Windows 10: windows wouldn't shut down, then marked wrong partition active

Discus and support windows wouldn't shut down, then marked wrong partition active in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My dad's PC wouldn't shut down it would hang forever on the spinning circle. I had him try a bunch of things but I accidentally marked the C partition... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by iburnthings, Jun 4, 2016.

1. windows wouldn't shut down, then marked wrong partition active

My dad's PC wouldn't shut down it would hang forever on the spinning circle.
    I had him try a bunch of things but I accidentally marked the C partition as active.

This prevented the machine from booting.

I used the win10 disk and had him mark it inactive with DISKPART
    however it must've shuffled the drive letters because now it booted to windows 7 on his 1TB HDD instead of win10 on his 120GB SSD

Since we've marked all the HDD and SSD as inactive and used the win10 disk to repair the boot.
    Not sure what will happen next but I'm going to bed. I'll have my dad post more details if he decides to take over the thread.

:)

iburnthings, Jun 4, 2016
  2. Alan B Win User

Error 80004005 Windows update for Windows 10

On Windows XP the XP partition is marked as active. On Windows 7, 8 & 10 (probably Vista also) the System Reserved partition is marked as active.

I had a problem with a corrupt file in the System Reserved partition.

GuillermXc had a problem because his installer chose the wrong System Reserved partition (on the wrong hard
    drive).

SteveJUAE by marking your Windows partition as active I think you effectively instruct your machine to ignore
    the System Reserved partition.

Alan B, Jun 4, 2016
  3. SteveJUAE Win User
    Error 80004005 Windows update for Windows 10

Alan, you may well be correct I only pointed at a possible solutions others used on previsions versions of windows with multiple drives where the active drive may have not been the desired boot drive, I believe., but could be wrong windows wouldn't shut down, then marked wrong partition active :)

SteveJUAE, Jun 4, 2016
Thema:

windows wouldn't shut down, then marked wrong partition active

1. windows wouldn't shut down, then marked wrong partition active - Similar Threads - wouldn't shut down

2. Windows installation wouldn't create GPT partition.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows installation wouldn't create GPT partition.: Trying to install new hard drive on my laptop. I have a blank brand new 1 TB hard drive and partitioned as GPT Style partition. Downloaded the mediacreation tool for windows 10 and 11 and installed the boot disk on the blank HDD. When I try to install windows on my laptop, I...
  3. Windows installation wouldn't create GPT partition.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows installation wouldn't create GPT partition.: Trying to install new hard drive on my laptop. I have a blank brand new 1 TB hard drive and partitioned as GPT Style partition. Downloaded the mediacreation tool for windows 10 and 11 and installed the boot disk on the blank HDD. When I try to install windows on my laptop, I...
  4. Windows installation wouldn't create GPT partition.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Window shuts down in the middle of activity

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Window shuts down in the middle of activity: In the last 2 days, windows suddenly goes off on my laptop during an activity. It then restarts and while at it, it shows that the laptop will restart at 100% while the figure loads, advises to get more info on https://www.windows.com/stopcode and to give support person this...
  6. A partition on a USB stick cannot be marked as active.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    A partition on a USB stick cannot be marked as active.: Code: DISKPART> list volume Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info ---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- -------- Volume 0 Z DVD-ROM 0 B No Media Volume 1 C Windows 10 NTFS Partition 80 GB Healthy Boot Volume 2 Recovery NTFS Partition 528 MB...
  7. Marked the wrong partition as active

in Windows 10 Support
    Marked the wrong partition as active: While trying to solve a different problem i followed an article: You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive from Setup, 0xc1900104 In which i went into disk managment and marked a different partition as active which does not have an OS, how can i revert back to the other...
  8. Why is a separate partition marked as active instead of the boot drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Why is a separate partition marked as active instead of the boot drive: I have two storage devices in my PC. One is a 128GB SSD which is used as the System disk (where I installed my OS) and the other is a 1 TB HDD which is used for keeping my usual files, docs, movies etc. As I have mentioned, Windows 10 is installed in the SSD, I never...
  9. Windows marks the wrong text

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows marks the wrong text: I have an issue that is really starting to get annoying. I have had it for years, but its getting annoying lately. Sometimes if i try to mark a word or some text in my browser or somewhere else, windows seems to mark a lot of words and text that im not pointing at with my...
  10. upgraded wouldn't activate

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    upgraded wouldn't activate: I upgraded wouldn't activate, did a delete everything restore and still doesn't activate? Last four digits are not my Windows 8.1 key? 9356

Users found this page by searching for:

1. I marked partition C as active what happens