFI Can't locate /efi/boot/BootX64.efi: Hi everyone, Thanks for helping...I try to install a new PC HP Pro Tower 290 G9 - RAM 8 GB with Windows 10 64 bit... I created with Rufus from ISO file a bootable USB GPT - UEFI - NTFS 4096 bytes as Cluster size.Rufus created 2 partitions : one with 4.3 GB of folders and...
  7. UEFI Can't locate /efi/boot/BootX64.efi

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Deleted boot partitions, creating new EFI partition failed, next steps?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Deleted boot partitions, creating new EFI partition failed, next steps?: I have a few different drives in my computer, and recently installed Linux Mint (an OS I have used quite a bit) onto an nVme drive I salved from my Surface Pro 4 (dog ate it...). Anyway, for a while I've had a weird issue when starting Windows, where it would give me two...
  9. EFI partition deleted

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    EFI partition deleted: While installing a different OS. My EFI partition was wiped and set as unallocated space. I booted up a linux live cd and partitioned the unallocated space, formatting it back to FAT32. I was able to restore grub and boot into my linux distro. Now I want to restore windows'...
  10. EFI partition deleted

in Windows 10 Support
    EFI partition deleted: While installing a different OS. My EFI partition was wiped and set as unallocated space. I booted up a linux live cd and partitioned the unallocated space, formatting it back to FAT32. I was able to restore grub and boot into my linux distro. Now I want to restore windows'...