Windows 10: windows won't stay put

Discus and support windows won't stay put in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I guess I'm a little OCD but I like to center the windows, like control panel, personalization my pc etc. Everytime I get them perfectly centered on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by usmc362, Jan 24, 2015.

1. usmc362 Win User

windows won't stay put

I guess I'm a little OCD but I like to center the windows, like control panel, personalization my pc etc. Everytime I get them perfectly centered on the desktop when I close the windows and reopen them, they're not centered. In W7 or W8.1 they stay locked in position. Is there a cure for that or should I just take an extra Prozac*Thumbs

:)

usmc362, Jan 24, 2015

2. Desktop Icons Won't Stay Put

Hi Laurie,

As per the issue description I understand that you are facing issues with desktop icons.

I suggest you try the following step in order to arrange the icons.

• Right click on the desktop.
    • Click on view
    • Check the option auto arrange icons.
    Let us know if this helps.

Thanks.

Divya Murugan, Jan 24, 2015
  3. Desktop Icons Won't Stay Put

Nope, no help. All this did was move all the icons that I had on the right side to the left. It also arranges them in some machine-specified order, not the way I place them. It also did not address the issue of my application windows being resized
    every time they are closed or minimized.

LaurieWagnerFR, Jan 24, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

windows won't stay put

I would just wait for the next build and it might be fixed. But I would not bet on it though.

And thank you for your service!! *Biggrin

BunnyJ, Jan 24, 2015
  5. Charlie Win User
    Hey Friend. Not sure but my windows are staying where the was when I closed them. Tried the same ones you spoke of and not a problem? Have you added any third party apps to your desktop? Maybe a restart or two would make it stable again. Welcome to the forums and have a happy day*Cool

Charlie, Jan 24, 2015
  6. usmc362 Win User
    Hey Friend. Not sure but my windows are staying where the was when I closed them. Tried the same ones you spoke of and not a problem? Have you added any third party apps to your desktop? Maybe a restart or two would make it stable again. Welcome to the forums and have a happy day*Cool I'm using build 9926. Is that what you're using?

usmc362, Jan 24, 2015
  7. Charlie Win User
    Hey Friend. Not sure but my windows are staying where the was when I closed them. Tried the same ones you spoke of and not a problem? Have you added any third party apps to your desktop? Maybe a restart or two would make it stable again. Welcome to the forums and have a happy day*Cool I'm using build 9926. Is that what you're using? Yes I am using 9926 but maybe I am not understanding what your problem is.

Charlie, Jan 24, 2015
  8. usmc362 Win User

windows won't stay put

You see the way the window is centered on the desktop? I can't do that in W10. It keeps moving everytime I reopen it.

usmc362, Jan 24, 2015
  9. Charlie Win User
    Thats what I thought you ment. So have you installed windows updates. There was one that needed to be installed to help some bugs?

Charlie, Jan 24, 2015
  10. usmc362 Win User
    Ok I'll try that. I hadn't installed any updates. Thanks Charlie BTW where in Jersey are you? I'm in Lakewood. Looks like we're going to get hammered Tue&WEd. with snow.

usmc362, Jan 24, 2015
  11. Charlie Win User
    Ok I'll try that. I hadn't installed any updates. Thanks BTW where in Jersey are you? I'm in Lakewood. Looks like we're going to get hammered Tue&WEd. with snow. Yeah. Windows should have installed the updates by now. But you can have a look see in settings / updates/ veiw history
    Don't think we are in for any snow here in the mid west. Wish we was my garden could use the moisture.*Smile

Charlie, Jan 24, 2015
  12. usmc362 Win User
    Ok I'll try that. I hadn't installed any updates. Thanks Charlie BTW where in Jersey are you? I'm in Lakewood. Looks like we're going to get hammered Tue&WEd. with snow. Yeah. Windows should have installed the updates by now. But you can have a look see in settings / updates/ veiw history
    Don't think we are in for any snow here in the mid west. Wish we was my garden could use the moisture.*Smile Well I installed what updates there were but still have that problem. Is there a new build coming out in the next few days?

