Windows 10: Windows won't start after removing previous windows installation

Discus and support Windows won't start after removing previous windows installation in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Due to a reinstall my laptop had a dual boot system with windows 10 twice installed. Now I was finished with the migration and I used EaseUs Partition... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MightyMauz, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Windows won't start after removing previous windows installation

Due to a reinstall my laptop had a dual boot system with windows 10 twice installed. Now I was finished with the migration and I used EaseUs Partition Master to remove the old partition and add the space to the new partition. But now my windows doesn't boot anymore. It gets to the windows logo and the waiting icon under it, but it doesn't go to the user logon screen. How can I repair this?

The old situation before the resize was:
    Win 10 (old) 30 gb
    Win 10 (new) 220 gb

:)

MightyMauz, Jan 10, 2016

2. Edit partitions while installing Windows 10

Thank you for your answer.

In my previous experience, installing Windows after Ubuntu causes Ubuntu partition to be deleted. Won't this happen with Windows 10 too?

And if yes, what will happen to GRUB after removing the Ubuntu partition? Will I still be able to boot into Windows 8.1?

Thank you for your patience

AndreaPivetta, Jan 10, 2016
  3. Apps not working on LUMIA 960, running Windows 10

My mobile device was working fine until it did a windows update this morning. Now, some (but not all) of the apps won't work - both Microsoft and 3rd party. They start to fire up but then just stop and go back to the previous screen. In particular, Settings
    won't work. I restarted and also restarted after removing the battery. Can anyone help fix this please?

MarkDockings, Jan 10, 2016
  4. Windows won't start after removing previous windows installation

What I have tried so far:
    - Startup repair
    - Bcd repair
    - Bcd remove
    - Boot in safe mode

Here are the details:

Startup repair
    I've done it through the advanced startup menu and it says startup repair couldn't repair your PC
    The log file, which I accessed through command prompt says that all tests were completed successfully, and boot status indicates that the OS booted successfully.

Bcd-repair
    I have tried to rebuild the boot manager in command prompt with the following commands:BOOTREC /SCANOS
    BOOTREC /FIXMBR
    BOOTREC /FIXBOOT
    BOOTREC /REBUILDBCD
    Bcd-remove
    Also have I tried removing the bcd file entirely and rebuild it. I have followed this guide.

Safe mode
    I can start up in safe mode but I cannot do anything. It is acting strange: I get a black screen, but if I move the mouse, I see visual for about a second. I see a moving mouse cursor and the text “safe mode” in every corner of the screen. But then the screen goes completely black again.

I know that everything is still there, because I can access it through command prompt.

MightyMauz, Jan 11, 2016
  5. In the end I’ve solved the problem by creating a Macrium Reflect recovery USB stick and do a startup repair from there. Lo and behold this time windows did boot!

MightyMauz, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows won't start after removing previous windows installation

1. Windows won't start after removing previous windows installation - Similar Threads - won't start removing

2. Removing Previous Windows installations

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Removing Previous Windows installations: I have 4GB left on my primary C: drive and I want to free up space, I have used storage sense to see what is taking up the most data. Previous Windows installations is using 72.5GB, I want to know whether it is safe to delete this? I'm currently on Windows 10 and don't plan...
  3. Removing Previous Windows installations

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Removing Previous Windows installations: I have 4GB left on my primary C: drive and I want to free up space, I have used storage sense to see what is taking up the most data. Previous Windows installations is using 72.5GB, I want to know whether it is safe to delete this? I'm currently on Windows 10 and don't plan...
  4. Removing Previous Windows installations

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Removing leftovers from previous Windows 10 installation

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Removing leftovers from previous Windows 10 installation: Hello,I installed Windows 10 again because of some problems. I removed Windows.old folder from Storage Sense. But not everything is removed : For example, I found that I have some Autorun and Startup entries in the registry, in HKEY_USERS. I deleted some, but others are...
  6. Windows won't start after installation

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows won't start after installation: I upgraded my pc with a new CPU+RAM+MOBO combo. I decided to wipe the computer's storage after installing the parts. I booted up the pc from my Media Creation Tool USB, where I formatted both my drives. I then shut it down, unplugged my HDD, then in the installation tool I...
  7. Stop “remove previous Windows installations”

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Stop “remove previous Windows installations”: So, from what I understand after 10 days Windows 10 removes past feature updates to "save space". Is there any to turn it off or extend the 10 days? I can only seem to find "how to remove updates" online. I did not see anything in Services that seemed like it would stop...
  8. Windows 10 won't start after installing .NET update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 won't start after installing .NET update: Hi everyone! I made Windows updates on a PC that is not used much. After installing such updates, the PC requested a reboot to finish the installation. The shutdown worked fine, 100% completion of the update installation. Now when the PC restarts, my ASUS splash screen...
  9. Windows won't start after installing 1903.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows won't start after installing 1903.: To prepare for Ubuntu dual-boot I put the SSD in AHCI mode instead of RAID and disabled Secure Boot. That worked well, and the computer has behaved normally. After installing "2019-08 Cumulative Update For Windows 10 Version 1903" I have issues. On boot I'm told to enter...
  10. removing Previous Window Installation and Temporary Windows Installati

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    removing Previous Window Installation and Temporary Windows Installati: My laptop was upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and I've decided to stay with Windows 10. So, is it safe to now delete the following folders (See image): - "Previous Windows Installation" folder - "Temporary Windows Installation" folder I think they include the...