Windows 10: Windows10-New install. Unable to delete/edit certain folders/drives.

Discus and support Windows10-New install. Unable to delete/edit certain folders/drives. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi Guys Ok Im hoping this is something simple but I am weary of messing around with premissions etc. I have a couple of discovered problems I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mfx, Nov 4, 2017.

1. MFX
    mfx Win User

Windows10-New install. Unable to delete/edit certain folders/drives.

Hi Guys

Ok Im hoping this is something simple but I am weary of messing around with premissions etc.

I have a couple of discovered problems I would appreciate guidance and help for please:

I am logged on as administrator and only have the administrator profile in use (no other profiles set up or accessed at log on).

1) Also Ive inadvertently copied some files to a directory on the new install and due to my issue #1 in the OP. I cannot remove them, they appear to be stuck there.
    I can copy files into folders ie c:\Program Files\.... and Program Files (x86)\....and ProgramData\...
    Once moved I am unable to cut/delete only copy them. I can move files into them. So I selected properties for the folders, and noted they were read only. So unticked "Read Only" next to attributes, get access denied "You will need to provide admisintrator permissions to change these attributes"

Windows10-New install. Unable to delete/edit certain folders/drives. [​IMG]

press continue appears fine. However some of the sub folders are not allowing me to append the apply read only off. For example I get an "Error Applying Attributes" for c:\Programs Files (x86)\Adobe\...\Identity-H
    I have no ide why. Another examples folder is "C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ink".
    I installed Windows10 fresh last night, installed adobe PDF reader today. But this is not the only sole folder that this is happening with.

2. Now that the read only has been disabled I can not cut/delete from these locations. Only copy and the cut/delete options do not sow up on the mouse drop down menu.

3. I have a couple of external hard drives that have data on them. I am able to access the data, see the data but again unable to edit/cut the data. However I can copy it to another drive and edit it there.
    I am getting the following error:

Its worth noting that the new install, is unfortunately a new install with a different key. The previous key was replaced by Microsoft support as it wasn't activating for some reason on the new install. Likely, I guess, I hadn't dergistered it as the old rigs motherboard was faulty. I do have the previous install imaged (macrium reflect), which I can access if needed. Alternatively, I can always back up the new install and reinstall the old temporarily if needed (only a 30 min job).

Currently UACs are set to

Again any help appreciated.

Thanks

M

:)

2. DaleR3 Win User

Duplicating Subfolders

One day into the new user, and the double folders when opening drives problem has come back, the new user was only a temporary fix.

Edit: Also duplicating subfolders has come back as well.

Double Edit: I did a little more browsing, and I found that deleting a certain key from the registry actually solves this problem(for most users from what I read), I deleted the key and it worked out just fine for the most part, haven't had time to see if
    extensive use plays a factor.

DaleR3, Nov 4, 2017
  3. i accidently deleted all my folders in sky drive and im not able to sync the pictures in the picture hub now. pls help

i accidently deleted all my folders in sky drive and hence im not able to upload the pictures and even after creating new folders and adding new pictures to them, the photos does not appear in the picture hub. Rather the pictures of the previously
    deleted folders are appeared and im not able to delete them. im unable to sync the new pictures in a new folder from sky drive to picture hub.

pls help me, what should i do?

anupamnile, Nov 4, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

The require permission from s and the long number means a SID thats not on the pc is the owner of that folder it may be an old admin the name may be the same but the SID isnt

Samuria, Nov 4, 2017
  5. MFX
    mfx Win User
    OK so I've had a quick Google. I kind of get it. The data is somehow assigned due to the previous install as the owner under that SID. So what's the solution. Is there a way to change the SID to the data on that drive. Or simply back up the data to another drive. Format and resale both with the new install. ??
    Ive checked proprieties aand an see the id in the security tab with "account unknown" next to it.

So taking a single file for example, I can see this

With no option to edit. Im a little concerned on how to get the files back to general ownership?
    I followed this advice (How to fix the Hovatek Journal)
    Still prompting admin rights on some not all folders and unable to delete, even once propted with admin rights.

Although I can see and open the file.
    On one file I can see the following:

Thanks
    Is there some setting by default on a windows10pro install Ive missed. Ive not come across this issue ever, but of course where Microsoft technical have changed my product key. Im guessing thats the catalyst for this situation.

6. MFX
    mfx Win User
    One thing I haven’t mentioned and don’t know if this is relevant, the new update is the build: Version 1709 (OS Build 16299.19) should that bear any relevance. The previous version had not updated yet.

Ok so I now I seem to have resolved partially one issue as I appear to have control over most of the files and folders on the OS drive in the folders I needed to append. Although I seem to have to use admin rights, so have to confirm yes with each delete. Not ideal, but hey it works and I guess a safety net.

The issue with the SID on the external drive still remains with most of the files, but oddly not all.

Also I've jsut discovered that whilst I have access and can delete, to the recycle bin, the CTRL + Z undo command does not appear to now work either.