usmc362, Jan 24, 2015
  13. caperjack Win User

windows won't stay put

Ok I'll try that. I hadn't installed any updates. Thanks Charlie BTW where in Jersey are you? I'm in Lakewood. Looks like we're going to get hammered Tue&WEd. with snow. Yeah. Windows should have installed the updates by now. But you can have a look see in settings / updates/ veiw history
    Don't think we are in for any snow here in the mid west. Wish we was my garden could use the moisture.*Smile Well I installed what updates there were but still have that problem. Is there a new build coming out in the next few days? 9926 is out now .
    Download Windows 10 Technical Preview ISO - Microsoft Windows

caperjack, Jan 24, 2015
  14. Mystere Win User
    Have you tried holding down the ctrl key while clicking the X in the upper right corner? This saves the position and size of the window.

If that doesn't work, you may have a corrupted position cache.. I'm sure there is a tutorial somewhere on how to clear this, but I can't seem to find it.

Mystere, Jan 24, 2015
  15. cheezz Win User
    I'm having the same problem. Going back to build 9879.

cheezz, Jan 24, 2015
Thema:

windows won't stay put

1. windows won't stay put - Similar Threads - won't stay put

2. Laptop won't stay on

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop won't stay on: To keep my laptop stay on i need to press the power button and any other random button simultaneously. The random button must be continously pressed otherwise the laptop would go into sleep mode or power off. What's the issue and can you guide me to a solution....
  3. Laptop won't stay on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop won't stay on: To keep my laptop stay on i need to press the power button and any other random button simultaneously. The random button must be continously pressed otherwise the laptop would go into sleep mode or power off. What's the issue and can you guide me to a solution....
  4. Laptop won't stay on

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. The Taskbar will NOT Stay Put!

in Windows 10 Customization
    The Taskbar will NOT Stay Put!: HELP!?? NO forum question on this I can find, so here goes.... I have recently acquired a third monitor for editing AND gaming. I run 3 28" monitors in 7680x1440 using Nvidia Control Panel. Home Build System in huge full tower. Running ASUS DUAL RTX-2070 GPU ASUS...
  6. Windows 10 desktop icons won't stay put

Windows 10 desktop icons won't stay put: How do I get my desktop icons to stay put in Windows 10. Yes, I have already tried the usual fixes for this issue so please don't suggest to "Refresh", etc. I am on my third surface book, my other two did not have this issue. Thanks for any help you can give....
  7. Recycle Bin Icon won't stay put on desktop.

in Windows 10 Support
    Recycle Bin Icon won't stay put on desktop.: Hi everyone - I deal with complex issues, but this is ridiculous! W10 Pro... Have Auto Arrange Icons and Align Icons To Grid checked in View. I like my Recycle Bin in the lower left hand corner of the screen. However, it moves up four places on the left every time I log...
  8. Desktop Icons won't stay put...

Desktop Icons won't stay put...: Good day, everyone. I'm having a very unique issue, at least, to me, with my Windows 10 machine. I have Win 10 Pro and my desktop will flash for a split second and all my icons will have moved to wherever they wish to be. I spend more time re-organizing my desktop than I do...
  9. EDGE won't stay put..

in Browsers and Email
    EDGE won't stay put..: A new anomaly with Edge. I use a 24 inch monitor and most time have two browsers open. I drag the edges of both so that I have them side by side (as in pic 1). I close them and then open them again later and Edge is in a different place (as in pic 2). Firefox always remembers...
  10. Desktop Icons won't stay where I put them

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icons won't stay where I put them: I like to position all my desktop icons in a custom order, but since I took my PC into the Geeks to remove a suspected virus, my desktop icons keep returning to default positions upon restart or refresh. I've experimented with unchecking grid and align options, and even...