Windows 10: Windows10 broken are Start, WindowsCentral, Update & Security & more

Discus and support Windows10 broken are Start, WindowsCentral, Update & Security & more in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Notebook upgraded from 8.1 to 10 last year, all worked fine. Having not used it for 3 months I opened it up today to update Norton and Windows. Left... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by frustratedagain, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Windows10 broken are Start, WindowsCentral, Update & Security & more

Notebook upgraded from 8.1 to 10 last year, all worked fine. Having not used it for 3 months I opened it up today to update Norton and Windows.

Left click of Start button doesn't work and Windows doesn't recognize the command fix found online.

Windows Central is totally missing.

Settings doesn't work, hence no Update & Security can be found.

Is there a way to reinstall W10 given I got it free and have no copies?
    Or is there a way to fix this with some kind of download?

:)

frustratedagain, Sep 19, 2016
  2. Andre Da Costa, Sep 19, 2016
  3. Nir aj Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade

I have successfully reserved my windows10 upgrade & my windows update shows windows10 update of 2710 MB.

But, my internet speed is very low (50 kbps). Before shutting down my computer i stop downloading windows10 update. But, next time when i start my computer, windows update starts installing updates which are not completed & when i again start downloading
    wondows10 updates it starts from beginning.

How to download windows10 update for low internet speed or is there any way to stop & restart windows update without failure?

Nir aj, Sep 19, 2016
  4. Windows10 broken are Start, WindowsCentral, Update & Security & more

And there are NO recoveries to be found.

frustratedagain, Sep 19, 2016
  5. johnpd Win User
    Download the Media Creation Tool and create a USB installation disk. From there you can try a Repair Installation or if that does not work, a clean install. Get the Media Creation Tool and its instructions from here:
    Windows 10
    Check the Tutorials section for information on how to do a "Repair" installation or a "Clean" install.

JohnD

johnpd, Sep 19, 2016
  6. You should download and make a dvd of the installation media. It doesn't matter how you got it, Windows 10 can be reinstalled without need of any Product Key (and you should not enter one) because with Windows 10 the computer is registered as a Windows 10 device the first time Windows 10 is installed and activated. You are good to go.

Cbarnhorst, Sep 19, 2016
  7. Thank you for not only suggesting the best solution, but also for providing the link to it. It worked!

frustratedagain, Sep 20, 2016
  8. johnpd Win User

Windows10 broken are Start, WindowsCentral, Update & Security & more

Glad I could help. Keep that installation disk handy, you might need it again. I believe Windows 10 has some inherent instability that can jump up and grab you at any time. This is apparent from the many posts here and the thousands of posts on the Microsoft Community Forum for Windows 10.
    I also suggest that if you do not have one now, get some backup software and make regular backups of your system. I strongly recommend Macrium Reflect. It has a free version that works well. The paid version has a few more options.
    I personally do not like Norton or McAfee AVs. They tend to take over a system. I have seen them really mess systems up. I gave up on Norton long ago when I saw all the unnecessary pop-ups it kept generating. I don't know how good Microsoft's Windows Defender is. I have seen some complaints about it being the cause for 100% disk usage. I suppose it is better than nothing however. I have used ESET NOD32 for over 15 years. It is far less obtrusive, is very low on system resources, and otherwise does an excellent job. If you have had no problems with Norton, you could stick with it.

JohnD

johnpd, Sep 20, 2016
  9. I've been wishing I could find a way to backup all my documents regularly. Can you recommend a site where I can ask questions about this Macrium Reflect?

frustratedagain, Sep 20, 2016
  10. Just Google on Macrium Reflex for all kinds of articles. Macrium (even the free version) is excellent and you can set schedules for your backups quite easily.

Cbarnhorst, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows10 broken are Start, WindowsCentral, Update & Security & more

1. Windows10 broken are Start, WindowsCentral, Update & Security & more - Similar Threads - Windows10 broken are

2. Windows 11 22H2 Start Menu "More Pins" Broken

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 22H2 Start Menu "More Pins" Broken: On one PC the Start Menu options for "More Pins" and "More Recommendations" has stopped working - I can select any of the three options, and they all show the 3 rows of start menu items and don't change when selecting the different ones. Changing the setting changes the...
  3. Windows 11 22H2 Start Menu "More Pins" Broken

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 22H2 Start Menu "More Pins" Broken: On one PC the Start Menu options for "More Pins" and "More Recommendations" has stopped working - I can select any of the three options, and they all show the 3 rows of start menu items and don't change when selecting the different ones. Changing the setting changes the...
  4. Windows10 20H2 broken my system updates

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows10 20H2 broken my system updates: I dunno what happened with this update but it broke my system updater when I go to windows updates it just say please wait with the loading bar and my shut down has a Update and Shutdown/restart I've tried cleaning the software distribution folder restarting and stopping band...
  5. Broken WIFI after windows10 2004 update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Broken WIFI after windows10 2004 update: My realtek wifi adapter broke as soon as I installed Windows10 2004. I've done driver reset, rollback, update and even windows rolling back to version 1909 and fresh start but all of those didn't work. Hi Microsoft Team, do you have fix on this?...
  6. Windows update and windows security broken

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update and windows security broken: https://imgur.com/WMirS1Z -- Windows can't be updated, I get an error with the code 0x80080005 https://imgur.com/6ycffDw -- Windows security is just "security at a glance", and cant do anything else, and when I manage to get to the page where I can scan none of the buttons...
  7. Windows security is broken??

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows security is broken??: So, when I try to access my Windscribe VPN connection that pops up in the WiFi menu usually located on the task bar, Windows Security asks me for my password and username, but I don't know either. Tried my Windscribe account, failed. Tried my PC account, FAILED. Tried my...
  8. I need to ( update & security) for my windows10

in Windows 10 Customization
    I need to ( update & security) for my windows10: I need to ( update & security) for my windows10. I have a problem with update& security of my windows 10. looking for update history I found the followings message in previous months had been failed "Feature update to Windows 10 (business editions), version 1809,...
  9. Synaptics touts more secure fingerprint readers, in time for Windows10

in Windows 10 News
    Synaptics touts more secure fingerprint readers, in time for Windows10: Synaptics touts more secure fingerprint readers, in time for Windows 10 and Android M Amid an industry-wide push to eliminate passwords, Synaptics is promising a more secure way to store fingerprint data. The company’s “Match-in-Sensor” technology pairs a...
  10. Completely broken interface and more!

in Windows 10 Support
    Completely broken interface and more!: I'm having a very odd problem that my Win10 GUI interface is completely broken! but fully functional. Let me explain, the majority of the elements from the new interface is missing. When I open a win10 app (not windows native program) the interface sometimes shows as a white...