Bearing in mind I have the original install imaged where this was working (but the may not work, however if I keep it off the net I would imagine not an issue). What is the best workaround to get the SID changed to this system.
    What I don’t understand, it’s only this particular drive that has the issue.
    The other option would be to copy all the files to another drive as that appears to remove the SID issue (need to find a spare drive as its 3TB of data, well almost. And reformat the issue drive.

I don’t understand a great deal about permissions. I understand the logic and what’s happening, but not the technical detail and methods used to work around it. So it worries me that I may lose the data.

The ideal situation in my “layman mind” is removed the SID completely, but I have not found anything I feel confident is going to work.
    I guess the other option is to contact Windows support to see what they can offer, as they confirmed the original key was ok and remotely triggered a new key on the fresh install.
    Wish I never done this now, migration headache

If I need to reinstall windows again thats fine, takes a few days to install all the programs thus far. But for the long run it may be worth it. If necessary, as I wonder if I missed something on the original install?

7. Samuria Win User
    Samuria, Nov 5, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

What @Samuria posted - take ownership of the files/folders.

NavyLCDR, Nov 5, 2017
  9. MFX
    mfx Win User
    Hi
    Apologies for being quiet, had a couple of days offline and re-installing system programs I use (takes a few days with my spare time available).
    Thank you for your help. The take ownership works, I think I must have had an older version installed. The one you linked to solved it.
    What I noticed is that my profile is Standard user rather than admin, which is something I guess I should change and wondering if that's something I should change or just leave as is now all appears to be working. Only reason is the previous install everything was running under an admin profile, so I am not sure what has changed on the new install with the user profile. Not an issue I guess, just means when editing files in the main program files, program data and program files (x86) I need to double click the admin confirmation prompt.

What I discovered was that the admin owner authority name under the properties/security/advanced tab of the c drive was "TrustedInstaller" which I don't know is a default or not but I have amended this now (if this is not a default then I am wondering if the installation of adobe acrobat products would have changed this at any time, I may be way of base here so no worries if I am). This is now changed to my desktop profile name by amending it following the previous link I posted.

Will pop back if I encounter any issues.

Again thank you guys for your time. Particularly as I was worried over the photos and other datat with what was happening.

Really appreciated as always.

M

Thema:

1. Windows10-New install. Unable to delete/edit certain folders/drives. - Similar Threads - Windows10 install Unable

2. Unable to delete/edit WindowsApps folder on an external SSD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to delete/edit WindowsApps folder on an external SSD: Issue:I have an external hard drive with a WindowsApps folder on it and I want to modify its contents, or, if that is not possible, delete it outright. I am running Windows 10 version 10.0.19044 Build 19044.Currently, when I attempt to open the WindowsApps folder on the...
  3. Unable to delete/edit WindowsApps folder on an external SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to delete/edit WindowsApps folder on an external SSD: Issue:I have an external hard drive with a WindowsApps folder on it and I want to modify its contents, or, if that is not possible, delete it outright. I am running Windows 10 version 10.0.19044 Build 19044.Currently, when I attempt to open the WindowsApps folder on the...
  4. Unable to delete/edit WindowsApps folder on an external SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. HELP. Folder marked as D drive unable to edit

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HELP. Folder marked as D drive unable to edit: I was trying to delete a folder and it wouldn't let me. When I tried to rename it wouldn't let me as well. Please can anyone else I want to/need to delete this folder. I even tried to delete it with webroot but it wouldn't let me. Anything I attempted is denied. [ATTACH]...
  6. Surface, windows10, deleted folder

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Surface, windows10, deleted folder: I have windows 10 installed by MSFT from the network. I noticed that KBs are installed and in some cases my system rebooted. On one occasion, after a reboot, one of my folders was gone and I found it in the recycle bin. Has anyone else seen this happen? TIA...
  7. edit or delete tags in windows10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    edit or delete tags in windows10: Hi guys I'm trying to find the master list of tags used in pictures / music etc. I have quite a few misspelt ones that are being offered as suggestions. I need to edit or delete it completely from the master list. I don't want to have to go through every file. This must...
  8. Unable to Delete a Backup of a Google Drive Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to Delete a Backup of a Google Drive Folder: Hi, the attached screenshot should explain what's happening. Essentially, I made a backup of my folders last year, and the only folder that won't delete from that backup is a Google Drive folder. I don't have Google Drive installed on my PC anymore and I tried deleting it in...
  9. WINDOWS10 NEW INSTALLATION - Encrypt FOLDER ATTRIBUTE

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    WINDOWS10 NEW INSTALLATION - Encrypt FOLDER ATTRIBUTE: Hi, Can some one please give input if below issue is noticed and how it can be resolved.I have a pc of less than a year old and very recently I came to find that for a folder on right click in advanced option "Encrypt contents to secure data" checkbox is greyed out.Below...
  10. Ok to delete $Windows10.~BT folder after install?

in Windows 10 Support
    Ok to delete $Windows10.~BT folder after install?: Is it ok to delete $Windows10.~BT folder after install? Mine had 6.29Gb. *Zip 11928