Windows 10: Windows won't recognize my usb 3.0 external HDD

Discus and support Windows won't recognize my usb 3.0 external HDD in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I have 1TB transcend USB 3.0 external HDD. Windows did recognized it but no more. Here is what I've tried: Different OS: Ubuntu doesn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by rypz79, Jun 15, 2017.

1. rypz79 Win User

Windows won't recognize my usb 3.0 external HDD

Hi,

I have 1TB transcend USB 3.0 external HDD.
    Windows did recognized it but no more.

Here is what I've tried:

My PC is HP Spectre x360 4003dx.
    I'm kinda of clueless right now.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Roey

:)

rypz79, Jun 15, 2017

2. will windows 10 recognize a usb 5.25 inch drive

Hi,

I realize that you want to know if USB 5.25 inch drive is recognized on the PC. I will try to help you with this issue.

I would like to let you know that as the size of the HDD does not matter as long as it has the USB cable connected to the PC. When the USB cable either 2.0 or 3.0 is plugged in then Windows 10 PC will for sure recognize the
    external HDD.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Thank you.

Srimadhwa B, Jun 15, 2017
  3. several issues

1. Windows won't recognize my WD SES USB 3.0 external hard drive

2. I want to back to Windows 8 but I'm outside of the 30 day limit

3. I need the menu bar for IE 11

Thanks for your help

allthegood, Jun 15, 2017
  4. TV2
    TV2 Win User

Often when an external hard drive can't be recognized on a certain PC, but can on others, the problem has to do with power. The problem PC does not put out the power needed on the USB line.

One of the least expensive solutions to this problem is a Y-connector USB cable. This cable allows you to plug into 2 USB ports on the PC that go into 1 USB port on the external drive. One of the PC port USB connectors has only power pins, so you can double the power to the drive.

If this is the problem, it is caused because either the external drive manufacturer is not adhering to the strict USB specs, or there is under-spec power being delivered by the PC (common on laptops), or simply a bad cable.

5. rypz79 Win User
    Yap it was the cable. How trivial though it was the original one...
    TV2 thanks for the explanation and support.

Best
    Roey

rypz79, Jun 15, 2017
  6. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    The least expensive option. Nice!

Thema:

1. Windows won't recognize my usb 3.0 external HDD - Similar Threads - won't recognize usb

2. PC won't recognise external USB HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC won't recognise external USB HDD: I had a windows 10 PC which failed to boot from an SSD CPU or MB issue . 2 HDDs were installed but used only for data. Now I replaced it with an Acer TC-1660 with Windows 11. I'm trying to transfer the data from the old HDD to the new PC. I attach the HDD Seagate ST 1000DM003...
  3. PC won't recognise external USB HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC won't recognise external USB HDD: I had a windows 10 PC which failed to boot from an SSD CPU or MB issue . 2 HDDs were installed but used only for data. Now I replaced it with an Acer TC-1660 with Windows 11. I'm trying to transfer the data from the old HDD to the new PC. I attach the HDD Seagate ST 1000DM003...
  4. Windows can't recognize external HDD on USB-C port

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows can't recognize external HDD on USB-C port: Hi community. My machine is Dell XPS 9560 (windows 10 2009), and it seems a problem in this model, but I hope tenforums can help me troubleshoot it. I am having an external HDD with USBC - micro-B cable. The specs document of XPS 9560 shows that the USB-C port supports...
  5. External HDD/USB.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External HDD/USB.: Hello. I have an external HDD docking station connected to my PC thru USB. Devine manager sees it. But Windows explorer does not. Suggestions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hddusb/b0404c2e-056a-4c66-b461-1e5113dc9275
  6. Windows 10 doesn't recognize external hdd

Windows 10 doesn't recognize external hdd: I have a hdd that I took from my old laptop, and I'm trying to use it as an external hard drive for my new one, but it doesn't recognize it. I'm using a SATA III to USB-C adapter, I can feel and hear it spinning, but after like 15 seconds it stops. [ATTACH] This is what...
  7. External HDD is FAT32 but recognized as RAW?

External HDD is FAT32 but recognized as RAW?: Hello, I don't know if this is the right place to ask for help but I would appreciate it if someone could tell me what to do! Yesterday, all of a sudden, my external HDD (ADATA HV300) stopped working... At first it would completely freeze the File Explorer on Windows 10 and...
  8. USB port will only recognize external HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB port will only recognize external HDD: Alright, I'm struggling with this one, all of my searching only gives problems where people cannot get their external hard drive to show up, but I have the opposite problem. After plugging in an external HDD, then removing it (I "safely remove"ed it, which i think is...
  9. External SSD recognized as HDD in Windows 10

External SSD recognized as HDD in Windows 10: As already someone asked years ago (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-ssd-not-recognized-as-ssd-in-windows-10/70716cb4-34a8-475c-8267-c4a5669beeeb) without any positive fix, I'm here to do the same question again. Why my windows 10 pro x64...
  10. Why won't my windows 10 64 bit laptop recognize my external HDD

Why won't my windows 10 64 bit laptop recognize my external HDD: Why won't my windows 10 64 bit laptop recognize my external HDD? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-wont-my-windows-10-64-bit-laptop-recognize-my/b665dc1b-5dff-4cb5-adf7-9fca53ebb682

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows wont recognize my usb