Windows 10: Windows won't update, locks computer up

Discus and support Windows won't update, locks computer up in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I've been working on my wife's computer that has had Win10 for the last several months. Her computer completely refuses to update Windows anymore. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by dlinden, Jan 18, 2016.

1. dlinden Win User

Windows won't update, locks computer up

I've been working on my wife's computer that has had Win10 for the last several months. Her computer completely refuses to update Windows anymore. The updates will get stuck downloading at 0% even overnight and it uses up so much of the system resources that the computer slows to a crawl, taking ages to respond to any action, if it does at all.

Things I've tried:

1) Clearing out the Software Distribution folder
    2) System restore
    3) Windows update troubleshooter
    4) Completely reinstalling Win10 via the Reset option in the Recovery menu (choosing to delete all files and programs)

The computer still locks up when trying to download any Win10 updates. The computer is a reasonably new desktop with 16GB of RAM and an AMD 8-core processor (I can get the more specific specs off of it if necessary).

Thanks in advance for your help.

:)

dlinden, Jan 18, 2016
  2. CDRW65 Win User

• Cumulative Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3081444) - Error 0x80073712

Well I for now have had enough of Windows 10 and reverted back to 8.1 What with updates that won't work and computer continually and randomly freezing/locking up then it made me realise Windows 10 is not ready for me. Under 8.1 my updates work and my
    computer never crashes or freezes/locks up. Might try Windows 10 in about 6 months time but not for now!

CDRW65, Jan 18, 2016
  3. Unable to login into Windows 10 after upgrading from Windows 8.

Original Title: Updated HP PAVILION LAPTOP FROM 8 to 10 NOW locked up,won't take password or windows little icon

Tried to update hp pavilion from 8 to 10 NOW locked up won't take my password or anything

RENEE-KLEIN, Jan 18, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

Use your computer > download Win 10 version 10586 iso file >burn it to a bootable DVD or USB.
    Take the bootable media to your wife's computer > use the F key ( possibly F12 key ) to access the boot order > set the boot order to boot from DVD or USB, depending which media you will be using > insert the bootable media > restart computer.

Installation should begin.
    You might be asked for product key > use the Skip option and continue.
    Activation will be automatic after successful install.

You can use one of the 2 links below to download the iso file :

Media Creation Tool (MCT)
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

Tech Bench
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/techbench

davidhk, Jan 18, 2016
  5. dlinden Win User
    I will give it a try and post back with the results. Thanks!

dlinden, Jan 18, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    Make sure the ISO you are downloading is the same correct version of your wife's Windows 10 such as :
    Bit version, such as 32-bit or 64-bit
    Language
    Windows edition

davidhk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows won't update, locks computer up - Similar Threads - won't update locks

2. computer locked up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    computer locked up: Contact Windows Support: +1-877-891-8898 Security Helpline is this MS message valid??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-locked-up/15934724-5c99-4d33-a4b2-a61cf507cfb6
  3. Locked up computer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Locked up computer: Last night when I logged in my computer was filled with warnings bells and whistles . A voice was saying don't touch nothing but phone 1-844-205-7522 they even put the number on my task bar . I phoned and long story short I need to know if I did the right thing BEFORE I have...
  4. computer lock up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    computer lock up: my computer keeps locking up and going back to logon screen. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-lock-up/51b99226-0ea5-42a6-9ee9-d750175c1a5f
  5. Windows computer locked up

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows computer locked up: My computer has message saying that my computer has been locked up and ip address may have been used without my knowledge at websites that contain identity theft virus. Asking to call support number. Is this legit or a scam?...
  6. computer locked up

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    computer locked up: my computer has locked up by a fake support scam. How do I unlock my computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/computer-locked-up/36a3d5ec-9e19-4ea4-b121-ee68c04d55c3
  7. Computer lock up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer lock up: My computer locks up, in any program including Windows 10 help page, sometimes for only 10 seconds sometimes for over 30 minutes, can anyone suggest why and how to fix the problem?...
  8. Computer started locking up after Windows update

Computer started locking up after Windows update: Since Windows update my computer has been locking up. It started when Chrome was on and initially I thought it was Chrome problem. But then my computer locked up when I used Exel. My antivirus is Avast and I use P all-in-one, Windows 10, 64 bit and Office 365. I tried to...
  9. KB4467702 Update won't install, computer freezes then locks up

KB4467702 Update won't install, computer freezes then locks up: A week or two ago my computer tried to do an update but it was late at night and I didn't want the computer on so I tried to shut it down, it didn't want to shutdown so I forcibly powered it down (held power button till it shutoff). Since then it won't finish installing...
  10. computer locking up

computer locking up: Hi - Windows installed updates two days ago, and since I have been having issues with it completely locking up. Should I try to roll back the latest updates? Thanks, Christina...